Someone has taken over control of my computer and I need help

Customer Question
stopping them. I was...
Someone has taken over control of my computer and I need help stopping them. I was just sending same question from my cell phone and of course got disconnected. I am on the problem computer right now...fingers crossed!

A few months ago I installed IIS 7.0 and a couple other similar programs (free trials). I'm not sure what I did wrong but somehow I am blasting out my computer's connection as free or something and I keep getting hacked into. They take over my mouse and monitor. Files have been added, changed, I am blocked out of my own programs and Window's programs, they've taken my printer and I am now denied access to "Install a new Printer" wizard and deleting my own personal files.

I have tried uninstalling the IIS and free trial programs (access denied). I've tried deleting files and programs (access denied). I've also tried restoring to earlier time twice, the last time I took computer back to November 2010 I believe. I'm not very comfortable with the registry modify but that will be my next try.

Thank you :)
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
5/7/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

What is the brand and model of your computer?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you have the windows / recovery disk?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Let's try the following:

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

If that does not work, please go to Safe Mode with Networking again, then click below and click on download now, to download and install the anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

Hi :) it's a Dell Studio 1749. It came with no disks but a partition that has the recovery on it? this is the only computer I have and cannot print these instructions. I have done all so many scans but mostly from Microsoft, Malware, Spyware, One-time scans, etc. can I try this scan now?

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can copy and paste the instructions to Word

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can add to favorite this web page

Viet - Computer Tech :

But it looks like you've tried scanning everything.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have windows 7 right?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Well, you can try to scan with my program in Safe Mode with Networking.

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

well I've tried a lot of scans, can you hook into my computer? how am I broadcasting my computer?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Also, use the CCleaner to fix your computer if needed:
http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol;1

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

yes windows 7 ultimate

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry, there is no remote login, but I will try to help you.

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

i don't think I've done the cnet scan...do I have to be in safe mode? I haven't been able to get into safe mode for a couple days

Viet - Computer Tech :

If all fails, we can try to backup your files and then use the built-in recovery partition, if there is, to reinstall windows.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, safe mode with networking scan is safer

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

I don't know what is happening to my computer...lots of files being changed. I've been demoted from Admin to I don't know what but I can't do a lot of things on my computer. I am the only user.

Viet - Computer Tech :

There could still be viruses/spyware or Windows is really corrupted.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try my suggestions first. If it does not work, we can reinstall windows.

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

ok....how do I get back here?

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can bookmark this web page to get back to me later.

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

okay, wish me luck :)

Viet - Computer Tech :

Good luck!

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

haha thanks! back in a few I hope

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok, see you!

JACUSTOMER-uhxuej5v- :

Hi there Viet,

Thank you for your e-mail. I wasn't ever able to complete your suggestions since I couldn't get online long enough to find the correct website before the hacker took over my desktop. Now it seems that whoever is hacking my computer has completely removed all my wireless/network/modem cards and disabled my account from joining any network (LAN, WAN, and Internet)?!?

I think I'm going to reformat my hard drive and purchase a different OS (I'm looking at Open BSD and Linux so far). I lost some of my programs, most accounting work, and they've completely hijacked my printer. I also have a d-link network card installed on my computer (that isn't mine) in the open access position, and no options to remove or delete. They modified my registry file and my boot partition and removed my original system image. I have no idea what files, if any, were copied or removed. Every time I check my e-mail, all mail has already been read, except for my hotmail account. Even with my files being P/W protected (as if that does any good). I'm afraid this might have a negative impact on my bookkeeping work.

This has all been so very frustrating. I tried so many spyware, virus, malware McAfee (purchased), Microsoft Security, Sophos, MS One scan, SuperAntiSpyware (purchased), Anti-nalwarebytes (donation), and several other "links" from MSDN, Windows, Microsoft-tech, and geek website recommendations for one-time scans. Even with all the proactive, preventative security measures I have tried, NOT ONE SINGLE PROGRAM was able to detect or repair any vulnerabilities or properly block intruders, or find that Microsoft bootmgr file was modified, corrupt, and/or changed along with several other files having to do with Group Policy. I've made copies of as many files as I could. I have two external hard drives (1TB and 2TB) but I'm afraid to connect to them because I think they've installed something on those as well. The last time I plugged the 2TB in to get a file, I got the "access denied" message.

I think one of the most disappointing of all this is Microsoft's "Security" program could not detect that their very own files have been changed. They all seem to look for certain virus/bot/worm lists but technology today (Cloud, Windows Live, Windows PowerShell, etc) makes it easier for others to not only see your private files online, but if there is any type of breach in security, such as faulty firewall settings, someone with programming skills can actually get into your computer, run PowerShell right there in some sort of hidden browser window or desktop and modify your registry, group policy, levels of trust, certificate validity, and whatever else they please. They were able to do those things on my computer and make it look as though I personally modified these files, breached their security and therefore put my Windows program on the list for certificate revocation. Is Microsoft helping the hackers or trying to help prevent hacking? I think they are on the hackers side. They sure have made things easier for them.

I don't know what else to do except reformat. Hopefully this will truely wipe out all the old settings. Last week I restored to factory image but at some point during the day everything seemed to get rolled back to the old. Also, I've noticed that my OS is listed as Windows NT, not Windows 7 Ultimate, which is what I actually have.

Let me know your thoughts when you can. I can't deal with this any longer.

Thank you much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry about that

Viet - Computer Tech :

I suggest just to reinstall windows / reset the computer to factory settings, this will wipe out all the previous programs/files/settings

Viet - Computer Tech :

So backup your files first.