My roku keeps stopping to load. It does this every couple of

Customer Question
minutes while streaming -- EXTREMELY...
My roku keeps stopping to load. It does this every couple of minutes while streaming -- EXTREMELY annoying. I have Comcast broadband modem and am using a Belkin wireless router. According to the roku, the signal strength is good. I tested the speed and download is nearly 10 mbps and upload is nearly 4 mbps -- ample, I believe. So what's the issue??
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
4/4/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Adam, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Adam
Adam, Computer Support Specialist

I would do a factory reset on the Roku box and do a fresh install of it on the network again. Make sure to select the wireless G option instead of the N option. If you just have a wireless G router go into the URL settings page and go into the QOS (quality of service) tab and give priority to the Roku box.

Thanks for your response. I probably should have given you more information, though. It isn't just a single roku that is acting up.

I have two rokus, one of which is only about 8 feet from the Belkin wireless router. That receives excellent signal strength, according to the roku. The other roku is upstairs and receives good signal strength.

I also stream Netflix througha Wii console in the basement. I'm unclear what that signal strength is, though. All of these are connected wirelessly to the Belkin router, which is a G-router.

At first the Wii streamed very nicely, which is why I elected to get the roku devices. Initally all of the streaming devices worked very well, but over the last week or so I have been having the problem I asked about.

It seems unlikely to me that a factory reset of a single roku would solve the issue, as all of the devices are acting up. I even tried streaming on the upstairs roku this morning, and the same problem occurred. I certainly could factory reset the two rokus, but I would rather not reset the Wii (my daughters have created a lot of Mii characters).

Would you recommend just replacing my Belkin G-router with an N-router? Would that do the trick? Or do I need to use hard ethernet cable connections to all the devices? The Wii consiole does not even have an ethernet port, so I would need an adaptor. I would also need a switch or hub (or upgrade to an 8-port router) to accommodate the additonal ethernet cables, so I would obviously prefer to keep things wireless... if possible.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Keep everything wireless and wait on buying a new router. The first thing to do would be to hold the reset button on the router and re-install it on the network. Next make sure all the routers firmware is up to date. Also make sure to not run all of the devices at once because the router will get overloaded and cause some streaming video to be choppy.

If resetting the router does not help, try to use the QOS options in the routers setting and set the devices that need netflix streaming to a higher priority.

If it comes down to getting a new router. I will link a good router I use in my house and recommended it to anyone!

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wireless-Gigabit-Router-WNDR3700/dp/B002HWRJY4

I have already unplugged and replugged my router (as well my modem and the roku devices). The problem remains unfortunately. Would unplugging/replugging serve the same purpose as resetting the router?

How do I get into the URL settings page for the router to access the QOS options? Is it just typing in the IP address in bar where you usually type in web addresses? I think I vaguely remember doing something like that years ago. My Belkin is about 5 years old now. Do I just go the Belkin website to have firm ware updated?

Thank you so much!

You need to hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15 seconds. Then there will be a ip address some where on the router to type in to internet explorer. It will also say the username by default is admin and password ***** ***** Re set up the router after the reset and in the setting up process through the URL setup screen you will see the option for QOS.
Adam
Adam, Computer Support Specialist
Adam
Adam
Adam, Computer Support Specialist