Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Have trouble with outlook express E-mail. Have mail in the

Customer Question

Have trouble with outlook express E-mail.
Have mail in the inbox bur can't open
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Hi, can you tell me more about the problem please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I recently had a new computer built, since then my E-mail has been screwed up. Before if I had mail I would cliclk on READ MAIL. Now I have to click on SEND/RECIEVE.
However my wifes account when SEND/RECIEVE is clicked I get eror message. She has 2 messages which dose not open Her address [email protected]
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Did this ever work on the new computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Fw: VERY IMPORTANT re: virus! PLEASE READ: (Snopes confirms)', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.1 Not our Customer', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.

You are trying to send an email to an account that doesn't exist.

Can you please try to send an email to yourself and tell me if you got it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The message could not be opened from out Outbox folder. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800420C8
This when I tried to send a message to myself.

No nor can my wifes account send a message to her own account
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure how to proceed with this case, so I will forward the question back to the expert pool. As soon as another expert picks up the question, you will be notified.

Sorry I couldn't resolve your issue!

J.
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
Greetings. I'd like to take over for here if you're still willing.

Just to confirm, you are unable to open an email in your Outbox or in your Inbox?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This message appeared when I tried to send from ny account a E-mail [email protected] My wife account. She is the other user on my computer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It now appears my E-mail is working, but not my wifes account. BUT, prior to changing everything from my old computer to the new one, on outlook express, on the lower right corner, it showed there were messages and how many. And one would click on read mail and the mail would appear. Now I have to click on send/receive to open mail.

This appears
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, give me a moment to read what you wrote and respond accordingly.
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to leave this as an answer, but do NOT click accept until you've tried it and are sure it resolved your issue.

First step is to check if you have multiple accounts doing the same function. So on your wife's login, for her email. Do the following. Be sure there's only one account and not multiple for her.

1. In Outlook Express, on the Tools menu, click Accounts.
  2. Click the Mail tab.
  3. Click a duplicate mail account, and then click Remove. Repeat this step until only one instance of the mail account remains.
  4. Click Close.
If the earlier steps do not resolve the behavior, rename the Outbox.dbx file. Note that any items that remain in the Outbox folder in Outlook Express are permanently deleted after you perform the deletion. To do so, follow these steps:
  1. Quit Outlook Express.
  2. Right-click Start, and then click Find or Search.
  3. Search for the Outbox.dbx file.
  4. Right-click the file, click Delete, and then click Yes.
  5. Start Outlook Express, and then try to send the message again.

Referenced here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175327

Be sure to ONLY rename the outbox.dbx. Its possible its corrupt or there is stuck mail.

Let me know the results either way, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No did not resolve situation. Thanks anyway Guess I'll use Comcast mail.
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I still have a few more ideas.

What virus scan program are you using?