OneNote crashes on me a lot. I get the message it is not

Customer Question
OneNote crashes on me a...
OneNote crashes on me a lot. I get the message it is not responding. When I close it, I get this message. The exception unknown software exception (0ex0000002)
occurred in the application at location 0x751eb727.
ONENOTE>EXE-Application Error
OneNote>EXE-Application Error: The exception unknown software exception (0ex0000002)
Can you help me?
Thank you.
It only recently started happening
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
5/11/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

What's the version of MS Office you are using? Do you have the same issue with any other Office program, i.e. Word for example, or just with OneNote?

Regards
I am using Office 2010 and the newest Windows program. Now the program crashes each time I open it. Online I find I am not the only one. thanks for your help. Also, have only had it happen with this program, but do not use the others as much.
Okay, and when did you first start having this issue with OneNote?

Regards
One evening I was attempting to past quite a lot of information into a page. The page couldn't take it. So, when the program restabilized, I deleted the page and did not attempt to repaste the information. Rather, I broke it up and pasted it into Word.

In any event, now it crashes each time I attempt to paste anything, even quite small amounts, or scroll from the bottom to the top of a section inside a page even if the section is not long, jump from one section to another in one page, or go from the page to the side area to go to another page or go from the content area to the headline or attempt to go from one notebook to another.
Okay, and when, timewise, was it?

Regards
Probably 5 or 6 days ago, and it was after my maching gathered all of my onenote notebooks into one location on my documents area. Prior to this, for some reason, they were randomly distributed on the documents area. I often wondered about this.
Also, machine is 64 bit if that makes any difference.
Okay. First off, please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then restore your system back to a date and time prior to when you started having this issue with OneNote.

Restart normally thereafter, and let me know if this does the trick.

Keep me posted.

Regards
As I am not very adept at these things and haven't a clue as to what or how to do these things can I try to do them first before I hit accept answer? Will everything I had done since then be undone, since I spent quite a lot of money at a store to have this worked on because I did not know microsoft still had a service to help people?
Certainly; you may try the system restore process first, and see if it works for you. Rest assured, all of your personal data, i.e. documents, photos, etc., will remain intact; only the programs/updates you had installed after the date you carry out the restore back to, will be rolled back. Keep me posted.

Regards
I went to system restore and it only goes back to May 7. The problem started prior to that because that is the day I tood the machine into the local store to get it looked at. They were able to fix the slowness at start-up, but do noting with onenote.
Okay, did you make sure to check the "Show more restore points" checkbox as well?

Regards
but I will try it again.
May 7 is as far back as it goes.
I see. Now, do you have the MS Office installation disk/download with you? Also, are you using Outlook?

Regards
I have these materials, but I removed office and reinstalled all of the programs once already. It did not solve the problem.

No, I did not buy outlook.

Sorry.
No problem; now, let's try a clean reinstall of Office. First off, please click on the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Scroll down to the 'Office 2003/2007/2010 suites' headers, then download the Fixit tool listed for Office 2010. Run the tool following the on-screen directions to remove Office 2010 completely, then restart and reinstall Office 2010 thereafter, and let me know if this resolves your issue all right.

Regards
Hi, I have attempted to reinstall the program, but I get the following error message: Setup Error1303 C Program Files x86

Also the program that I downloaded to fix the problem, i.e., to uninstall the programs was Windows\System32\cscript.exe while I have a 64 bite or whatever machine. Does that make any difference?

Thanks for your patience and help.
The Fixit tool should work just as well in 64-bit systems. Now, are you using an installation disk for Office, or a download?

Regards
I am using an installation disk.
Okay. Please go to Start > Computer, right-click on your disk drive, and select Open. In the folder window that comes up, right-click on the Setup file listed, and select 'Run as administrator'. Let me know if you are able to install the Office program all right this way.

Regards
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Can I still recontact you for help?
Certainly; just add this page to your Favorites, and you will be able to get right back to me later on.

Regards
I did this and still get the same message. I am the administrator of the computer.

Now what?
Do you get error 1305? Were you able to find the Setup file itself?

Regards
No, how do I do this? I would be looking for setup.exe?
Please go to Start > Computer, right-click on your disk drive, and select Open. In the folder window that comes up, right-click on the Setup.exe file listed, and select 'Run as administrator'. Let me know if you are able to install the Office program all right this way.

Regards
I am running Norton 360. I can get as far as setup and the right click to see "run program as administrator," but then Norton won't let me access to the innerds to do any thing. Instead, Norton automatically asks if I want to allow microsoft to alter my computer programs. When I reply, it automatically starts the instllation process. I cannot determine how to shut down this procedure to I can get around it.

Sorry and now what.
I see. So, when the installation process starts, do you get the same error code this time?
Okay. Now, please carry out a clean uninstall of Norton in your system by downloading the Norton Removal Tool, using the following link:
http://tinyurl.com/y7qe88

PS - If the direct link doesn't work, use the following link instead:
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Done that, run the tool to look for and remove any traces of Norton present in your system, restart normally and check if you can install Office as administrator now.

Finally, let me know so that I can walk you through reinstalling Norton thereafter.

Regards
I am not sure where the Norton disks are. Will I need them?
No you won't, if you had renewed Norton online, and/or have a Norton product key with you. Keep me posted.

Regards
I accomplished these things. Norton seemed to be uninstalled, (I used the http://tinyurl.com/y7qe88 link) but when I attempted to use the "run as administrator" link, I still got the message asking me if I wanted to allow this program to change my computer. After running the uninstall program numerous times and being unable to find the source of the problem, nothing to do but agree and move forward.

Lucky me, I got the program reinstalled as a totally new install (and have to reregister programs), but found that OneNote still has the same error problem:

The exception unknown software exception (0xe0000002)

occurred in the application at location (0x7588b27).

Any suggestions?

Thank you and I did find the disks for Norton. Do not like this clutzy program (Norton) not OneNote (Like that when it works). Any suggestions for a better and easier and faster protection program?

Thank again.

Norton does have issues with slowing the system down, and having compatibility issues with other programs; I personally use BitDefender Internet Security - it's faster and more stable than Norton. If you would like to give it a try:
http://www.bitdefender.com/world/solutions/internet-security.html

Now, as for your issue with OneNote, one quick troubleshooting step you can take with OneNote is to start it with the /safeboot switch. Go to Start, and type in the following in the search field:
onenote /safeboot (make sure to include the single space between onenote and /safeboot)

Press ENTER; OneNote will start and present you with a couple of troubleshooting options. One of these options is to clear the OneNote cache and the other is to clear the customized user settings, which basically resets OneNote back to the default. Select the option to clear the cache, and let me know if this resolves your issue all right.

Regards
Is this bitdefender easier to use for a nonsophisticated user who does not like to mess around with program innards than Eset. I used that for awhile, but found it somewhat difficult to manuever
No, BitDefender will give you the option to automatically set everything for you if you are a normal PC user, so no worries in that regard. Now, did you carry out the steps with OneNote as directed?

Regards
Is bitefender easier to use for individuals who do not like to mess around with the innards of programs in terms of setting things up and tweeking them. I used Eset for awhile and felt protected, but not as much as I would have if I had know how to use it fully. As did not fully understand how to set up the program because the instructions were not understandable,

Never mind, sorry, could not see post
I tried this three times in safeboot mode and I got and same response each time. The program crashed with the same message.
Hmm, did you get the option to clear the cache itself?

Regards
There were no options given. The only thing that occurred was program openning in its normal mode. When I openned it this last time, it immediately told me it was not responding.
Hmm, Okay. Now, could you do a system restart now, then without opening OneNote normally, try the /safeboot switch one more time, and let me know?

Regards
How late do you work?
I'll be going off in a few minutes; we can take this up tomorrow if you would like; just add this page to your Favorites for now.

Regards
That sounds fine. I would like to get my antivirus software installed. Thank you so very much for helping me and for your patience.
No problem; see you tomorrow then. Thank you too for your patience so far.

Regards
Any new thoughts? Could file size have anything to do with it and if so how would one handle the problem?
I'm back; please let me know when you are there, so that I can continue further.

Regards
Hi, I am here. When I openned the program just now, it indicated it was synching something and then crashed. Now I cannot open it in safemode.

Also, I just attempted to open it normally one more time and closed a huge notebook and openned a couple of small ones and it worked, then I openned a small one with links to the big one and it crashed, as it had with the big one. Is it the size of the note books?
That might certainly be the case here; could you do a system restart now, and try opening up the OneNote program using the /safeboot switch again, and then without selecting any option, let me know first?

Regards
onenote / safeboot with the spaces before and after the / ?
Just a single space before the /safeboot, and with no spaces between / and safeboot. Keep me posted.

Regards
I get a message that says OneNote Critical Error Recovery and it gives me three options.
Okay, good; and what are the options - only the headers, please?

Regards
1 Start OnedNote Normally
#2 Clear OneNote Cache
#3 Delete OneNote Settings
Please select Option #2, i.e. to clear the cache, then open up OneNote and let me know how you get on with it now?

Regards
It worked for a bit when I openned the large file, but then crashed shortly after I started moving between sections and adding headings.
My apologies for the delay in follow up. Now, could you restart and use the /safeboot switch once again, then use Option #3, i.e. to delete settings, and see if this makes any difference?

Regards
I accomplished the task and it went directly into the program and crashed. I then rebooted and openned the program in the regular way. It worked for a longer period of time and then crashed in the same manner: not responding and same error message when I attempted to close it.
Hmm, this might indicate a deeper issue with your system itself, not necessarily with the program. Now, as a test - please go to Start, and type in msconfig in the Run/search box; right-click on the msconfig result that comes up above, and select 'Run as administrator'.

In the System Configuration Utility window that comes up, click on Services, then check 'Hide All Microsoft services', then click 'Disable All'. Done that, click on Startup, then click 'Disable All'.

Hit Apply thereafter, restart your computer, and check if you can open/use the OneNote program all right this way.

Regards
It does not respond at all and I cannot close it.
Did you make sure to restart your computer?
I did not the first time, too much multi-tasking; then I did, but should I have gone through the process again and then shut down and then started.

I did not go through the process again, just shut down and started the program. It just stopped functioning after a short time.
I see. Now, please try creating a new user account through the Control Panel now, then log on to that account, and see if you can get OneNote to work using in the newly-created account. Keep me posted.

Regards
I am sorry to waste your time with this question: but I have been able to create the new user account and the program is available.

I am able to get to the notebooks and can post them to a local network.

But the issue is that I did not originally make the notebooks available on the web or on a network as I did not need to.

How do I establish a network and make the notebooks available to the other user?
I am sorry, but I think I miswrote. I thought I might be able to post the notebooks to a local network, but they seem to crash the program without openning the actual program. Let me do somemore checking.
I have now made the Libraries of the Administrators and the new users spaces available as read/write status to both users, but now what?
Do I understand this right?
  1. I have to purchase Microsoft Outlook?
  2. I have to establish a new email address in outlook for this imaginary new user?
  3. And I have to use Outlook myself as the administrator?
  4. Is it possible for two users to use one outlook program (I can not believe that is so)?
  5. Or do I have to purchase two outlook programs?
  6. Do I then have to create a totally new space in a what is deemed "a shared space" where I move all of the files from the old notebook program on my admin account so they can be emailed to the new user account?
  7. There has to be an easier and cheaper way, doesn't there? I have already spend $58 to get this problem solved. And it has taken precious resource time on both sides.
Thanks for any help and I do hope you can reply in a timely manner.
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist