Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I hope you could help. I have a ThinkPad lenovo that I used

Customer Question

I hope you could help.

I have a ThinkPad lenovo that I used whlist I was employed in the company. When I left we agreed and I took tke the laptop with me. I have been using without any problems but last week I used a "duplicate removal" software and in doing so I fear that I have removed some of the boot initialisation files and I can not use the laptop.
The operation system I was using was Windows XP. So I decided to reinstall with the recovery disk, unfortunately I can not even use the recovery disk.
In my despair I tried to restart with DOS 6.22, this is posible but I have difficulties in using drive A. I can use drive B (?) which is a FDD.
So I tried to edit the Config.sys file to include the operation of the optical drive using "Drivparm=/D:3 /F:8" but i have not been successful with it.
I went to look at the BIOS and found that there is not starting facilities from CD because it has been set to start from FDD, HDD, and Network.
What should I do. I can not find a software that will allow me to midfy the BIOS in a way that I was able to start from CD. Can you help?

The details of my machine are:
Processor type: 80486 AT Machine (A20 Active)
Math Coprocessor: 80486 FPU
Base Memory: 638K Availabe: 528K
Extended Memory: -1024K Available OK
EXPANDED Memory: No EMS driver installed
Video Adaptor: VGA EGA Switches: 0110
Video Address: A000h Video RAM size:256/512K
Hard Drives (s): Drive 0 (C:) = - 669M, Drive 1 (Non-Dos) = 528M
Floppy Drives (s): A:1.44M (3-1/2")
Clock/Calendar: CMOS
Parallel Ports (s): None
Serial Ports (s): COM2=2F8h
Mouse: None
Joystick: None

Is there a way I can change the BIOS to boot up from a CD. My recovery Windos XP disk.

Thank you so much.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

Make sure that the cd is listed in the bios at all.

What it sounds like is that the bios does not see the cd at all. There should be an option to start from the cd in the list of boot order that you are looking at if it is listed as a device at all.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
AS I mentioned the first time, I can not see any option for CD, there is only for FDD, HDD and Network. It appears that the IT technitian has remove the CD start up option and for the live of me I just can not do anything that will change that situation.
Perhaps if you could tell me how i do get into the BIOS, because I have tried and I can not do it.
When i restart my laptop from DOS with CTRL, ALT, DEL, the first thing that appears is the logo Lenovo ThinkPad, I have tried interrupting booting up in two way;

One way is by pressing F12 and the screen shows:

_____________________________________________________
Boot Menu

1: USB FDD: TEAC FD-05PUB-(USB)
2: ATAPI CD0:HL-DT-ST- DVDRAM GSA-4
4: ATA HDD0: ST980811AS-(S1)
5: PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 0200 v123
6: -USB HDD
Lexar JD FireFly - (USB)

<Enter Setup >
______________________________________________________

As you might see, it does not provide for factor 8, which will give optic red/write meaning CD.

So no matter what I do I can not start from CD.

The Other way is by pressing F1 and put me on BIOS SET UTILITY and the screen shows:

> Config
> Date/Time
> Security
> Startup
> Restart
> HDD diagnostic program

BIOS Version 1.08 (7IET27WW)
BIOS date (year-Month-day) 2007-04-30
Embedded Controller Version 1.07
System-unit Serial Number 636962ML3AM115
Syste board serial number UF0U476J0ZX
CPU type Intel (R) Core (TM) CPU T5500
CPU speed 1.66GHz
Installed memory 1024MB
UUID d4206181-4959-11cb-9ce7-d4b852d507d5
MAC Address (Internal Lan) 00 15 58 C5 F0 97

When I go to submenu Start UP, it shows:

> Boot
> Network

Boot Mode [Quick]
Option Keys displayed [Enabled]

Boot device List F12 Option [Enter]
-Current setting [enabled]

When I go to submenu Boot it shows:

Boot priority order

1: USB FDD: TEAC FD-05PUB-(USB)
2: ATAPI CD0: HL-DT-ST- DVDRAM GSA-4083-(PM)
3: ATA HDD0: ST980811AS-(S1)
4: PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 0200 v1231
5: ATA HDD1:
6: USB CD:
7: +USB HDD
8:
Excluded from boot order:
: ATA HDD2:
: ATAPI CD1

After studying thehe menus I believe that the IT technitian has blocked the possibolity of booting from CD.

I hope you now understand my problem and the extent of my predicament.

Thanks.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

No it appears that you can boot off the ATAPI dvdram drive

move it up in the boot list

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. But it did not work.

I have move the DVDRAM to be the first device and did not work. By the way I have tried this before.
So I remain with the problem. I think the only solution will be to flash the CMOS and I do not know how to do it and where to get the information.

Can you enlighten me.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

i dont think that is a good idea.

It seems more like it is not actually seeing the cd drive. assuming that is different from the dvd. Is it removable ?

There may be a scan in the setup to find the devices. But you notice how it had all the information on what brand and model the dvd player was and nothing for the cd. It is not actually seeing it. Thats why it wont accept it as a boot device.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So what do I do?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

Are they seperate drives? Try to figure out why it is seeing 1 and not the other. Is it removable ? take it out and put it back.

See if there is anything that you can change in the bios where it lists the drives. There may be a property setting there for whether it is bootable or not. Or you might be able to delete it and add it back

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is only one physical drive slot. It is not remobable.

There is nothing I could change in the bios, there is no settings that I could change. I do not know how I could delete it and the add it back?

I think that you will not be able to help me.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not know what else I could say, I have given all information at hand.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

If is is the same drive than making it bootable should work. Unless it does not actually read cd's but only dvd's ?

Is this the drive that came with the computer ? and you can boot off the floppy into dos. It might be possible to find a dos driver for the cd player that will allow it to be read and you might be able to load xp from it that way.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

ok i think i found something.

in the setup bios where the drives are.

try changing the drive type for the cd driver from sata to AHCI or ide compatible

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I do That?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

Go into the setup

under the list of devices that you have been looking at

you should be able to change them

I dont have one of those computers in front of me.

but there is usually a way to change the device type and settings manually.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can not do it. I think I should thank you for your efforts but I can not continue trying.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

Up to you. I am probably going backwards here but if you hit F12 when you start to boot or change the dvd drive to first on the list of boot devices does it boot from a system disk you put in the drive ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done that before, it did not work. As I said the IT technitian must to have done something that is out of the norm. She does not work any longer with me. Thanks again. Sorry for the inconvinience and I hope we could do better next time, if there was one.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.

Ok sorry I couldnt do better for you. If there is some sort of physical problem there is very little that I can do from here.

If i was of assistance or you feel i gave my best efforts in a professional manner I would apreciate if you clicked on accept. it will not charge you any additional money but i do not get paid out of your deposit if you do not accept. That is your choice of course

If you do not accept the money remains on account for you here for use with this or another question. Or you can arrange for a refund by emailing [email protected]

thanks and have a great day