Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

My computer shows this error. How can i fix it There was

Customer Question

My computer shows this error. How can i fix it?
There was a problem starting C:\Windows\Syswow64\CMICNFG3.dll The module was not found.
I've tried to find the dll file but have been unsuccessful. What is it and what do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Do you get this error message at startup? Also, when did you start having this issue?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
At startup--about three weeks ago we started getting this. We cannot remember installing any new software or hardware.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I see. This has to do with your C-Media audio device. Please go to Start, type in msconfig and press ENTER. In the System Configuration window, click on the Startup. Do you see any reference to C-Media and/or CMICNFG3 listed there?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
As a test, please click 'Disable All', then click Apply and restart your computer. Does this take care of the error message?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It worked! Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Great! You may just go back and re-enable the items you want to run at startup, i.e. security program, messenger, etc. Rest assured, none of them are system files, and hence, will not affect the normal functioning of your system in any way. Thank you.

Regards