I put $56 dollars into your system and no one gave me an answer.

Is anyone going to get...
Is anyone going to get back to me within the next 15 minutes or should I wait to see your response in the morning. It is almost midnight and I've been working on this for an hour. Thanks.

The problem is that skype does not work on my desktop (HP Allinone) that is three months old. It worked for 14 weeks and then stopped. I can get skype on my laptop so it isn't the wifi in the house. I got an invalid port error message but I have no idea how to find the settings for the port. If you can tell me how to find the settings and what to enter, I can fix this.
11/8/2010
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Hi you appeared to be offline so I changed the question to Q&A format.

when you install Skype for the first time on any given machine, Skype assigns a RANDOM port to be used for incoming calls when you clicked 'advanced' or go into advance setting on Skype it has been known to auto change this port to 0 so what you need to do is going into advance settings and check the port that Skype is assigned to use now it must be a port between 1024 and 65535 it can be any of these ports unless you know of a specific port your router is set to forward to the private IP address where Skype is running routers, port forwarding is NOT required, in which case you can choose any port within the range specified, also if you are using a firewall on your computer you may need to open that port in the firewall or make an exception rule so skype can pass through using the specified port.

Let me know if you need anymore information
This did not work. I went to advanced settings and connections and typed in 1024. I then tried to send a call to my skype address from another computer and another skype address and the call did not come through. There is obviously a firewall or something else that is blocking it. It was on 0 and I changed it to 1024. I checked after I tried calling and it is now set on 1024 but it isn't working. As I said in my original message, this is a new computer, but skype worked for 14 weeks and then suddenly stopped. I need another solution.
Can you tell me what operating system your computer is using?
Windows 7. I also have to leave for work in about 5 minutes and won't be back to this computer until this afternoon--about 2:30 CT. So anything you suggest now I won't be able to read and implement until then. Thanks.

Not a problem whenever you reply back to this message we can continue working on it.

This first thing I would suggest just to do a test and see if the firewall is in the way is to turn off the firewall

To Turn off the firewall in windows 7

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type firewall, and then click Windows Firewall.

2. Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

3. Click Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) under each network location that you want to stop trying to protect, and then click OK.

Once you have the firewall turned off try skype again and see if you are still having an issue with the port problem

One thing to try is also try a higher port on the off chance the port 1024 is being used by another one of your programs.

Let me know if turning off your firewall fixes the issue if it does we can turn it back on and make an exception in it for skype so it always lets skype calls through

The firewall is checked to allow skype activation. So the firewall isn't the problem. What else can we try? I also tried a different port number, that didn't change anything either. Nothing has changed with the computer in the past two weeks. Do you have a number for skype that I can call and talk to someone there. If you do, I'll pay you and move on unless you have another idea.

On thing to do is In Skype under Tools > Options > Connections untick the option Use ports 80 and 443 for incoming connections.

that makes sure it defaults to use the port you typed in try that

Also unfortunately skype doesn't have a contact number but you can open a customer ticket with them

Go to the Skype Support website. There you can fill out a contact request form. Specify the general nature of the problem and the specific problem category from the drop down menu provided.

I tried it and it didn't work.

Ok If you have an anti virus software that blocks ports that would be one thing I would check

I would definitely try turning the firewall off just to check.

But if that didn't work I would use Revo Uninstaller Pro

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-professional-version.php

Download and install this

Open the program you will see a list of all installed software

Right click on skype

Select Uninstall

It will go through 3 steps

1) Analyze and backup registry

2) remove skype

3) It will ask you to pick an option chose advance and then hit scan it will scan for all traces of skype

Once it finds all the traces select all and then delete all

Reboot your computer

Then download a fresh copy of skype and see if it works with the default settings.

Also one thing is to make sure the account you are using with skype is an administrative account just to make sure you have full rights.

If it still doesn't work after that I will opt out and allow another expert to chime in if you like

Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
I've installed it and it's ready to scan. When I reboot my computer will I lose you or will it restore all of the windows I have open? I don't want to have to give my credit card again and then start over with someone else. Thanks.
Please come back to the original question and we can continue here

Sorry, I've been working all evening. The original problem is that I installed skype on my new computer in August (HP All in one TouchSmart). It worked fine until two weeks ago. Then it stopped working. I knew there had been an automatic update to version 5 and thought something might have happened with that. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and nothing worked. I checked the connection situation and it said that I had an invalid port. I tried to figure out what to do with it from their online help which was ponderous and not helpful so I contacted you. I have tried every solution that you and others have sent me and nothing works. I've pulled up skype on a laptop and used my husband's skype address to do the checking. After each fix you suggest, we call my skype address and we are told that there was no answer. It does not ring on my end. When I hit call on my skype, nothing happens. That's it.

OK I am sorry I am running out of ideas I will opt out so another expert can opt in and help
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX am going to accept this and get someone to come to the house and figure out what is going on. We have a good service with our broadband company. I appreciate your efforts.
Omer
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager