I purchased a modem model #sbg901 to replace a cable modem

Customer Question
from the cable company....
I purchased a modem model #sbg901 to replace a cable modem from the cable company. During the installation process on my laptop it would not work/read the set up disk because I had a virus/trojan on my system. I turned it in to a computer place to get cleaned up/fixed while they gave me a loaner in which I then did the installation process and it worked. Well I got my laptop back and I have tried to connect with the motorola modem...it asked me for the security password XXXXX I tried every password I know but to no avail. I am now connected back to the cable modem to try to get this resolved...How am I supposed to reset the admin password XXXXX I can get this process started on my laptop?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
4/29/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Lets try and log into the SBG901 and change your wireless password.

You will need to be directly connected to the SBG901

then

1. click this link 192.168.0.1
  2. Type “admin” in lowercase in the username field.
  3. Type “motorola” in lowercase in the password field.
  4. Click on the “Security” button at the left side of the Configuration Manager
you should see a section that says, wpa key, psk, password, network key, or passphrase.

In there is your password.

Write it down.. Or change it.

Then.. you now have your wireless network password.

If you get stuck, or have any questions. Let me know!

Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.

Thanks!
I connected back to the Motorola box and get a cannot connect bs message...I have to connect back to the cable company box to even communicate here.
Ok..

we may need to reset the motorola then and start over.

Turn router around;

Find the small pinhole usually located by the power cord;

Stick something like a paperclip in it and press down firmly for 1 minute;

wait until you see the lights blink and then go out;

Then; unplug the power cord from router for about half a minute;

Then, plug it back in.

This is the only way it will finalize reseting and it takes away your encryption;

resets your network name back to motorola

Now.. try to connect to it again..

Any progress?

You are not going to believe this....15 seconds of pressing that pinhole with a paperclip (didn't even press that hard!) it popped through and it didn't reset.....this is unbelievable.....does that mean I am out 99 bucks and have to get a new one or i can take it back and get another one? I am so pissed at this kind of crap happening.....always have to be so damn difficult....

You just purchasd it right?

Take it back to the cable company and tell them its broken.

They will replace it for free.!!!

Problem solved!
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist