I have a dell studio laptop with windows 7. The wireless capability

Customer Question
I have a dell studio...
I have a dell studio laptop with windows 7. The wireless capability has become disabled. I need to get it turned back on or find out what I need to do.

thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
12/4/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 7 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Please look on the left side of your Dell Studio and verify that you have the Wireless switch put in the "right position" where the orange is not showing.

graphic

If it is already on, let's verify that you have the wireless adapter enabled.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings -> verify that Wireless Network Connection is active and not set to Disabled

If it is disabled, right click on it and Enable it.

Update me on the results. If you still have issues, there are more options we can explore. Just reply here.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
also, i followed your instructions anyhow, even though the picture instructions weren't applicable. The phrases that you said I should look for are different from what is in my computer control panel and there is no way to tell if its enabled or not. You need to check your information.

thank you.
The information provided is correct. You may have your control panel set up for group view instead of "small icons" or "large icons". This option is in the upper right of the control panel window.
ok, i did that. now what please?
What's the status of Wireless Network Connection?
I'm sorry but I have no clue. There is nothing in that list that says "Wireless Network Connection." I followed your instructions but the things in the list are apparently not completely the same because there IS NO ITEM ENTITLED "WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION" so I can't tell you if it says enabled or not.

Is there no way we can speak by IM or phone? I don't have for this back and forth when what you're telling me is not what I'm finding by following your instructions.
It is against JustAnswer policy to direct email, direct phone, or remote in to a customer.

I am assuming that you were able to go to Start -> Control Panel -> (small icon view) -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings

What items are listed here?

Ok, I finally found it. It had changed itself back to category view.

I'm in Change Adapter Settings. There are 4 items in there. What am I supposed to be looking for?

Local Area Connection
Local Area Connection 2
Wireless network connection
Wireless network connection 2
What is the status of Wireless Network Connection and Wireless Network Connection 2? (Connected/Not Connection/Disabled)?

Edited by Mr. Clark on 12/4/2010 at 9:30 PM EST
What am I looking for? You are a computer expert. I am not! One says enabled somewhere on the page, another has a long list of indecipherable questions to me, another takes me to the little icon at the bottom of the sys tray, the other takes me to any indecipherable list.

BTW: just so that you know. I have a wire plugging my laptop into the modem or I couldn't be online.
I told you. There are two of each. I don't see anything that says status.
why didn't you tell me that I had to view the four items in a certain view? I found it by accident. Why didn't you tell me what to look for?

the first one says french 2
the seond one says network cable unplugged
the third says not connected
the fourth says not connected
I have been very clear in my instructions. My instructions that are being provided are by default views. If you have changed the views, I cannot help that. I'm doing my best, XXXXX XXXXX actually seeing your screen.

When you post back to back, it delays my response.

Looks like you have two wireless adapters.

Right click on Wireless Network Connection and go to Connect to a Network

Does a popup with networks appear in the lower right corner?
I'm sorry. You asked a question that required me to see it in a specific view which you didn't tell me. I just started going thru the options and found an answer. The other options had no answer. I'm frustrated.

Now: do you want me to click on Wireless Network Connection or Wireless Network Connection 2?
I'm not sure which one is your active wireless adapter, so let's start with Wireless Network Connection.

Right click on it and select Connect to a network.

I rt clicked both. neither one of them says "connect to a network"
Hmm... ok, what options do you have when you right click?
There is a huge list of about 15 choices. I can't copy and paste them.

None of them indicates anything like connect to a network.

This means I have to go back and forth and write them out manually bc them mean zero to me.
is this what you're talking about?

after I rt click, I get a menu that says
Disable
Status
Create Shortcut
Delete
Rename
Properties

there is nothing like what you're asking me.
Please verify the version of Windows you have. You stated that you had Windows 7 in your initial question.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
where should i look. it is windows 7? if there is a place to look, could you not have told me where?
all it says is windows 7 home edition. it also says 64-bit if that's important
sorry it says windows 7 home premium
Okay. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center

Look on the bottom middle of the network.

Please click on the Connect to a Network.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY BOTTOM MIDDLE OF THE NETWORK. IT'S A FREAKING PAGE WITH FREAKING ICONS ON IT. IT MEANS NOTHING TO ME. AND, THERE IS NOTHING THERE THAT SAYS CONNECT TO A NETWORK ON THE PAGE YOU HAD ME OPEN.

IT IS A PAGE. IS IT A NETWORK? IF IT IS A NETWORK, WHAT IS IT CALLED?
WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE? IT LOOKS LIKE A PAGE WITH 4 ITEMS IN IT.

THERE IS NOTHING THAT SAYS CONNECT TO NETWORK AND NOTHING THAT IDENTIFIES IT AS A NETWORK.

YOU ARE THE "EXPERT." IF I UNDERSTOOD THESE THINGS I WOULDN'T NEED TO ASK AN EXPERT WHO UNDERSTANDS THE WHOLE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I DON'T. I HAVEN'T A CLUE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T TOLD ME. YOU ARE GIVING ME INSTRUCTIONS THAT ARE NOT ACCURATE.

WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO DO? IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN IT BRIEFLY IN RELATIVELY LAYMAN'S TERMS, PERHAPS I CAN FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS.

IF YOU CAN'T DO THIS, PLEASE JUST REFUND MY MONEY. i CAN'T HANDLE THIS ANYMORE AND I DOUBT IF YOU CAN EITHER.

SUSAN FRENCH
First, I am here to assist you. I am explaining this in the simplest terms I can.

I have provide a screen shot below from Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center of what I am looking for:

graphic

Circled in red is the Connect to a network, in the bottom middle of the page.

Please click on that link and tell me if anything pops up in the lower right hand corner of your screen (above the time).
Do you mind telling me if English is not your first language? Your verbal skills leave a lot to be desired. Russian perhaps?

Circled in red the CONNECT TO A NETWORK, in the bottom middle of the page.

where you have circled is not the bottom middle of the page. it is down the left side, in a bulleted listing of 4 items. Bottom middle would be at the very, very bottom of the page and centered in the middle of the page horizontally. Your instructions suck and they're wrong. They do not completely describe what you want me to do. I have to go back and forth from your instructions to the pages you direct me to which do not have what you tell me to look for.

This is just one example. There are more.

When I finally found what you had circle, it does not give me the information you requested. Yes, a pop up popped up of a menu that says "currently connected to French 2. Internet access. The link does nothing with a right click. It is a left click.

Now give me back my money or there is going to be hell to pay and I will leave the nastiest of reviews. You don't know what the hell you're doing. You do not know how to describe things. You did not answer my question about the orginal switch which is not there. You did not tell me to put the network and sharing view into a list, which was not obvious to anyone. It comes up in a page with 4 labeled icons. wireless connection, wireless connection 2, wireless network connection and wireless network connection 2 but there is nothing else on that page.

Your very first instruction was incorrect and did not lead me to the place you wanted me to go. Therefore, I couldn't answer your questions because I was in the wrong place.

The popup says that I am connected. Did you notice that I told you that I am connected by a wire to the modem or I COULD NOT BE TALKLING TO YOU ON THIS FREAKING COMPUTER.

You of all people should know to be more careful, especially in email written instructions to not say right click when you mean left click.

the popup says its connected. is it?

I can't work with you if 1) you are not careful to give the proper instructions 2) your screen shots do not show what you have described verbally and your instructions continually send me to the wrong pages, where you ask me questions I can't answer because the answers are not where you say they should be.

jusst give my money back. I'm sorry. You don't have a decent command of the language, especially the written language, even if English were your first language, which I do not believe it is.

You have wasted my entire day chasing incomplete and incorrect instructions.

I'm done. Give me my money back. You don't know what the hell you're doing. What do you mean "default?" Obviously you are reading from a written set of instructions instead of knowing what you're doing and the set of written instructions is obviously NOT FOR A DELL WINDOWS 7.
First, yes, English is my first language. I lived in Louisiana the majority of my life and currently reside in South Carolina. I do this as an independent contractor and I am an executive of a major IT company in the South Carolina. I have been in the industry for almost 10 years, with over 1000+ accepts with JustAnswer. Please do not insult my credentials or credibility.

If you must know, the Dell Studio 1558 does not have an external wireless switch. Your switch is enabled. The issue lies whether your network card is defective, there is malware/spyware on your machine that is redirecting your DNS, or you just aren't actively connected to a network.

I have been very patient with your abusive tone, degrading attitude, and I am now ceasing communication with you. I will put in your request for a refund with customer service.

I have no authority over your funds or your deposits. Please forward all request related to billing to [email protected].

Edited by Mr. Clark on 12/5/2010 at 2:20 AM EST
Aaahhh. The deep south. That makes sense. But, you are still guessing and giving me wrong answers. I have been at this all day. I emailed you all the incorrect and incomplete answers you sent me and you have had me chasing all day to track down a stupid setting error somewhere.

That setting was fixed once already by dell. That's why I have 2 different listings or whatever you would call them. It took them 5 minutes. I just couldn't remember what they did.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for an incorrect setting? What would cause a setting to change itself twice? I didn't change it. Dell fixed it once and here it is again. Please refund my money.
Your refund has been requested. I am no longer assisting you due to your unprofessional tone. Please forward all request related to billing to [email protected]. Have a great night.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer