I set up my sbcglobal.net email account on my iPhone and iPad,

Customer Question
but it only downloads the...
I set up my sbcglobal.net email account on my iPhone and iPad, but it only downloads the latest one or two emails but not any of the history. Also after I open an email and close it, and then come back to my emails, the one I looked at is gone. I have my office email set up on both the iPhone and iPad and it gives me all the emails that I have in my in box just like they appear on my computer. How can I get the sbcglobal.net email to do the same thing on the iPhone and iPad?
thanks,
Mack
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
3/2/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Before we configure the account. I need to clarify..

When you see the sbc email on the ipad..

And then go directly and login to the root email account itself.. it has deleted the emails that the ipad or iphone pulled up?

No,

If I click and open and email, it is there and I can read it, but if I close out email and come back and open the email account again, then the email is not there. An example is, currently for today I have approximately 30 emails that came in to my account on my computer today, when I access either the iPhone or iPad email accounts it shows the only 4 emails, the three I just recieved from Just Answer and one other one. If I log in again to this account in about 30 minutes to an hour, then it will usually show that I have 1 or 2 new emails, and the other 4 will not be there.

Ok.. on each of your iphones and ipads, we need to delete your sbc yahoo email account and then re add it.. its set up incorrectly..

So, delete the email accounts and then.. re add them this way

For your first email account, follow these steps:

1. Choose Mail.
  2. Choose Y! Mail (top of the list).
  3. Provide your name or your account name in Name.
  4. Provide your Yahoo! Mail address—for example,[email protected]—in Address. Please make sure to include the @ and the address's domain name, such as @yahoo.com, after the ID.
  5. Provide the password XXXXX your Yahoo! Mail address.
  6. Provide a description of the account.
  7. Confirm the settings.
Then.. go into the account settings.

make sure that push is disabled.. and if you see leave a copy, make sure its checked..

then, test the mail again with just one device hooked up and let me know what happens.. thanks

It still is giving me the same problem, the only email there now is the one you just sent me. I deleted the email and then went through the steps again as follows:

1. selected mail.

2. selected Yahoo!

3. Mack Anderson

4. [email protected]

5. provided my password

6. the description self-populated with [email protected]

7. the settings were confirmed

I then went to settings and turned the push off and then checked the email account and as I said, there was only the last email that you sent in there.

Ok..

It may take a few minutes for it to check, and download the mail.. But it should have done so already..

try this.

• Tap Settings on your iPhone's Home screen.
  • Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  • Tap Show __ Recent Messages under Mail.
  • Make sure 25 Recent Messages is selected.
Now, it should show the 25 most recent messages..

allow it a minute or two to try and download the mail. and let me know if its working any better.

still the same result. I have your last email and one more that came in at the same time and nothing else. I followed the same steps you gave me orginally when I first set up the email account on my iPhone last week. I have even turned the phone off and restarted it and it still does the same thing. The iPad does this also.

Hmm.. did you see the section for show 25 messages ?

Yes, and it is checked and shows up in the window next to the word Show.

In the Outgoing Mail Server in the SMTP window it has Yahoo! SMTP Server. When you click on the arrow the next screen shows for the PrimaryServer Yahoo! SMTP Server and it is On. Under other SMTP Servers it has AT&T SMTP and it is Off.

Your yahoo account.. is it through sbc , at&t ..or just regular yahoo?
I set it up when I first got DSL from AT&T, but the instructions were to set it up as sbcglobal instead of at&t so I don't really know. Should I turn on the AT&T server also?
Lets try that..

turn off yahoo.. turn on at&t

It will not let me turn it off or delete the Yahoo! Server as the Primary Server
Hmm.. ok..

Lets try this.. Lets try a workaround method. ( i never have liked yahoos pop servers or push features)

Do you have gmail?

No, I have never set anything up on gmail

Hmm.. We could try this.. ( it has worked well for me before)

we can create a free gmail account

Then in about two steps, we can have the gmail account collect your yahoo mail.

then, use the gmail accounts ( not the yahoo accounts with the iphone)

All the yahoo mail will collect in gmail, and then be viewable on the iphone ipad..

is this something youd be willing to try?
yes,let's try it
Ok, go to gmail.com create a free gmail account.

once your logged in and looking at the inbox..

delete your yahoo account from the ipod, iphone

let me know when your at that point!
Okay, I've got the account on the iPhone and haved deleted the SBCglobal account
Ok..

You have the gmail acount on the iphone.. excellent..

Now, i will need you to use computer..

log into your new gmail account.. when looking at the inbox, on the upper right click

the gear icon, then click mail settings.

then click on the tab for accounts and imports

then click on the grey tab for import mail and contacts..

now add your yahoo account,, go through the short wizard.. ( it may ask you to activate it by logging into your yahoo account)

once finished, let me know. if you get stuck.. let me know!
it is asking for my POP server the one that loaded automatically was pop.sbcglobal.net and it said this is wrong where do i find my pop server?
your email address.. the yahoo one..

what does it end with.. ( the part to the right of the @ sign ? )
sbcglobal.net
There could be a few that work. try this one

pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
when i put that in it says now that it can not validate my email address and password XXXXX the sbcglobal account.
Ok. did you make sure to put in the correct and full sbc email address, and password XXXXX the sbc account?
yes, in the first step of step one, it verified both and then said the pop server was wrong
ok, but now its saying the email address and password XXXXX wrong?
yes, I just deleted the request and started over and it verified the email and password XXXXX now is saying the pop server is wrong
are we using the first pop server this time.. or the second?

Try both pop servers.. if neither work, let me know.
neither one works
Apologies for the delay.. Didnt see your reply.

try this

pop.att.yahoo.com

does it also ask you for a port and have a ssl box?

Let me know what those are currently set to as well.. thanks!
i put the pop.att.yahoo.com and it still says that gmail could not identify the pop server.

the port number it shows is 110 and when you click on edit right next to the port number, you can change the port number and their is a ssl box that you can check, but it is not checked.
Please check the ssl box..

It needs to be checked. and we may need to try all three servers again..

( i assumed the box was checked automatically, apologies for that)
I just tried them all and nothing worked, still getting the same error message.
I really do not like Sbc and At&t.. Nor yahoo..

Question.. Maybe.. We can do this in reverse.

Use the link below.

http://help.yahoo.com/tutorials/cg/mail/cg_access5.html

And set your yahoo mail to forward to gmail.. ( and also, if gmail is having issues picking up yahoo mail, its no wonder you have been having issues suddenly with your ipad, ipod)

Once your mail is forwarded to gmail.. Then when the ipod checks your gmail, it will actually be checking you yahoo mail.. Make sense?
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Ok, I am connected to gmail and have successfully gotten it to import from my yahoo account. I had to change the port to 995 and it worked with the pop.att.sbcglobal.com.
thanks for your help
Your welcome.. Thanks for hangin in there with me.. And thank you for the bonus as well..

If you need anything else.. let me know!
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist