Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Bachelor in Technology, 7+ years of experience
33602187

errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

sandy :

Hello My Friend, Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today.

sandy :

Please click start, in the search box, type cmd , you will see cmd in black color at the top. Right click on that cmd and click Run as an Administrator. Now, click continue. On the black screen type sfc /scannow

sandy :

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

sandy :

If you have any other query, please let met know.
Confirm this expert's assistance by pressing the ACCEPT button.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when I click start i don't get the command you state?
  • Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

• Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

• Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    wjem I did as you stated i got this

Run' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable programor batchfile.
    Please follow the steps given below:

sfc /scannow

• Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    b4 I continue I got a Windows File Protection teling me to Insert your Windows XP Home Edition DC-Rom now, which I do have?
    You had type Windows 7 as your opeating system? Do you have Windows xP?
    If you have Windows XP, let me tell you it is not an error message. Disk check will be running at the start of the computer when you turn it off and restart it.

Please follow the steps given below:
    1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
    2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
    4. Use one of the following procedures:
      • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
      • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
      • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
      Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
      The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
      Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
    Note: Fixing computer is a lengthy process. If not fixed, please ask me again and I will provide you new steps immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I'm sorry I've got 3 pc'c and a laptop at home and I said windows 7, when in fact the one i;m having problems with is XP
    Please check I have provided you the steps for windows XP.

Thank you.