I have a corrupted global Word 2003 template now - when using…

I have a corrupted global...
I have a corrupted global Word 2003 template now - when using your support page and performing the Sys 32/cmd, I get a syntax error. I want to change to a normal.dot template, as I believe this may resolve the situation. The instructions in Win XP Media Center is ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot OldNormal.dot -... Read full answer
I have a corrupted global Word 2003 template now - when using your support page and performing the Sys 32/cmd, I get a syntax error. I want to change to a normal.dot template, as I believe this may resolve the situation. The instructions in Win XP Media Center is ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot OldNormal.dot - it does not recognize this command. Note that this recent error ocurred when I copied / pasted information from a job board and put it into Word format - and now my global template has strange characters similar to an HTML or something like that. All of my formatting is gone and I cannot access a normal "clear" template in Word now. Can you assist - and if necessary, can I provide online access to my ISP address and pay for the fix? Thank you. Judy Note - I'm rather PC savvy but screwed up and am most frustrated in keeping track of all the jobs I apply for. (smile) I have hundreds of Word files, as I also work from home as a Consultant. I'm worried to say the least. Thanks again.
4/14/2011
bytestream
bytestream, Computer Systems Analyst

bytestream :

Hello there!

bytestream :

The first thing you need to do is create the template you want and save it as 1normal.dot (Word will not allow you to replace the template.)

bytestream :

Set the font, font size, margins. If you want, I can tell you what the standards are.

Customer:

Ok, so step by step would help - I'll go into the cmd now but would like to know how to reset - should I use the ren process? Thanks much. Judy

Customer:

Or do I go into Word?

bytestream :

I'm not Judy.

Customer:

I'm Judy

bytestream :

Open Word.

bytestream :

Oh, sorry, hello Judy!

Customer:

Ok. Sorry - new to this site. I'm Judy just making myself more personable.

bytestream :

When you open a new Word document, you get a format you don't want, right?

Customer:

Ok, so here we go - I'm fast usually but this is a bizarre incident with the entire Word template changing just because I probably copied/pasted too much info.

Customer:

Yes, I get a strange format with what looks like HTML or some formatting used on the Web.

bytestream :

It's not really the copy/paste that did it, but let's fix it.

Customer:

It's the "paragraph" icon that shows up and it also wreaks havoc on all my docs.

Customer:

Ok - have no idea that's why I'm with you!

bytestream :

OK. Do you know how to turn off the paragraph icon?

Customer:

So what's next? I do not use any custom settings

Customer:

No, tried delete, etc. Perhaps my unemployment for the past few months has me as a computer IDIOT now.

Customer:

Hang on - dog barking - must quiet him.

bytestream :

Hehe....aren't we all? Look across the tool bar for an icon that looks like a backwards P with a double vertical line. It'll appear as if it's a button pushed in.

bytestream :

I hope it wasn't the Boston strangler at the door ...

Customer:

Ok, am back - what's a paragraph icon - and note that any of my former documents have many odd symbols now - any type of formatting shows up. I've tried everything. Oh, and no - Boston Strangler? Nope. Neighbor - PIA that he is. laugh.

bytestream :

The backwards P

Customer:

OMIGOD I'm an idiot - hang on. Let me pull up some docs.

Customer:

OHHELLNO. That fixed it. Money well spent. You're awesome and I'm an idiot. I suppose I shouldn't work and drink martinis at the same time. You're great - hope to "meet" you again if I need some smart man to set me straight.

bytestream :

wait!

Customer:

How can I support you/provide feedback? No, I can't send money - as I said, unemployed and doing part time consulting. So no. laugh

Customer:

I'm waiting

bytestream :

You'll want to fix the normal template too

Customer:

Hey Bytestream - when I open a NEW DOCUMENT everything is fine. I just did a test page. Everything is fine. I'm an idiot and I don't believe I should mess with the normal template unless you think I am truly IDIOT.

bytestream :

Okay, Using File/Save As, save the document as a template, say, "Harry.dot" . You'll want to change the file type to template.

Customer:

I'll do it now - hang on. "Harry?" funny

bytestream :

My clients recognize each other when there's a Harry file somewhere ;-))

Customer:

All is ok. Anything else I should worry about? Gas prices? Wars? Oh, and now your clients will tap into my system and see all my dirty work? ;-))

Customer:

Thank you soooo much. I can eat dinner now without the stress.

bytestream :

Enough world problems for today. But you are not finished. Go into your file manager and delete normal.dot. Then rename Harry.dot to normal.dot

Customer:

I'm an HR Director/Manager - I'd hire you in an instant! smile - but that is when I get re-employed. Ok, I'll do what you say. Hang on.

bytestream :

I don't need more money -- just give me some positive feedback when you accept.

Customer:

Oh, if I had that problem - hang on.

bytestream :

And I'm sure you'll find a job soon - you're sharp, Judy.

Customer:

Done - so far so good. Thanks for compliment. Need an HR person to handle your workload? ha

bytestream :

Would love it. No chance you're in Rochester NY, is there?

Customer:

Darn - nope. Chicago gal just moved to Houston for work.

Customer:

Poo.

bytestream :

Now just open a blank Word document and see what you get.

Customer:

Ok, hang on.

Customer:

SCREAM. Good news. All is well.

Customer:

But - of course, I'll bother you again if need be.

bytestream :

If you open up old docs and they have that stuff, just unclick the paragraph button. That button allows you to see all settings such as hard returns, soft returns, tabs, spaces, etc.

Customer:

Hey, just a thought - if you're on LinkedIn, let's connect. I just always appreciate super sharp folks who keep me in line. If not, no worries. And I don't Tweet and I don't Facebook - too risky for us HR people - albeit I'm a cool HR lady and not some stuck up PIA. ha

Customer:

Let me go to the resume now. eegads

bytestream :

Just ask for me; glad to help. And I am on LinkedIn.

Customer:

Everythng's good - as I said, IDIOT.

bytestream :

Never - just unaware of these little details of software. Have a good dinner.

Customer:

Great - if you want to connect look up Judy Frushour. If not, ok. Good to have sharpsters in my book.

Customer:

Ok, will do - chicken on the grill.

Customer:

Good night and thanks again. BIG positive feedback on its way.

Customer:

So, yawn, I guess I'll wait the next page - bye bye.

bytestream :

Good night.

Customer:

Uhm, so how can I sing your praises now? I just went into kitchen to prep - came back waiting for another page for feedback, credit card auth and all. Just let me know - I'll be back soon. All the best. Great meeting you. Thanks so much.

bytestream :

Just click on the Accept button. I believe that when you do that, you'll be able to add feedback as well.

bytestream
bytestream, Computer Systems Analyst
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Help! I type my documents using a combination of Normal and
Help! I type my documents using a combination of Normal and Bold. Somehow I have managed to press something and the whole document is showing in Bold. I've tried turning the Bold key on and off but it… read more
Jess
Jess
Have problem with Microsoft Office 2003 and particular with
Have problem with Microsoft Office 2003 and particular with WORD. Very long time to get in to Word and when closing document "MICROSOFT WORD HAS STOPPED TO WORK INVESTIGATING THE PROBLEM" When problem… read more
authentech
authentech
my windows (Windows office 2010) has messed up while I was
my windows (Windows office 2010) has messed up while I was typing. First I had two pages in the window which I did not want, then the tool bar disappeared. If I try to get it back it does not stay. I … read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
Stop searching for answers—
My Word Processor is screwed up again. It wont keep its margins
My Word Processor is screwed up again. It wont keep its margins' I paid you $150.00 a few weeks ago, but only used it once. would you help me , without charging again? How long is this going to take? … read more
Jess
Jess
I have Desktop Computer HP p6240f with 64-bit OS. Microsot
I have Desktop Computer HP p6240f with 64-bit OS. Microsot Office 2003 is installed. When I open MS Word 3003, it takes about 3-45 seconds to open. When I try closing Word, I always get "Microsoft Wor… read more
IT Consultant,
I was messing with formatting the other day now every time
I was messing with formatting the other day now every time I start a document, title it (As in an essay) when I hit carraige return it goes to the middle of the page rather that the 1.5 spacing which … read more
Jess
Jess
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Somehow I set up open a blank document with a line of text
Somehow I set up open a blank document with a line of text that is automatically entered and I can't figure out how to open a new document without this text being added. Any thoughts?… read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
Hi, When I open MS Word2007 my font is HUGE. I cant figure
Hi, When I open MS Word2007 my font is HUGE. I can't figure out what happened or how to make it smaller. It has nothing to do with the "font" perse, the cursor looks about 60 point or larger. I closed… read more
Jess
Jess
why have i been upgraded You have not successfully solved
why have i been upgraded You have not successfully solved my problem WHen I open a wod doc i get this This message can appear if, in a document you previously had open, you made changes to items such … read more
It Support Specialist,
josh I did as you sugested but that has not worked this is
josh I did as you sugested but that has not worked this is what i entered 1.Exit all Office programs. 2.Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. 3.Type the following command, as appropriat… read more
It Support Specialist,
hey in the last few days everytime I open word it takes about
hey in the last few days everytime I open word it takes about 15-25 seconds to open same with closing. This problem started about 2 weeks ago. I am using XP… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Professional Tech Expert,
CompTIA A+ Certification
Microsoft Word 2003 will not appear on display, but appears
Microsoft Word 2003 will not appear on display, but appears on taskbar. When i click on it it will not dome up on the screen. How do I fix it?… read more
bineesh
bineesh
System Support Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi, How do I get the standard normal.dot template back in
Hi, How do I get the standard normal.dot template back in MS Word? I am formatting headings in a large document with approx 5 levels of headings, and see this: 1.1.1.1 - where all 4 numbers are greyed… read more
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian
I have a problem with Microsoft Word 2003 running on XP Home
I have a problem with Microsoft Word 2003 running on XP Home Edition V 5.1.2600 SP 3.0 SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 2200. I am attempting to center justify a heading for a letter. After highlighting the tex… read more
Renju
Renju
I have been using Microsoft 2000 for years with no problem.
I have been using Microsoft 2000 for years with no problem. I am also not computer savvy, so please excuse my wording. Here's what's happening: When I click the Word icon on my desktop, what I get is … read more
Julio
Julio
The COM+ catalog on my customers SBS 2008 server is corrupt.
The COM+ catalog on my customers SBS 2008 server is corrupt. Are there instructions for fixing a corrupt catalog in 2008 servers like the instructions available for 2003 servers? If so, please point m… read more
Smile
Smile
Today, the text that Ive been typing on my computer is coming
Today, the text that I've been typing on my computer is coming out in 'Tracking'format, i.e.,red and underscored with thin black vertical lines in the left margin. I know about the format because my p… read more
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben
Software Engineer,
How can I save Autotext in Word 2000 to a CD so that I can ...
How can I save Autotext in Word 2000 to a CD so that I can move it to a new computer? I have Windows XP Professional program which I am using for my home.… read more
John D
John D
Bachelor Degree in Engineering