Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

My laptop use to be able to print wirelessly to a printer that

Customer Question

My laptop use to be able to print wirelessly to a printer that is connected via a USB to our home office PC via a connection to a wireless router. All of a sudden, my laptop does not recognize the printer. When I tried to install/update with a new driver for the printer on my laptop, I can't complete the process since it can't find the printer. Meanwhile, my laptop is indeed connected to the home wireless network and the internet and two other mac laptops are able to recognize and print to the same printer.

Any suggestions for fixing the problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Please go right next to the printer and try to connect. Sometimes you need to be close for the initial connection. After it is detected again you should be able to print from everywhere you were able to before as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JS2348

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

If you meant that I should try to print from close to the printer, it still did not find the printer. I have tried going through windows troubleshooter with no success. Should I try reinstalling the driver from nearby? As mentioned previously, last time I tried to complete a driver update of my printer (an hp psc 2510 all in one series) the install wizard came back with... "Setup was unable to detect any printers on the network" so then I clicked next to get assistance with discovering the printer and it asked that I temporarily connect to the printer to the network, but it already is via the USB port. So here is the configuration in my house. 1. My printer is directly connected to a USB port on my Sony desktop and I can print directly to the printer from the Sony with no problem. 2. My Sony is hardwired into my Lynksys router. 3. My linksys router is tied into my cable modem. 4. I have a Dell computer desktop that is also hard wired into the Lynksys router. 5. I have a home local area network set up between my Sony and Dell desktops which also includes the HP 2510 printer in question. 6. I can share files on the network between these two desktop computers. 7. I have no problem printing from the Dell Desktop to the networked printer. 8. I can access the internet via the wireless network from any of the computers, including all of the laptops. 9. My two mac laptops can "see" the 2510 printer and can print to it no problem. So that is the layout. So I have looked online for solutions, tried the Windows troubleshooter, HP's suggestions, blogs and have not had success. Look forward to hearing some other ideas. THANKS

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Yes I meant to try reinstalling from close to the printer. As close as you can get then let me know the results.

JS2348

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Does not work. During installation (though a driver is already installed), as mentioned above the HP install wizard can not find the printer and says "Installation can not continue until the printer is connected to the network"

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Ok if you click on start and then on printers does the printer show there?
(if printers is not there type printers into the search box and press enter.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it is there.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Ok right click on it and click on delete.
Then restart your computer.
After restarting go back to the printers folder.
Then click on add printer and use the wizard to connect again.
Make sure you choose networked printer when it asks.
After it connects/installs do not try it yet.
Instead restart the computer again and then test it.

JS2348

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

okay, I will try this, but I have an appointment coming up. How do I get back in touch with you or someone else tomorrow morning.

thanks,

gordy

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Take all the time you need, you can bookmark or favorite this page and then use that to get back to me. You can bookmark this page by holding down ctrl on the keyboard and while holding it down pressing the D key.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok. later
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Ok bye, talk to you later.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not much time, but wanted to let you know that I tried what you suggested, starting with deleting the printer from the Printer and Faxes page and rebooting the system. I then proceeded with the Add a Printer step, but got stuck in the Wizard.....after selecting the Network Printer option and pushing Next, I had options to 1. "Browse for a Printer", 2. "Connect to this Printer" or 3. "Connect to a Printer on the internet or on a home office network". I first tried #1 but no shared printers could be found, thus the Wizard window popped up stating "You need to specify a valid printer name" . And then option #3, I didn't know the URL address for the printer. So once again I am stumped why my laptop doesn't "see" the printer?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
  1. Load paper if necessary, and then press the Setup button ( ) on the front of the product.
  2. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight Network , and then press OK .
  3. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight Print Network Configuration Page , and then press OK . The Network Configuration page prints.
    NOTE: Save the configuration page for future reference. You need the IP address on it for scanning.
  4. Open Microsoft Internet Explorer or your preferred Internet browser.
  5. Find the product IP address on the printed configuration page, type the address into the browser address line, and then press Enter . The Embedded Web Server (EWS) opens.
    Figure 3: Example IP address
  6. In the EWS, click the Networking tab, and then click the Wireless tab under "Network Settings."
  7. Click to select the option Select Network Name (SSID) , and then click your network in the drop-down list of networks.
    Figure 4: Select network in the EWS
    If your network in encrypted, select Enabled in the "Encryption" section, and then type your WEP/WPA key in the line below.
  8. Click Apply , and then click OK to complete the changes.
  9. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the product.
  10. Then try adding it again.

JS2348

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In step 3 above, the IP address on the printer only shows 0.0.0.0 and entering this does not open the embedded web server. I did notice on the printer's Network Menu that the Wireless Radio is in the "off" position, if that is anything of significance for the problem at hand.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
Yes please turn it on and then try those steps again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Still results in the same 0.0.0.0 address.

Also, FYI if this might help......from my wife's mac laptop, the printer's URL is SMB://downcomp:139/printer

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 8 years ago.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
It looks to me like the printer is being hosted via a desktop or other computer, and you connect to it that way.

Try this.

Go to start, all programs, accessories, Run

In the run box type

\\downcomp
and hit enter.

If you see the printer there, double click it, or right click it and click Connect.

Furthermore, the share name of the printer looks like "Printer".

So you could connect to it this way.

Go to add printers, choose "local printer"

Select 'Create a new port'

and choose Local Port

Click next and type this EXACTLY into the path.

\\downcomp\printer

And click next or ok. Continue the wizard. You should get a printer up there that's a direct share to the proper one.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Per my description up above on Friday May 6th at 5:15.... my HP 2500 all in one series printer is attached to my office desktop via a USB. This desktop is connected to a wireless router in addition to being part of a local network which has one other desktop in a different part of the house attached to the network via ethernet cable. Anyway, I tried your suggestions and for the first one, I recieved a response window for \\downcomp stating that "The network path was not found"; and for the second one I received a response window for Local Port stating the same thing.

Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
Sounds like a firewall issue then. Go to start, type network and sharing center. On the main screen do you see something set to public? Needs to be set to home or private. If not there your virus scan could be blocking the connection and I would recommend removing it, testing, then reinstalling it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I turned off the firewall in my Norton Security, but the steps still didn't work. And I turned off the firewall when I tried each of the previous suggestions as well.

Also just as background, originally when my wireless printer connection worked on my Dell Laptop (for the last two+ years) and prior to deleting the printer from the Printers and Faxes list per one of the suggested steps in correspondence above, the printer was Named "Auto hp psc 2500 series on DOWNCOMP" on my Dell Laptop (XP) and its location was \\DOWNCOMP/Printer2.

I would be happy to provide the screen shots of the various steps I have taken, but can't seem to copy into this field.

Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
Not necessary. My main point is this.

If you can't initiate a share via \\downcomp and other computers can, the issue is your laptop.

Its being blocked, and disabling norton isn't enough to take it out of the equation (just for your reference).

Look at it this way, if ANYTHING is shared from downcomp, its published to the network.

To initiate a share to downcomp, using the \\downcomp, it will yield results if the computer has any ability to see it. If it can't see it at all, generally this is due to firewall restrictions, it has nothing to do with the printer. Your printer would have worked again if you determined what was blocking the connection.

Couple things to check, be sure you're on your own network and it didn't jump to some other wireless network.

As stated, remove any firewalls possible.

Perform a system restore (start > accessories > systems tools > system restore) and roll back to a date when it previously worked just in case a windows update caused the issue.

Lastly, try a direct IP connect.

To do this, go to the downcomp PC that's hosting the Printer.

Go to start, in the searchbox type cmd and hit enter.

Or go to start, and click run (if its running XP).

Type ipconfig

Scroll through the list and look for IP Address

it will be something like 192.168.0.100

In place of downcomp, put the IP address in to initiate the share.

\\192.168.0.100

For example.

And that should connect to it given there's nothing obstructing the connection.

Furthermore, you can check the printer's true share name by right clicking the printer, clicking printer properties, and clicking "sharing" tab and the name will be there.

But as stated, that part is irrelevant if the computer can't be seen.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok.thanks. I will try these suggestions. Per your previous suggestion re go to Start, type Network and Sharing center, etc I don't see where to do this. If I go to the Wireless Network Connections Properties window, the box is unchecked next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
What version of windows? If its vista or 7 type network and sharing center in the search box after clicking start then hit enter
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am on XP.

But the good news is that I replaced \\downcomp with the IP address in the Browse stage of the Add a Printer wizard (via the Network Printer) and wizard found and installed the printer. FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED, YEAH.

So then I tried printing something and here is what happens.........When I try printing a Word doc for example, the first print window comes up with the default printer as the one I just id'd via the wizard and then when I OK, I get an MS Word Window stating that "The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue?" When I press yes, the printer prints out a blank page. And for a different example when I try a Print Preview within an Excel document, the preview is blank.

Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
That sounds driver related.

Go ahead and try to run the Hp install software again and see if its able to detect the printer over the network now.

If it does not, go to your printer, right click it, properties. Advanced tab and select new driver, or update driver. Choose have disc and pop in your HP disk.

What could have happened is, it took the driver installed on the desktop rather than the HP driver the XP machine has cached. So just grab the one off the disc.

Another thing you can do is go to www.hp.com and download the newest drivers for your printer.

And last but not least, hook the printer up physically to the laptop. Install the print drivers (preferably the ones from HP) and confirm the printer is working directly connected via USB.

AFterwards, plug it back into the desktop that's sharing it.

The printer it just installed on XP machine will say offline or whatever. RIght click it, click printer properties. Choose ports.

Add a local port.

Type it in like this (you said it connects by IP address now)

\\192.168.x.x\printersharename

And add that port and use it as the default port. THis will allow you to use the local drivers and force the network share.

Replace 192.168.x.x with whatever the desktop's IP address is, and replace the printersharename with the actual shared name of the printer (which you can check going to printer properties, and clicking the share tab to see the exact name).

Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration