Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

My sont Acer Aspire 7736z-4088 turned off while using it the

Customer Question

My son't Acer Aspire 7736z-4088 turned off while using it the other day. It did turn right back on and he continued to use it. Now it will not turn on at all and the charge light will not turn on even when plugged in.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 6 years ago.

Ben :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Ben and I'll be helping you.

Ben :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

Customer :

Hello.

Ben :

Hi there

Ben :

Try these steps:

* Take out the battery
* Unplug the laptop and remove the power cord from it
* Hold power button down for 30 secs
* Plug the power cord back into the computer, do not put the battery in yet
* Turn the laptop on
* Put the battery in and make sure it clicks

Now press the power button again.

If still nothing, can you start the computer without the battery in it (Just connected to the power outlet)? Do you hear any beeping noises?

Customer :

Did that, it did not turn on, it will not turn on with the cord and no battery, and it does not make any beeping noises.

Ben :

Ok thanks - how old is this laptop?

Customer :

14 months

Ben :

Ok - what this entails if it doesn't turn on without the battery and connected to the wall is that the connector circuit board has gone, this is in the upper right part of the laptop:

It's a small piece:

Full Size Image

Ben :

This can be repaired

Ben :

And is not too expensive, at a local repair shop, they just must either solder some contact points on the board

Ben :

Or replace it

Ben :

I do not believe the ac adapter has gone out, nor the battery, as it is too early for that stuff

Ben :

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you're still in warranty - unless you bought an extended one with Acer, it is not worth going through their service system

Customer :

Not seeing that part...

Ben :

Have you got the laptop opened up?

Customer :

Yes

Ben :

It's a bit different on all laptops, but any of the circuitry around the ac port where you plug the laptop into the ac adapter, that area there is very sensitive on laptops and can go out very easily

Ben :

On your laptop it may not be separate

Customer :

Alright, we have what we think it is. I have the exact same laptop. Is it safe to pull it out of my computer and put it in my son's to verify it is the problem.

Ben :

No it must be repaired - it will not work, it's broken, whether you pull it out or not the laptop will not start

Customer :

I wanted to put the good one out of my laptop into my son's laptop to verify before I buy a new part.

Ben :

Have you grounded yourself before touching anything in there?

Customer :

Yes

Ben :

If you have the same Acer Aspire 7736z-4088 as your son, you can try putting that part in there, but even then I cannot guarantee it will work or not because I can't be there in person to see you do it, I suggest either way you have it repaired locally.

I hope I have provided some helpful information, if so, please press Accept.

You can return to this page at any time to continue with me if you have further questions on this, just add it to your favorites/bookmarks, thank you.