Transfer Outlook Email Back to AOL email

Customer Question
Good morning. I mistakenly transferred...
Good morning. I mistakenly transferred email from my aol email account to an Outlook account.

I thought doing that would enable my computer to accept and send Microsoft Mail which seems to be so common these days.

Needless to say I didn't do it correctly and it's not working as it should. I can receive mail but not send it.

To make a long story short, here's what I'd like to do: 1. reverse the process so i can go back to sending and receiving everything at my aol email address and/or 2. set up microsoft mail correctly, if possible. 3. but the most important thing of all right now is to return my aol email back to its original condition if i had to prioritize things. thanks so much! K.Jones
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
1/18/2011
Tech Support Specialist: Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager replied 7 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Hello. I can assist you with your question. What happend when you went back to aol? Sorry, I think that part was cut off.

I went back to the aol email account and all new mail and stored old mail was gone.

I went back to Outlook and everything seemed to be there.

When i tried sending something or even printing something the following message popped up on Outlook:

"Error Occurred while attemption to open windows address book WAB.DLL"

Still trying to figure out what I could do, I later went back to aol email settings and there seems to be a way to transfer e-mail from other platforms to aol e-mail--should i try that?

only thing is i have to download something from aol which might allow me to transfer outlook email--what a mess!!!

Once your email is downloaded to your desktop client, it's "off the grid" and private to you. So currently, you have the only copy of your email, so be careful. It also means that other services won't do the trick because they cannot access your personal data on your computer. It doesn't mean we can't get it back on AOL.

You said you entered POP and IMAP information for AOL. Can you verify this? It should be one or the other. It sounds like POP if it downloaded all the messages and then deleted them, but if you could check, that would be great.

If you want to continue to use Windows Live Mail, we can set it up for outbound mail for AOL, which won't be a problem. But it sounds like you would rather go through the web to get your AOL mail like you used to? If that's the case, initially, it's just a matter of closing Windows Live Mail so it won't continue to retrieve the email and delete it from the server. DO NOT delete your AOL account in Windows Live Mail, however. That is where all your email is right now.

Mr. Hannigan:

Thanks for your explanation. 1) I went back to Outlook Mail to retrace my steps 2) i clicked on "Tools" 3) Internet Accounts 4) Clicked on an icon labeled, "Imap.aol.com" where a box told me the following:

Incoming Mail (POP3) imap.aol.com

Outgoing Mail(SMTP) smtp.aol.com

5) I clicked on the "Server" tab after that, which said: Server Port 25.

Incoming mail 110

Don't know what all that means, but I hope it helps figure out how to dump all the mail i accidentally transferred to Outlook

Back to my original AOL email account and back to normal so I can send and print messages. Thanks, again.

Thank you for the additional information. What has occurred makes perfect sense to me after doing a little digging. AOL's IMAP server and POP server are actually the same. So whether you put pop.aol.com or imap.aol.com doesn't matter. What matters is the type of server you have chosen (POP3). Usually, putting an IMAP server in a POP3 configuration wouldn't work because they are two different servers, but not so with AOL.

It doesn't matter if you don't follow all that... I'm just thinking out loud sort of.

Now, you want to save any email that you have downloaded, not just delete them, correct? I mean, you ideally would like to put all those emails back where they were so you can have them saved in your AOL email again. Tell me if that's accurate.

And finally, how many emails are we talking about? Very approximate ballparkish number is XXXXX Looking more for an order of magnitude. Do you think you have 1000 emails in there, 10,000, 100,000, etc. As rediculous as this sounds, I have over 100,000 emails in my gmail account. It's the electronic version of the show Horders... once it gets to a certain point, you just don't clean it up. Undecided

Mr. Hannigan:

Yes, i want to undo what I did--transfer all my email information from Microsoft Outlook back to AOL email and get it up and running as if nothing ever happened.

I want to save the e-mails. if that's not possible, that's okay. I just want to get AOL e-mail back to receiving and sending as I've always done and forget about Microsoft Outlook email completely.

To answer your other question, I have about 2020 email messages on the aol email address I'm referring to. I'd also like to mention, I have three other aol email addresses i don't use as frequently as the one I'm having a problem with. All those email addresses are operating normally.

There are two choices. The first one is extremely easy.

Remove your AOL account from Windows Live Mail. All new email will continue to go where it used to, like nothing happened, except your old email won't be there. This will take less than 5 minutes.

If you want to put your email back in your aol account, then you can change your POP server to an IMAP server just by changing that dropdown to IMAP the port will change, so leave it at the port it changes to.

This should create "IMAP" folders for you related to the AOL email account. Most likely they will be empty as they will represent your folders on the AOL server. Once you have this, you can just copy all your emails (CTRL+A) to select all over to the IMAP folder. Then check the email server. Like magic, everything should be back. You may have to originize it or move folders, but it should be there. Once you confirm that, you can then remove you aol account from Windows Live Mail as you would have done in the first suggestion.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXXnigan on 1/19/2011 at 1:30 AM EST
Relist: Answer quality.
For non-professional computer users, experts should provide answers in steps. For example, 1) Go to Windows Live Mail; 2) Remove your e-mail account by selecting from the drop down menu; 3) change POP to IMAP, etc.

Otherwise the advice is useless and people would have no reason to use this service.

Are you serious? I'm trying to help you... and after all the time I've spent going over the details to carefully understand the mistakes you made so I wouldn't risk your email. This is what you have to say? Not even ask me for clarification, but relist because of poor answer quality, call the information useless, say there is no reason to use the site? Prior to this, I was under the impression that you knew how to communicate. I was also under the impression that you wanted to correct the problem, not give me a hands on exam.

In the first alternative, there was ONE step. If you know how to add an account as you did, then one would assume you know how to remove it. You did not understand this one step? Wait... you did because you put the steps in your response. Do you think this is some kind of joke? What is wrong with you? Hey - you screwed up your email - don't take that out on me. I'm trying to help you fix it. I've spent a lot of time trying to understand the specifics of your situation for your sake.

I really don't understand your problem with my suggestion if you already know how to do it? I take this very seriously and thought that since your email is important, you did too. Is this even the same person? We have done all the dilligence and are in the final stretch of implementing a solution, and you turn into a total... ? Come on, have some respect. I've given it to you.

If you have some questions, it would be in the best interest of both of us if you keep the isults to yourself and indicate areas for which you require clarification.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXXnigan on 1/19/2011 at 7:32 AM EST
Well?
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan