Whenever I start my computer, I get a pop-up message that says

Customer Question
"IAStorIcon has stopped working." What...
Whenever I start my computer, I get a pop-up message that says "IAStorIcon has stopped working." What is that "IAStorIcon," and how can I get it to work properly again?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
5/23/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell, Computer Support Specialist

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam, i would like to help you please let me know when you are ready.

Jerry Hannell

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

I did everything according to your instructions. I followed the link you provided. I downloaded the indicated file. I then installed it. After installation, it required a restart of my laptop. And that I did. When my computer restarted, THE SAME "IAStorIcon has stopped working" message reappeared. Nothing has changed :-( So, I guess the "solution" you provided has not worked. Please HELP!!!

hello again, don't worry , we will fix it.

what is the make and model of your computer?

for example toshiba satellite a1200

It's a SONY VAIO

can you go to your start menu. go to SEARCH BAR at bottom.

into the textbox, type this:

msconfig

and press enter.

it will open your configuration utility. when you are there, please let me know.

I have done that. I now have a pop-up box that says "System Configuration."

thank you,

please go to STARTUP tab.

it will show you a list (list of programs)

do you see a program in the list related to IAStorIcon ?

Yes, I do!

please UNCHECK it (remove the tick )

and press APPLY button. and press ok. and restart your computer.

from now on, you will never get that error message again.

According to many reliable sources (online and otherwise), and according to Best Buy's Geek Squad, that "IAStorIcon" is required by many programs in order to function properly on my computer. Appearantly it is on computers for a reason, and did work fine, until recently. Once this "IAStorIcon" message started appearing, my installed programs such as "Movavi Video Converter 10," "Pinnacle Studio 14," "SightSpeed," and several others, have stopped working properly. For example, I used to be able to seemlessly upload videos from my camcorder (via Pinnacle Studio, or via Windows Media Player) via a firewire cable to my computer. That feature is no longer working. I cannot in any way get videos to upload to my computer. The upload feature in Pinnacle Studio, for example, fails each and every time now. Based on my extensive research, (and believe me, it has been very extensive!!!), this "IAStorIcon" file necessary and needs to function properly. I am NOT a computer technician, so I might be wrong. Please help me further. What is your assessment???
hello again, you can anytime start the program MANUALLY. since it is not a SERVICE, you can disable the program. it will not start automatically whenever you start your computer. BUT, you can start the program manually (by finding its icon and double clicking on it) if your pinnacle program etc. is not working, let's try to reinstall the program. please disable it first and then restart your computer. when you come back please let me know. we can try to reinstall it.
OK, I will do so, and get back to you after my computer has re-started. Thanks.

i will be here waiting.

I restarted my computer.

hello again, did you see the error message?

I did not see the error message. It did not appear. However, I have since tried to upload a video, with no success. Certain programs still do not work properly.
Are you still working on my case?

hi,

what is the model of your vaio?

for example vaio VGN-PC100

The model is: PCG-81214L
I haven't heard back from you. I am still waiting.
Could I please get some feedback?

I have prepared the required file for you,

http://tinyurl.com/23l2k2p

can you click on the link above and download it to your desktop. after the download, please let me know.

I clicked on the link, and downloaded it to my desktop.
thank you, now, can you please right click on the file you have downloaded, and then press RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. and install it.
I right-clicked the downloaded file, pressed RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, and was just about to install it when the following warning box popped-up:

"This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the following drivers with the older versions?

Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller (10.1.0.1008)"

Once I read this, I then decided not to proceed. What now? Please continue to help.

what was the last time you were able to use your programs? (Pinnacle Studio 14 etc)

we can try a system restore.

• The last time I was able to use my programs without any problems was just prior to the "IAStorIcon" message started showing up.
• Unfortunately, I cannot do a System Restore. I do not have have System Restore Discs, and I am not certain all of my files & programs are properly backed up. I am a high school teacher, and loosing any school-related files or programs, towards the end of the school year, would be a real tragedy.
• Check out this online info on "IAStorIcon" at the following link:
http://www.qwhatis.com/what-is-iastoricon/
• Why is this "IAStorIcon" issue sooo elusive??? If that file ..."has stopped working," why isn't it possible to find, download, and re-install that very same "IAStorIcon" file, so that it WORKS again? You guys are the experts. Please continue to find a solution. Don't give up on my case, please! Thanks!

hello again,

since iastoricon is already installed on your computer, there must be a problem with other programs you cannot use.

for example, Pinnacle Studio 14

can you try to reinstall your Pinnacle Studio 14 and check if you are able to use it without problems.

Hi again.

• Remember what my initial contact said? The problem is with "IAStorIcon." The message that pops up after my laptop boots says "IAStorIcon has stopped working. Windows is trying to find a solution to the problem."

• I have uninstalled and re-installed Pinnacle TWICE! I have also done the same with two other programs: "Movavi Video Converter 10" and "SightSpeed." These programs, and a couple others, have all stopped working properly, when that "IAStorIcon" message started popping up. Re-installation of these programs has not resolved the ongoing issue.

• According to several forums online, this issue of "IAStorIcon has stopped working" is not all that uncommon. Several people are reporting this very same problem. Simply type in that message in Google to see the many identical complaints.

Thank you for not giving up on my case. Please do continue to try to find a solution. You are very much appreciated!

hello,

can you click your start button.

go to ALL PROGRAMS >> ACCESSORIES

please RIGHT CLICK on COMMAND PROMPT

and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

you will see a black dos box. when you are in the black dos box, please let me know. we will enter a command.

Thanks! I am now in that black box.
I am now in the black DOS box.

thank you, in the dos box, can you type this exactly

sfc /scannow

and press enter.

I have just initiated the "sfc /scannow" process. The "verification is currently at 13%, and is moving up steadily. I will keep you posted. Thanks!
let's wait. it is scanning your computer.

The scanning has been completed.

The black DOS box now says:

"Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

What next?
have you ever seen the blue screen error?
No, I have never seen a blue screen error.
i think we have fixed it. what is the problem now? what programs are you unable to use?
Well, let us not speak too hastedly. I am, however, extremely hopeful that you are right!
Do I need to restart my computer BEFORE I try the programs in question?
yes, can you restart your computer.
Well, here I am, back on here. I apologize for not being able to get back on here much earlier today. As a school teacher, I had to attend to my classes, and then later to some very important meetings.

• I did restart my computer, but nothing has changed. I still get the temporary pop-up window with the message: "IAStorIcon has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem."

• Installed programs still are not working properly, and I am unable to upload or import any video (using a firwire cable, as I have usually done) via Pinnacle Studio 14, or via Windows' native video importing applications.

• Again, the issue is that "IAStorIcon has stopped working!" Why isn't it possible to find, download, and re-install that very same "IAStorIcon" file (that has stopped working), so that it WORKS again? In the past almost two days now, nothing you have suggested has worked. Please DO NOT give up on my case! If I am continuing to seek your assistance, it's because I do believe that HOPEFULLY very soon, or eventually, you will find a solution to this problem.

• Is this perhaps the most elusive computer problem you have ever been faced with? Why is it so difficult to solve? There is a WHOLE LOT of chatter online in forums and otherwise about this particular issue. This issue seems to be not so uncommon. But, since I am NOT a computer technician, I cannot fix the problem. I trust that you can, like others have. I have been at this issue for the past week or so now, before I finally decided to pay for your services here on JustAnswer.com. Please try to find a definitive solution that actually works. Perhaps by locating a IAStorIcon file re-download, to be re-installed, and thus reparing the one that "...has stopped working." Thank you :-)
I am waiting.....

hello again,

is your windows 7 64 bit or32 bit?

It's 64 bit.

Thank you! I downloaded the file from the file link you sent me. It is a zip file. When I unzip it, there are 8 files in that folder:

TXTSETUP.OEM

License.txt

iaStor.sys

iaStor.inf

iaStor.cat

iaAHCI.inf

iaAHCI.cat

F6Readme.txt

Here are my TWO questions:

1) Which one of these files am I supposed to install? Or, is it all of them?

2) How do I install it or them?

Neither of them are exe files, so I don't know how to install them.

Please provide some more guidance as to how to install the various files that came in the zip file you recommended I download via the link you provided.

I haven't hear back from you, or from anyone, since my last follow-up response/request.

Please repond. Thanks!

hello again, sorry for the delay,

can you please go to your device manager.

when you are in device manager, please let me know. (if you don't know how to go there please let me know)

do you see a yellow exclamation mark there? (do you see an item related to RAPID INTEL or RAPID INTEL STORAGE etc? (in device manager)

Hi, good morning! Thank you for responding :-)

I am in my Device Manager small window. There is no yellow exclamation mark there, and there is no INTEL or RAPID INTEL STORAGE in the (initial) surface list that I see in the window. Here is the list of items I see:
► Batteries
► Bluetooth Radios
► Computer
► Disk drives
► Display adapters
► DVD/CD-ROM drives
► Human Interface Devices
► IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
► Imaging devices
► Keyboards
► Mice and other pointing devices
► Monitors
► Network adapters
► Portable Devices
► Processors
► Sound, video and game controllers
► System devices
► Universal Serial Bus controllers

hello again,

what do you see under DISK DRIVES ? (can you expand that menu and you will see the sub-items)

The sub-items under "Disk Drives" are:
► Brother MFC-240C USB Device
► ST9500325AS

I haven't received any response back from you since 12:00 noon.

hello again, sorry for the delay.

can you please try this:

please click on your start button.

into the SEARCH section, type this:

msconfig

and press enter.

go to STARTUP section.

press DISABLE ALL and then press APPLY

when done, go to SERVICES tab. check HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES checkbox

and then press DISABLE ALL again. and press APPLY

close it. and restart your computer.

please let me know how it goes. your computer will start in basic mode. (it will be faster)

Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell