Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST
16299369

how do you reformat a e-machine ET1810-03 without a reformat

how do you reformat a e-machine ET1810-03 without a reformat disk?

Hello, this is how you put it back to Factory Settings....

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F11 for the Factory Recovery

3) Follow Instuctions On Screen

NOTE: Some models has this option while others do not. You may still be asked for the disk which should have came with your system or you would have created.

OR

Desktop Factory Restore

1) Click Start
2) Click All Programs
3) Click Emachines
4) Click Emachines Recovery Management
5) Click Restore (on the bar across the top)
6) Click Restore To System Factory Default

NOTE: It takes about 20 mins.

If this does not work, you will need to order the Recovery Disc Set and install it this way.

Order Recovery Disc

https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=emachines

1) Turn on the computer
2) Start tapping/pressing F12 for Boot Menu Options
3) Insert Emachines Recovery Disc
4) Select DVD/CD-ROM and press enter
5) Press any key to start installation
6) Follow Instruction on Screen

Emachines Support: 1-866-586-2237

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I made it to the reformat screen, but "exit" is pre-selected. I can't figure out how to be able to select the reformat option.

Its really hard to say why its blocking you. If the F11 isnt working, try from the Desktop and I think you should be able to create your own recovery disc using the method from the Desktop Recovery. If not, you will either have to order those recovery disc using the link I gave you, or even better, just get rid of Vista and go with Windows 7 and ebay has it for around $99.00.

:)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I upload windows 7, will it stop the windows explorer from stopping and restarting.

YES! Windows Vista is pretty much a trail-n-error even Microsoft is calling it that now. Thats why Service Pack 1 has not even been released yet for Windows 7 because its that good and very stable. I have used it since day 1 and not 1 problem what so ever. Additionally, its much faster so you can even run this on a mini/netbook without the dragging of the speed/performace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be better to just backup your files and do a CLEAN/CUSTOM install so all the faults in vista does not copy over with Windows 7. Also, there are known issues with Upgrades Only with the Sound and DVD/CD-ROM Drives stop working. This is how you perform a Clean Install.

Windows 7 (Guide) with step by step pictures/instructions...

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install_7/install_7a.htm

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 to get Boot Menu Options

3) Insert Windows 7 DVD

4) Select DVD/CD-ROM and press enter

5) Press and key to start the installation

Now, when you get to the point where it tells you to choose the disk, (Step 8 & 9)...

1) Click Drive Options (Advanced) in the bottom right corner

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install_7/images/image2_3.html

2) Select each drive and click DELETE so only 1 remains

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install_7/images/image2_4.html

Then go through with your setup since the hard drive is now blank.

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What if the computer will not turn on anymore, is there a way to extract files?

What do you mean, extract what files? Also, what do you mean it will not turn on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
intermittenly, my computer will not reboot. When I push the power button, the computer turns on, but sometimes it does not reboot all the way up. The screen stays black and I have to turn it on and off a few times for it to work properly. Is there a way to extract data that I have not backed up? I conducted a back up in October, but I have about 2 months of stuff we haven't backed up.

I see, sounds like the operating system is corrupted. Did you try Safemode?

Please shut down the computer and turn it off. Then power it back on and lets go into Safemode with Networking.

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F8 until you see Advanced Options Menu

3) Select Safemode with Networking and press enter

4) Boot to Desktop

:)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i tried safemode. both of them. and I tried clean up. right now it won't turn back on. any ideas about what to do next.

Then if you go to Windows 7, so that no data is lost, I need you to follow my instructions exactly...

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 to get Boot Menu Options (if you have this option)

3) Insert Windows 7 DVD

4) Select DVD/CD-ROM and press enter

5) Press any key to start the installation

&

(DO NOT) delete or format the drivers. Simply click on NEXT and it will pop up a message talking about a folder called Windows.Old where the old OS and Files will be backed up to. When you get back on the destkop, this is how you get your PERSONAL FILES back and you can simply right-click and CUT/PASTE these files back to where they belong.

1) Click Start

2) Open Computer

3) Open C Drive

4) Open Windows.Old

5) Open Users

6) Open your user profile and here are all your files

NOTE: When your finished moving your data back over to the new desktop, you will need to DELETE the Windows.Old folder as its wasted disk space as 10GB or more!

THANKS!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The computer is not starting now. I'll have to try later. Thanks a lot. You were very helpful with the reformating.
Your Welcome!