Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I am trying to recover a Gateway GT5056 no recovery disks.

Customer Question

I am trying to recover a Gateway GT5056 no recovery disks. Can I do this from the hard drive? When I hit F11 and get into the gateway recovery program it asks me for System Restore CD/DVD #1 shouldn't I be able to restore directly from the restore partion without disks?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

You need to perform system recovery. It can be performed in two ways as explained below.

1. Using built in recovery partition.

1. Remove all CDs or DVDs from the optical drives.
2. Turn off the computer using the normal Windows shut down process.
3. After the computer is turned off, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.
4. Turn on the computer. To start recovery, at the Press F11 to start recovery prompt, press the F11 key.
5. In the Systems Restore Options dialog box, select Full System Restore (Destructive), and then click Next.
6. In the System Restore - Format and Recover dialog box, click Yes.
7. Files copy.
8. In the System Restore dialog box, click Restart.
9. The computer restarts.
10. Drivers and applications are installed.

2. If above does not work OR if F11 doesnt initiate the process then you need to perform recovery using Gateway recovery disc. If you dont have the disc you need to order one from Gateway.

Please click on link below to order Recovery Disc from Gateway.

http://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=gateway

(if you are not located in US please let me know)

Put the Recovery Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Restart computer and on startup screen it will mention a Key to enter setup. Press that key immediately to enter setup. Then you will find many tabs. Goto BOOT tab. Change the boot order to make the CD Drive as 1st device in Boot order list and do Save and Exit. Then restart computer making sure disc is already in CD Drive. This will load computer from recovery disc.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
"2. If above does not work OR if F11 doesnt initiate the process then you need to perform recovery using Gateway recovery disc. If you dont have the disc you need to order one from Gateway. "

F11, initiates the process so does that mean it works or it doesn't? I would say it works but not completely as it prompts me for a CD and I do not get this option...

"5. In the Systems Restore Options dialog box, select Full System Restore (Destructive), and then click Next."

of course I know I can "order" the recovery disc but I am looking to avoid the 2 week wait.

So if I don't have recovery disks can I do this from the hard drive your is your answer a maybe?
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

If it prompts for the CD, that signifies that the recovery partition on the hard drive is corrupt. And hence you need a recovery disc.

No, if you don't have the recovery disc, you cannot do this as your recovery partition is corrupt.

Hence the only option you have is to either order recovery disc. Or you may buy a Windows XP installation disc on Ebay.com and reinstall XP using it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So it's $20 for and answer of order a disc or the hard drive is corrupt even though I have zero evidence of this? The program runs fine I am just missing the dialogue box with the system restore options, maybe if you sent me this link it might have warranted $20

http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-1947814836.shtml

I can't buy the corrupt answer when the program runs fine, chkdsk found zero problems and it's a recovery partition that has never been accessed it's windows that as usual has the problem. If my question is out of the price league then maybe it's best you just "hang up" and I'll move on.
Expert:  Andy replied 6 years ago.

You asked a Question and I answered it correctly and honestly.

You have made a $18 deposit for this question and if you want to honor your commitment and pay me for my time you need to click ACCEPT.

All the best