Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

i have an iomega portable harddrive model ldhd250-U purchased

i have an iomega portable harddrive model ldhd250-U purchased in 2006 which was automatically backing up my PC (Win XP) until about a year ago (stopped for no apparent reason). The PC which it was backing up died about a month ago (internal harddrive died). The new PC is running Windows-7 64 bit, which does not recognize the driver/drive combination on the old Iomega install CD. So how do I go about restoring the IAB files from the portable hard drive? Do I have to find another XP system?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 years ago.
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Can you please let me know the serial number of the drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
P/N 31460200

There's also a alphanumeric below the UPC: FRAF4729AK
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 years ago.
You can download all the softwares for your hard drive from the link below.

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/p/3,35/answer_type/172
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem is that while Windows 7 does not require any additional drivers to access the USB 2.0 harddrive, it does not appear to have the ability to interpret the IOMEGA backup files. The hard drive works. I can (and always have been) able to access the drive and the files on it. I just cannot extract the files I need from the backup formats
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 years ago.
Do you remember the name of the program,which is used to backup your old PC?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was the standard IOMEGA backup, provided on the install CD, which, as I stated, the new Windows 7 OS will not install.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 years ago.
There is no program with that name.Unless you can confirm the exact name,I am unable to help you.Please check the disc and let me know if you can find something on it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't tell you the name of the program unless I can install the CD. I cannot install the CD because of the version difference (64 bit Windows 7 versus 32-bit Windows XP). You cannot tell me how to extract files from the IOMEGA format files (IAB, et al).

We are no further that my original question.

Perhaps there is someone else who can advise?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 years ago.
I have found out the name of the program it is "
Roxio® Retrospect Express" and as you are usnig Windows 7 and iOmega do not provide the latest version of the program free of cost you may have to buy it and use it to restore the IAB files.You can follow the steps below...

Follow the steps below to update the Roxio® Retrospect Express software that came with your Iomega® drive:

1. Go to http://www.retrospect.com and download the latest update Retrospect Express update file(s) for PC or Mac.
  2. Double click the update file(s) to install.
  3. Restart your computer when the update is complete.
  4. After your computer restarts you should perform a new backup.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually, the name of the program is IOMEGA Automatic Backup (I managed to write it down as it flashed through the install sequence -- enough repetition and even I can read -- before the install failed).

I cannot find anything on the Roxio site that indicates they handle the IOMEGA backup format.

At this point, I think I will pursue alternative avenues.

Take your $38 bucks, but I am not happy.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 years ago.
You should have researched some more before giving me the negative feedback.

Iomega Automatic Backup, Automatic Backup Pro, Iomega Backup, 1-Step Backup, and other backup programs are no longer sold or developed by Iomega. As a valued Iomega customer, you can now receive discounts on Roxio Retrospect and Retrospect Pro. For more information on these backup packages, please see the Iomega Online Store

Can you please remove the negative feedback from my profile.

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16741/kw/IOMEGA%20Automatic%20Backup

Edited by Sudipto on 11/27/2010 at 9:37 PM EST