Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist
Experience:  14+ Years of Extensive Computer Repair Experience.
27991594

my netflix stops playing I talked to netflix they said that

my netflix stops playing I talked to netflix they said that I need to reconfigure my belkin router to open up ports 80 & 443 and this will take care of the problem. How do I do this

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you in resolving your Netflix issue. Are you trying to view netflix on your computer or game console?

Customer:

my television

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

So that I understand you correctly. Are you saying that your TV alone had Netflix installed directly into it without the use of any other devices?

Customer:

i have net flix in one room on my wii. i have a netflix enabled tv with a wireless adapter in another room. netflix says the problem is in my router which is wired to my computer

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

I gotcha. Are you having any issues watching it on your wii?

Customer:

not that i have noticed

Customer:

netflix was looking at my speeds last night and they said it is dropping from (i forget the toop end) down to .8 they said I need to reconfigure my router to open ports 80 & 443 and this will take care of it

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

Sorry for the 20 questions. I personally have Netflix on 2 Xbox 360's and a wii on a linksys router and can tell you that no ports have to be forwarded as their telling you to do and I'm on dsl internet. Most routers now days are set to automatically open up ports on an "as needed basis" called UPnP.

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

The fact that your wii works fine and your tv doesnt has me to believe that there is another issue involved.

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

Does it work and then lag and return to the main screen, or just not work at all on the tv?

Customer:

it starts playing then the picture will pause and skip. then the screen goes blank. there will be a red bar on the bottom that says retrieving in about 30 seconds the movie will start back up

Customer:

my wireless router is @ 40' away from my tv that has the wireless adapter. could this be the issue

Customer:

this was not a very expensive router

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

I had this exact same issue with a cheap netgear router before getting a good linksys. 40' isnt too bad if its just a hallway, but as soon as you involve a maze like atmosphere that the signals have to bounce off of to reach the router and bad, your left with a useless signal.

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

Does the TV have a built-in or external antenna/

Customer:

i am not sure does this have to do with the tv or the wireless adapter. the tv is only about four months old it is a sharp aqous

Customer:

the wlan adapter is mad by netgear. when I am in this room with an ipod touch or nintendo ds i show low signal(they still work though) but if I am using a laptop it is ok

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

A computers WLAN and routers transmitter are a lot stronger than that of lower voltage based devices. A device can receive a signal at 40% but the router will only see about 15-20% of it back. That ratio of coarse can be greatly improved by a stronger router transmitter with a more sensitive receiver by buying a better router.

Customer:

so you are saying that I need to buy a better router and this should take care of the problem. do you have any suggestions on what to buy. i don't want to buy more than what i need to do the job. i ussually go to best buy

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

Here's what i would do and have done when I had lag issues while watching Netflix and using Xbox live. Goto either Best Buy or even Walmart...they carry the same brand of linksys, and buy the black linksys by cisco router that looks like this:

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Cisco - Linksys E3000 High-Performance Wireless-N Router[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

One sec....

XXXXX XXXXXndsey :

Just use the back button to get back to me or open in new window

Customer:

ok thanks. i'll accept your answer now so you get paid