Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

i set my bios password on lenovo ideapad z565 and forgot it.

Customer Question

i set my bios password XXXXX lenovo ideapad z565 and forgot it. I wants the harddisk password XXXXX I don't know what it is.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

Is this BIOS and/or hard disk password?

Viet - Computer Tech :

For BIOS password, you have to open up the laptop, then remove the tiny CMOS battery located on the systemboard inside the laptop. Then it may be able to remove the BIOS password.

Viet - Computer Tech :

As for hard disk password, you cannot remove it. You have to replace with another hard drive, or take out the old and put it in an external USB hard drive enclosure/adapter (about $20 from your local computer store). Then install the hard drive in it, and plug it in a working computer and delete partition/volume and recreate it.

Customer:

Well on this laptop it has a supervisor, user and hardisk password. I set the first two and may have set the hardisk password XXXXX mistake I don't know what it is. It is asking for the hard disk password.

Customer:

I opened up the back of the computer and I don't know where the cmos is to clear the password.

Customer:

where is the cmos battery or clearing pins on the motherboard?

Viet - Computer Tech :

There are no pins.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have to remove the keyboard/touchpad also.

Customer:

I took out the hard drive and was able to go into the setup and the supervisor and user passowrd are not set. I tried loading the defaults and saving and then putting in the hard disk and try again but it wants hard disk password. So does this mean I have to put a new hard disk in to get around this problem?

Customer:

I didn't set the hard drive password XXXXX I don't know what it is? Is there no master override password?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, replace hard drive, or take out the old and put it in an external USB hard drive enclosure/adapter (about $20 from your local computer store). Then install the hard drive in it, and plug it in a working computer and delete partition/volume and recreate it.

Viet - Computer Tech :

There is no overriding the hard disk password, as it's for protection of data.

Customer:

is the password XXXXX on the harddisk?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes

Customer:

allright thanks for your help.