DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience:  MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.
18430140

In Windows 7 Desktop Icons there is a white check box in the

In Windows 7 Desktop Icons there is a white check box in the upper left corner. How do I get rid of this useless app?
Bob Jackson XXXXXXXXX comcast.net

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you know this program name?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you send me the image of your desktop (by pressing the print screen key on your keyboard, then paste to Start->All Programs->Accessories-Paint).

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you right-click on the white check box, and click on exit/close?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Let's try this: click on Start, then type msconfig and press Enter. Then click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the boxes except your antivirus security software. Then click OK, and restart the computer.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good day.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

I believe what you have going on is a new feature of Win7 that allows items to use a checkbox for 'selection' of items rather then the original "Shift" and "Ctrl" methods.

To remove such, lets do this:

Click on the Start Orb and then open Control panel.

Now find and open the area: "Appearance and Personalization"

Now find and open the link for "Folder Options"

Now in that window that opened. Lets click the tab, "View". The page will change.

In that list of items with checkboxes, lets find "Use check boxes to select items", and UNCHECK that box.

Now lets click the "Apply" and the "Ok" buttons and this should close that window and the changes should be in effect immediately. If not by chance, then reboot and check again.

Now if this does not fix the issue, or I am "off base" then do not hesitate to get back to me for more help.

Take care and God bless.

DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience: MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.