Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Windows 7 IE 9 I am not able to access Bing or Google (maybe

Windows 7 – IE 9
I am not able to access Bing or Google (maybe more)
I can access other sites
This appears to have started once I updated from IE 9 Beta to the released version (Not Sure)

Specifics:
Internet provider = TDS / DSL
Home network = Linksys
All Windows XP / IE 8 systems on the network work fine – no problems.
The Windows 7 laptop with the problem runs fine on a different network using Frontier as the ISP.

I have rebooted the modem and hooked directly to the modem and still have the issue.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

First off, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program > View installed updates (at the left), then look for and remove 'Windows Internet Explorer 9'. Done that, restart your computer in order to roll back to IE8, and let me know if this resolves your issue all right.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

B:

No - I want to use IE9 and it does work on a different network or IP provider. Why is it not working from this network access?

This is simply a test to determine if it's, infact, IE9 which is causing the issue with accessing the websites in question. Done that, we will move on with other alternative solutions. Keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

B:

FYI - I followed your directions and IE 8 gives me the same error. I can reach Yahoo but I can't reach Google or Bing.

Okay, and what's the security program installed?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
TrendMicro Titanium Internet Security. I have tried with both TrendMicro off and Windows firewall off and still could not rech the sites mentioned. I did connect to those same sites (google and bing) with this laptop (same settings) from a different newtork.
I see. Now, in IE, please go to Tools > Internet Options > Connection > LAN Settings; is there any option checked there?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Automatically detect settings
Okay, if you uncheck that option, does it make any difference to your issue?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No - I still can't connect
Okay. Now - as a test - please download an alternate web browser, Mozilla Firefox, using the following link:
www.getfirefox.com

Run and install the browser, then check if you can access the websites using the same.

Done that, let me know accordingly.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Firefox has the same results - just hangs waiting. I also noticed that Firefox uses Google search and attempting a Google search with Firefox just hangs as well.
This is strange indeed, especially since you are unable to connect just fine using any other network on the same computer.

Before troubleshooting any further, please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then follow the on-screen directions to restore the system back to a date and time back to before you started having this issue.

Restart thereafter, and let me know if this resolves your issue all right.

If the system restore doesn't complete successfully for some reason, just let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried this last week and it did not help. After that I changed locations so I could access the Internet through a different network and different ISP. That worked for me so I'm not sure what I will accomplish by dropping back again. This laptop has worked with the current windows / IE 9 install.
I see. Now, what I'll do, is opt out for the time being, and let the other experts come up with any other possible solutions as well. Thank you.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will I get automatic responses or do I have to start over?
You will receive an email notification when another expert picks this up. Alternatively, just add this page to your Favorites for now, and you may check back on it later on.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Other.
B Rath opted out and sent the below statement. So far no one has contacted me - HOW DO I GET MY MONEY BACK!!!!!

From B.RathMonday, March 28, 2011 12:52 PM EST

Regards
Odd problem indeed by the way.

Based on your description I'd say its the MTU setting.

Go to start, in the searchbox type cmd , wait for it to appear above. Right click it, click run as administrator.

In the command prompt, type out this command fully, word wrap is making it appear that its two lines, but its only one straight line.

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1492 store=persistent

and hit enter. Try google.

If it doesn't work, try this one:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1400 store=persistent

To revert back to default, do this:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1500 store=persistent

The changes should be instant.

Let me know the results. If you do not wish to continue, also let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Justin - thanks for the response. I tried both but still no help. Both Google and Bing are waiting for response.

A little more information. I went to a public site today and was able to log into both Google and Bing. When I dropped the connection and attempted to get in again I was not able to connect. ?????

Very strange.

Can you try this test.

Restart your computer in safe mode with networking. To do this, restart. After the initial splash screen, start tapping the F8 key. This needs to be done before you see anything about Windows loading.

When done successfully you'll see Advanced startup options. Select safe mode with networking. See if you can browse to google from there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Same problem in Safe Mode with Networking....
Ok go back to the Run As Administrator command prompt.

Do the following steps, in order:

ipconfig /flushdns

hit enter

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Hit enter

netsh winsock reset

Hit enter

Restart, try the sites again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Same problem after the commands and a re-start....

Go to this file and open it in notepad.

Copy paste me what's listed there.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Right click it, click open with notepad.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no hosts folder. The folders listed are:

Imhosts.sam

networks

protocol

services

tmvsthfss.bin

tmvsthfud.bin

I assume the two files starting with tm are leftovers from Tren Micro wich was removed trouble shooting this problem.

Its not a folder, its a file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

File is Hosts

Located in the etc directory. If you don't see it, it could be a hidden file.

To view hidden files, click organize in the top left, folder and search options, view tab. Check the box that says show hidden files and folders.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Show all folders is selected but still no Hosts folder or file
Let's get a remote going. Doesn't cost anything extra. I think i need to be hands on with this as it can't be as unique as I'm lead to believe. And trust me, your symptoms are pretty unique.

Let me know if you're interested in this and I will post instructions on how to connect for remote desktop.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK

Alrighty. Click this link below. Click Run Remote Desktop. Click allow/run to any warnings you get and give me about 5 minutes to connect. If it doesn't connect after 5 just reply to me here.

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=d953b47f-708f-4ff7-8b34-49ec56b17add&SUPPORT=NET

Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration