mouse on sony vaio vgn laptop does not work. how can i fi

Customer Question
mouse on sony vaio vgn...
mouse on sony vaio vgn laptop does not work. how can i fix?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
11/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Sudipto, Hardware Engineer replied 7 years ago
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Do you mean the touchpad on the laptop or any external mouse?
the touchpad
OK
Try this one and let me know...

Shut down the PC and then restart the PC and start tapping the F8 key as soon as it power on until you can see the Windows Option Menu like the image below then select Safemode and press enter.After that let me know when windows starts..

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_www.checkcomputersetup.com/files/windowsxp/windows_safe_mode/safe_mode_advanced_menu.PNG
windows has started in safe mode
OK
Can you use the touchpad now?
No. Mouse arrow does not move when moving finger across touchpad.
Do you have any external mouse that you can connect with the laptop and check that if you can use it?
no i do not have an external mouse that i can plug in to the laptop
OK
Follow the steps again and let me know...

Press Windows Key+R and type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Device Manager will open up.

Click the + sign beside Mice and other Pointing Devices.

Then Right click on the device name listed under it and select Uninstall

Then restar the PC.

Edited by Sudipto on 11/24/2010 at 8:18 PM EST
i cannot get the mouse to move over to the + and click
Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to do it.
the arrow keys did not get me to the + but i was finally able to get the mouse to move enough and have now uninstalled the pointing device. i just restarted and the touchpad still does not move the arrow for the mouse... occasionally i had been able to get it to move a bit but now i cant move it at all
OK
This seems to be the common problem with the VAIO models actually the touchpad is connected by a tiny flat cable with the mother board and it have been seen that the cable is getting loose from the mother board and causing this problem.To resolve the issue you have to open up the laptop from the back and reconnect the cable properly with the mother board.But as it is a hardware technician's job I will suggest you take the laptop to any small repair shop and do the repair otherwise if you take it to the sony repair center they will tell you to replace the whole mother board for this small repair and if the laptop is still under warranty then it will be done free of cost by Sony.
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer