My Sony Vaio laptop won't turn on, nothing happens when I press

the on button! It...
the on button! It was put away in it's neoprene protector case, where I always keep it when I'm not using it. I plugged it in to the surge protector, pressed the on button, and nothing. The AC adapter's green light was on, but nothing else was. I tried it in different plugs on the surge protector, I tried a different surge protector, I even... Read full answer
My Sony Vaio laptop won't turn on, nothing happens when I press the on button! It was put away in it's neoprene protector case, where I always keep it when I'm not using it. I plugged it in to the surge protector, pressed the on button, and nothing. The AC adapter's green light was on, but nothing else was. I tried it in different plugs on the surge protector, I tried a different surge protector, I even tried it in battery mode, and nothing!
I haven't dropped it or knocked it about, so why won't it turn on? Help!
11/2/2010
MD.REHAN
MD.REHAN, engineer

Md.Rehan :

hi

Md.Rehan :

Welcome to justanswer

Md.Rehan :

when you press power button, do you notice any LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green and do hear any sound

JACUSTOMER-5fg6zi0s- :

No, I didn't notice any of the lights blinking and there was definitely no sound. Also, the on button when I pushed it felt like it does when the brakes go out on a car and you try to use them, if you understand what I mean.

Md.Rehan :

ok

Md.Rehan :

Lets remove all the charge from your motherboard.

Unplug your laptop.(if the charger cord is connect)

Then remove the battery from the laptop.

Wait for 2 minutes
Now press power button for 1 minute(without the battery)

Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery ) and press ON button.

Tell me how it goes!

JACUSTOMER-5fg6zi0s- :

Okay, I did what you said to do, and nothing. (sorry about the delay, I had to take the dog outside to do his business.)

Md.Rehan :

Ok when you connect the charger to your laptop......does the charging indicator light on the laptop glows

JACUSTOMER-5fg6zi0s- :

If you mean the green light ring that is on the side where you plug the cord from the adapter in, no it isn't lighting up either.

Md.Rehan :

That indicates that the power is not reaching the laptop

Md.Rehan :

give me few seconds

Md.Rehan :

thanks for your patience

Md.Rehan :

The most commonly and likely cause to this type of problem is that either the ac adaptor has gone bad

Md.Rehan :

or due to loose solder joints in the laptop's power receptacle

Md.Rehan :

So first try charging your laptop with a different charger if it doesn't charges then you can be sure that the laptop's power acceptor has loose solder joints due to which its not accepting power ....you have to replace the power acceptor or resolder these joints to get everything back to allright.

Md.Rehan :

Secondly..... You also have to check your laptop's power IC

Md.Rehan :

If you are you comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry and a soldering iron then you can try all the above process else the best bet will be to go to a local repair shop or Sony authorised service center ........and repair your laptop.

Md.Rehan :

If your laptop is under warranty period then immediately take it to sony to get it repaired for free

JACUSTOMER-5fg6zi0s- :

Okay, that doesn't sound like something I can fix. I don't have any other adapter that fits it, and I wouldn't have a clue how to go about resoldering the joints, or even how to find them. There isn't a Sony store here, however I'm going to be going to Vegas in a few days, which is where the Sony store is that I bought it from. Also they have a big Fry's electronic store there, with a service center.

Md.Rehan :

Please click ACCEPT if you find my service helpful

JACUSTOMER-5fg6zi0s- :

Yes, Thank you very much for your help. ^_^

MD.REHAN
MD.REHAN, engineer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I let my laptop sit in a case for 6 months and now want to
I let my laptop sit in a case for 6 months and now want to use it. After charging the battery for 24 hrs it won't turn on and the battery was very hot, could the battery be bad?… read more
System/Network administrator,
Sony Vaio VPCEB4J0E, 6 weeks old, comes up with green light
Sony Vaio VPCEB4J0E, 6 weeks old, comes up with green light on power switch, shows no indicator that power supply is connected, will not boot, green light will not go off. Machine has started up OK at… read more
Technical Support Executive,
Engineering Diploma
My sony vaio was plugged in and it kept saying the battery
My sony vaio was plugged in and it kept saying the battery was low and to plug in adaptor. Finally it died, I tried a new adaptor and it still wont charge, I took out the battery and only used the a/c… read more
Senior Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi! I have a 2yr old Sony Vaio VGN-CS290 that wont turn on.
Hi! I have a 2yr old Sony Vaio VGN-CS290 that won't turn on. When I press the power button, the green power light goes on for about 5 seconds, but after that, nothing. It doesn't matter whether on bat… read more
Retired,
I have a Sony Vaio VGn CR507E laptop and the battery light
I have a Sony Vaio VGn CR507E laptop and the battery light is flashing 2 flashes every 2 seconds when the charger is plugged in and it does not boot up with or without the charger or battery.… read more
Leon Russell
Leon Russell
ITS Technician,
We had a lightning strike nearby and now my Sony Vaio wont
We had a lightning strike nearby and now my Sony Vaio won't turn on. I bought a replacement ac adapter since the old one wouldn't light up. The computer still will not turn on. Could the battery itsel… read more
Mike6708
Mike6708
Enrolled in associates degree
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS810. my problem is when i turn it
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS810. my problem is when i turn it on the screen wont come on. The 3 green lights next to the power switch stay on and green battery light is on. It has been very slow at start… read more
mary
mary
My sisters Sony Vaio laptop (VOCCW17FX) has been working great
My sister's Sony Vaio laptop (VOCCW17FX) has been working great since she got it in December. Yesterday it froze while viewing a PDF so we turned it off by holding the power key down. Now when we boot… read more
LogicPro
LogicPro
Bachelor of Technology
After a five second power outage my sony vaio FZ series notebook
After a five second power outage my sony vaio FZ series notebook will not fully start up. Gets to the desktop and then goes to black with power and battery lights blinking. It was plugged into a surge… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
Hi there, I have a Sony Vaio model # VCG5175. Havent
Hi there, I have a Sony Vaio model # XXXXX Haven't used it in about 5 days. I tried to turn it on and have absolutely no signs of power. I've tried changing the extension cord and still have nothing, … read more
mary
mary
I have a Satellite m35x-s149 and the screen went black and
I have a Satellite m35x-s149 and the screen went black and i cannot get it to work. Is there a way to turn it off to plug in a monitor? if so how do I turn it back on?… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
I have an ACER 1 and love it. I bought it in February. I
I have an ACER 1 and love it. I bought it in February. I attached a Telstra wireless connection and used the laptop twice. NOW I turn the lap top on and get nothing. The green light is on, the power i… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
Stop searching for answers—
got a s1700-200 i got power light on does not power up charges
got a s1700-200 i got power light on does not power up charges battery no sounds from unit ..… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
Hi there Im having a crisis!. I run a latitude D600. I have
Hi there I'm having a crisis!. I run a latitude D600. I have just plugged it into a 12v power supplier. The power supplier is a "universal notebook car adaptor" 12v. My laptop is 19.5v input and outpu… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
MY SONY VAIO WILL NOT SWITCH ON, THE BATTERY AND POWER PACK
MY SONY VAIO WILL NOT SWITCH ON, THE BATTERY AND POWER PACK ARE FINE, WHEN I TRY TO SWITCH ON LAPTOP IS DEAD, NO LIGHTS, FAN, OR ANYTHING WORK AT ALL. WHEN LAST TURNED OFF, POWER BUTTON HAD TO BE HELD… read more
mary
mary
my laptop went into sleep mode after which, I shuy it down
my laptop went into sleep mode after which, I shuy it down and now it will not boot up when I try to turn it on. Happened several weeks ago and the IBM tech that came out started it up just by turning… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy
My HP Phtosmart D7160 died suddenly. We had a brief (nano seconds)
My HP Phtosmart D7160 died suddenly. We had a brief (nano seconds) power surge two days ago and it hasnt worked since. It is plugged into a surge protector and everything else plugged into same works,… read more
KY Computer Guy
KY Computer Guy
Information Technology Manager,
Hi i have a Toshiba NB200 netbook, i only bought it a week
Hi i have a Toshiba NB200 netbook, i only bought it a week ago and now i have a problem in that my netbook won't boot up. i tried to install a 2GB memory upgrade of Ram which i know is definitely comp… read more
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Amit - The Real Computer Expert
Master of Philosophy