I am having problems connecting my New Generation Kindle WiFi

I am having problems connecting...
I am having problems connecting my New Generation Kindle WiFi to our wireless router.
The wireless connection is fine and my laptop is connected without any problems.
We are in South Africa, Johannesburg. The Kindle was bought from Amazon.com.
Is there any settings that need to be done to the Kindle to connect to our settings in South Africa? Will this Kindle be able to function in South Africa?
I cannot wait to buy books and use my Kindle.
Please can you help !!!
Kind regards,
Margaret van Graan
11/10/2010
Vcomputer
Vcomputer, Computer Software Engineer

Please follow
  • Establishing Connection: If you have difficulty connecting to the Kindle store or other wireless resources on your Kindle, make sure the wireless switch on the back of your Kindle (1st Generation) is in the "ON" position and your battery is charged.

• Checking Signal Strength: Check the wireless signal strength by looking at the signal strength shown at the bottom of the screen. You need at least one bar of signal strength to establish a connection to the Kindle store and other wireless features. Areas such as elevators, tunnels, or other obstructed locations may interfere with the wireless signal.

• Checking Wireless Coverage: Because Whispernet uses Sprint's high speed data network, wireless delivery and other Kindle features using wireless connectivity will not function outside the Sprint high-speed data network coverage area and are subject to Sprint network service outages. Note: There is no Sprint data network coverage for Kindle in Montana and Alaska.

To see if wireless coverage is available for your area, please see our wireless coverage map.
Hope this will help you. Please acknowledge my answer by clicking the ACCEPT button.

Please ask me again instead of giving negative feedback. your question will be open for further follow up, if needed.

This does not help at all, we are in Johannesburg South Africa.

Please check the wireless signal strength, Are you getting full signal?
The signal is on 4 lines of the available 5
I will opt out so that other experts may help you with better ideas.
Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Is it the 3g model?
No it is the new generation WiFi model
Ok, try this, hit the home button and choose settings, When you're on the Settings screen, type 311 on Kindle's keyboard.

When prompted to switch wireless providers, select "OK" to see a list of providers in your area. Please allow up to two minutes for Kindle to complete a search of available wireless providers.

Select a carrier from the list and wait for Kindle to return to the Setting screen and attempt to connect to Whispernet. If after two minutes you are still unable to connect or your signal strength does not improve, please repeat the steps above and select a different carrier from the list.

Let me know what happens....
Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
It gives me 2 Wi Fi networks. The strongest network is our own router network. It then asks for a password. I enter the password XXXXX with our router and when asked to connect it still says that it cannot connect. We don`t have Whispernet in South Africa.
What is your country set at when you go to amazon.com and click on manage my kindle? It's at the bottom of this page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_14&

You should have whispernet in south africa:

Kindle Whispernet Wireless Coverage in Africa (or lack thereof)

Kindle Whispernet Wireless Coverage in Africa, only Gabon, Kenya, South Africa, and Tanzania have whispernet coverage.

I cannot find the country set on that page, when purchasing I did enter South Africa
It's near the bottom:

graphic
Molinari
Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist