Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 8+ years experience as IT Support
15320265

My hotmail address wasXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I wish to

My hotmail address wasXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I wish to discontinue my account with you. How can that be done? Neil Reichelt. My current email account isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting with your question.

Do you currently have access to your hotmail account?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I assume that I have a hotmail account. A number of friends have received " messages " from my hot mail address which I am not using anymore. One way to overcome my problem is to make sure that my old hot mail account is discontinued. Neil Reichelt

Thanks for the clarification.

To close your hotmail account, please visit the link below:

http://mail.live.com/mail/CloseAccountConfirmation.aspx

Sign in with your hotmail address and click 'Close Account'.

However, sometimes the issue that you are facing could also be caused by spammers using your email address to send random emails . They disguise the emails to make it seem that it originated from you but this is not the case and the emails actually originate from their systems/servers and is known as spoofing. So, closing the actual email account might not help (although you can close it and let all your contacts know that you are no longer using it and to ignore any emails which seems to originate from there and mark it as spam). The spammers usually stop using your email id after sometime.

Hope this helps.

Regards.