I need to restore to factory settings my ASUS 1005HAB without

Customer Question
cd/dvd drive. In trying to access...
I need to restore to factory settings my ASUS 1005HAB without cd/dvd drive.
In trying to access the booting partition on the harddrive a pressing F9 does not give me a menu. F2 for bios screen gives no options either.
Where to go from here?

Bill Nieuwkerk [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
12/10/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 7 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
  1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the power cord back in, hit the Power On button and immediately start tapping F2 until the BIOS screen shows up.
  3. Once it shows up, hit the F9 button. It will ask you to restore everything to default and hit "OK".
  4. Go to the Boot tab and highlight Boot Booster and hit enter. Now highlight "Disable" and then hit the enter button.
  5. From there, scroll up one or two spaces and hit highlight the Boot Configuration and hit enter. Highlight Quiet Boot and hit enter. Disable it.
  6. Hit F10 and enter, then immediately start tapping F9. Once you see it saying "Loading pre-installation environment" quit tapping the F9 key. This is where you will reinstall Windows.
  7. Once it comes up it will ask you if you're sure you want to reinstall Windows. (Remember: you'll lose EVERYTHING on your computer if you do this.) Hit the OK button.
  8. From here it walks you through the Symantec Ghost reinstallation wizard.

Please click on Accept Answer so I will receive recognition for answering your question or post back here if you need more help.

Hi Tom

Thank you for your answer.

I could follow your instructions until step 6,until hittingF10 and tapping F9.

Upon tapping F9 a "DOS"- like screen showed briefly, but did not seem to contain

"loading pre... etc" and shortly after the WINDOWS loading screen shows up,

leading to user choices.

Bill Nieuwkerk

Hi Tom (or whoever else available)

As I indicated in my follow-up question Friday I cannot get beyond step 6 to get to the BIOS screen to get to the HD partition to reinstall Windows.

When I did not get an answer

Hi Tom (or whoever else available)

When I did not get an answer I thought you finished for the weekend and should wait till monday ,but would appreciate a solution today. Bill

After you hit F10 and enter to exit the BIOS screen, make sure to immediately start tapping F9 then. If you have already tried that, let me know and we'll look to see what else we can do here.

After tapping f9 in step 6,I get a brief flash of some ASUS specifications followed by the regular XP loading screen .The"loading pre-installation.....etc" message never

showed.

Thank you ,

Bill

And can you double check that all the settings from the previous steps are correct?
Tom K
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager