Suddenly all my pictures are encrypted. I can view them in

Customer Question
Suddenly all my pictures are...
Suddenly all my pictures are encrypted. I can view them in Windows Live Photo gallery but when I click on them to enlarge the picture they come up encrypted. I did delete some pictures yesterday but nothing that I can recall that would have caused this problem. I am desperate to find the solution
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
1/22/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Brad, Computer Technician replied 6 years ago
Brad
Brad, Computer Technician

CLick on start and all programs and accessories and system tools and restore. You can then set it to an earlier date and time when it worked, The files are not encrypted, the program that reads them has lost its association with that file type. Here is a tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
I have tried the System Restore twice and it didn't work. This is way beyond my expertise and I am going to have someone come to my office.
What is the name of the files AFTER the dot? Like jpg, jif etc?

Edited by Brad on 1/22/2011 at 9:52 PM EST
jpeg.. the pictures in folders in my pictures can be viewed but if I try to click on a specific picture so as to print it then it is encrypted. The pictures not in folders cannot even be viewed in my pictures. However, the pictures in Windows Live Photo Gallery can all be viewed and printed but if I try to email a picture it comes out encrypted
If you right click on the picture a menu shows up and it will say OPEN WITH Click on that and a list of programs comes up. Tell me what is listed as recommended and what else is listed

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

windows Live Photo Gallery

Paint

Microsoft Word

Internet Explorer

------------------------

Choose Program

Go back to windows live and download and reinstall the photo gallery LEt me know
how do I do that? This won't endanger any of my picutres will it? I know that sounds like a silly question since I can't get them but I am still able to print them out on the HP Office Jet all in one

IT wont bother the ones that you have. Just go to live at this :

www.explore.live.come/ and download the photo program and install it.

Also make sure that you have java installed at www.java.com

My system tells me "
What?
my system tells me I cannot access "windows live"
I am not understanding the answers you are sending me since I cannot access the suggested program

IS there an error code or anything else other than it cannot access windows live

Do you have good malware and virus scanners

I am in this deeper than I understand. I just found the windows live update but don't understand the agreement they want me to agree to and the "charges" they say I will be subject to. I have Norton Antivirus and McAfee Security Plan Plus.
Windows live is free, they are saying on the site that you may be subject to ISP fees from some companies. If you use hotmail or such, there is no fee. What about java site?
I installed windows live and the pictures are still encrypted. What about Java site? What do you mean?
Click on start and my computer and drive c and you get an explorer type window. I need you to click on tools at the top of the window and then folder options and the tab that says file type. Scroll down the list till you get to jpg jpe and jpeg. Click on the one that is representative of your pictures and then tell me what it says for details for that file type down below.

It says the following: Opens with windows Picture and Fax V (then a box to change)

below that: Opens with extension JPEG Image. To change settings that affect all JPEG Images file click Advanced.

when I clicked on Advanced choices.

JPEG Image

Actions:

open (highlighted

printto

Take one of the pictures that you want to use and right click on it and then select open with and select windows live and then put a check in the box that says always use this program. Tell me what that does to copy pictures.
Not quite sure where I have been with this last step but whatever it finally was it corrected the problem. Thanks for all the help
Brad
Brad
Brad, Computer Technician