I have lost e-mails from my Outlook Express Inbox. Please…

Customer Question
I have lost e-mails from...
I have lost e-mails from my Outlook Express Inbox. Please can you help.

I looked on a Just Answers web page for solutions. It recommended deleting Inbox.dbx and then restoring by Ctr M in Outlook Express. This hasn't worked.

I have saved the Inbox.dbx to a different file name.... Read full answer

I have saved the Inbox.dbx to a different file name.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert

Inbox.dbx is the file that contains your messages. Why did you delete it?
Because a "Just Answer" page suggested doing so. I have renamed it and put it in another folder though.
How big is it?
715,000 KB
Okay.
Please copy it back to the same folder, and rename it to Inbox.

In Outlook Express,click Tools | Options . on the Maintenance tab, you should press the Store Folder button.

This is the folder you should put the Inbox.dbx file in.

Do this while Outlook is closed. Then open it, click FIle, and click Compact all folders

J.
Will this restore files that were deleted ? Files seem to have been deleted for a specific period - not the whole Inbox.dbx file ?
This will restore any files that are still in the Inbox.dbx file.
Any files that you deleted (and if they are not in the Deleted Items folder) are gone and cannot be retrieved.

J.

I didn't delete any files. I was trying to restore files.

I cannot replace the Inbox.dbx file as it says it already exists. I think these are the e-mails that you have sent.

Close Outlook, rename the existing inbox.dbx to inbox.old
Then copy over the older inbox.dbx.

If it is still locked, reboot the computer and try again BEFORE opening Outlook.

J.
How will I get back to you if I reboot the computer ?
COme back to justanswer.com and click My Questions.

J.

Before I try this..

I restored items in the recycle bin. Surely deleted e-mails should be restored ?

No, the recycle bin takes care only of files, never of email messages.

J.
How do I restore deleted e-mails then. This is what I'm trying to do.
You need to try to find them in the "Deleted Items" folder in Outlook Express.

J.

If I knew how to do that I would have done it in the first place. Please be more specific and give clear instructions on how to recover items from the deleted items folder.

It doesn't help that your instructions aren't displayed on the screen while I'm waiting for you to reply.

Sorry for not being clearer.

Please open Outlook Express.
Click the Delete Items folder.
Locate the messages you want to restore, and highlight them.

Drag the messages back to the Inbox.

Thanks,

J.

The items are not in the deleted items of outlook express. I know how to find items within outlook express, but not how to restore files that seem to have been accidentally deleted, but not by me.

Try to use THIS SOFTWARE to recover the missing messages.

If that doesn't help, there is no way to recover them.

J.
But I'm paying you to solve the problem. I could have gone straight into purchasing software. Do you not have software available ?
I will opt out of the question, hopefully someone else can help you.
Relist: James was unable to answer my question without referring to annother site requiring software purchase..
James was unable to answer my question without referring to annother site requiring software purchase.
So I won't be charged unless someone else answers the question ?

Actually, no one will be able to help you. Once you delete messages and empty the deleted items folder, there is no way to restore them.

The deleted items folder hasn't been deleted. The Deleted Items.dbx folder is 78,000 KB. How do I restore these items without deleting the existing contents of the Inbox ?

You were rather a long time in responding. Please reply promptly.

As I mentioned above, I opted out of the question. If you another expert can answer it, you will be notified.

Thanks,

J.
James. As you opted out of the question, I feel it is reasonable that I opt out of paying.
Of course - you can click the Help icon and withdraw your deposit.

J.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Yesterday, Outlook Express decided to delete all my incoming
Yesterday, Outlook Express "decided" to delete all my incoming e-mail messages upon receipt. My Inbox and Sent folders were too big - so I cut them down to size. Still problems. I can intercept my e-m… read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
Hi. I have Microsoft Outlook 6 as an e-mail program. Yesterday
Hi. I have Microsoft Outlook 6 as an e-mail program. Yesterday I have lost about 1.5 years of e-mails from Inbox going back from 2nd February. To my knowledge didn't click anything out of the ordinary… read more
Wiz of All
Wiz of All
I have a compaq laptop operating Microsoft XP and Outlook Express
I have a compaq laptop operating Microsoft XP and Outlook Express connected to Yahoo.com for e-mail. Somehow it has downloaded some 2400 messages and it will not let me delete messages nor move them, … read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
Stop searching for answers—
I have lost my local folders I have created in outlook express
I have lost my local folders I have created in outlook express they may have been compressed as I have found the named folders in my recycle bin but I can not open them & when I tried to restore them … read more
TonnyJonny
TonnyJonny
I was compacting email files in Outlook Express 6 when the
I was compacting email files in Outlook Express 6 when the computer seemed to hang up while compacting the Inbox. Eventually the compacting was finished, but then I discovered that most of the 2010 em… read more
MWare
MWare
System Engineer,
caAn unknown error has occurred. Account mail.adam.com.au,
caAn unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.adam.com.au', Server: 'mail.adam.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0133 cannot receive inbox messages from my ser… read more
TonnyJonny
TonnyJonny
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My outlook just asked me to compact and I said ok. It deleted
My outlook just asked me to compact and I said ok. It deleted everything in my inbox, drafts & sent, also, everything may 20 to now in my deleted. How do I recover these e-mails?… read more
Support Technician,
why cant I delete an email I have selected the email to delete
why can't I delete an email? I have selected the email to delete and have clicked on the "Delete" button, but the message still sits there. What can I do?… read more
johnpj1
johnpj1
Owner,
In Outlook Express, certain e-mails in the inbox list will
In Outlook Express, certain e-mails in the inbox list will close Outlook Express when you click to try and open them. Thus you can't read the mail or delete them. Is this a virus or what?… read more
Ryan B.
Ryan B.
Desktop Support Technician,
Cannot delete 4 emails in the inbox and one in the deleted
Cannot delete 4 emails in the inbox and one in the deleted items. Cannot get into deleted items. emails are advertisement and all come in the form of walmart_get_coupon_ (example)… read more
CompuTech
CompuTech
Software Engineer,
I cannot delete any messages from my inbox using outlook express.
I cannot delete any messages from my inbox using outlook express. I tried creating another folder, moving them to it and then deleting and that also didn't work. When I try to drag them to the deleted… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
I have Windows XP Home Edition, with SP3. My laptop is a 7
I have Windows XP Home Edition, with SP3. My laptop is a 7 yr old Dell. Early yesterday morning, I got the message to compact my emails in OE which I did. However, later, I noticed that my messages fr… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
Stop searching for answers—
Outlook express recently dumped about 8 months worth of email.
Outlook express recently "dumped" about 8 months worth of email. It had been coming up with a lot of "error" messages just prior to that. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get those email me… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
I have an e-mail issue with Outlook Express. Ive lost all
I have an e-mail issue with Outlook Express. I've lost all e-mails twice in the last week approx. 110 of them. I've checked with Road Runner and per them evrything is set correctly. I can receive and … read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
I have a Sony VA10 and am using Outlook Express for my e-mail.
I have a Sony VA10 and am using Outlook Express for my e-mail. Yesterday all my e-mail disappeared as well my ability to receive or sent. The error message is: An unknown error has occurred. Account: … read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
I am using Outlook Express and now cannot send or receive email.
I am using Outlook Express and now cannot send or receive email. This happened when I got an email that wanted a receipt response. I keep getting a pop up box that says cannot send reply. I deleted th… read more
Computer Technology Consultant,
My computer locked up while my inbox was being compacted. I
My computer locked up while my inbox was being compacted. I could not unlock it, so I turned the computer off then on again. When I brought up my e-mail, the inbox was empty. How do I retrieve the los… read more
Trevor Stuart
Trevor Stuart
Broadcast Engineer,
Last week 7 weeks of incoming messages disappeared from ...
Last week 7 weeks of incoming messages disappeared from 8-24-07 to 10-16-07. I use Outlook Express. I searched "Deleted Items" and every directory and sub directory in OE and did not find them. I had … read more
Rita
Rita
System Administrator,