I want to export some of my contacts (distribution lists) from

Customer Question
my Windows Vista Outlook 2007...
I want to export some of my contacts (distribution lists) from my Windows Vista Outlook 2007 to a MadMimi account (MadMimi is a web-based email program) without exporting all my ca 900 contacts. Can you tell med how? I have tried and tried, but failed so far.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
11/1/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Omer, Information Systems Manager replied 7 years ago
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com
Now to as far as exporting your contacts from outlook one option would be to make a new Contact List in Outlook 2007

Omer Mushahwar :

Once you make this new contact list copy only the contacts you want to import to MadMimi account in to it

You appear to be offline so I will switch to a Q&A format

Once you have the new contact list which I would suggest naming MadMimi in outlook 2007 with all the contacts you want to import into madmimi do the following

Click File

Click Import Export Wizard

Select Export to a File

On the next screen select Comma Separated Values (or CSV)

Select the contact list you want to export

Select the location you want to save the file

Click Finish

Now you then go to MadMimi and click the Add button from the Audience page.

Next, click Import CSV

Browse to the CSV file you just created.

After selecting it, click Save and you should be all set

Let me know if you have any issues with this

Sorry for leaving my PC. Thanks for your answer, but you have really not answered my question to my satisfaction. I already know that i can make a new contact list, but that takes too long time if I have to select one single contact at a time and copy it from my main contact list and pasting it in the new contact list. Is there an easier way to copy a whole distribution list to a new contact list/group? I haven't found any, but perhaps you know how?

There is no simple way to export just a set of contacts out of a contact list , you can always do an export all the open the CSV file in EXCEL and delete out the contacts you don't want. But again this isn't exactly a quick process depending on the number being imported and the number of contacts which in your case is 900

As you were gearing those towards then importing it into MadMini I used the suggestion above.

How many contacts is it exactly that you are looking to export to MadMini?

200 -300 contacts, spread on 3 to 4 distribution lists. But I can find no way to export one single distribution list. Can you?

When you say spread into 3 or 4 distribution lists

Do you mean a distribution list inside you contacts

Or Do you mean an actual separate contact ls it?

Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing

Sorry, but yes, a distribution list inside my contacts.

Now if its a distribution list you have setup in side your contacts list in outlook try the following This should work and let me know if you have any questions about it.

Open your Outlook, click Distribution List you are trying to export.

And click File, Save As...

On the Save As window, select Text Only (*.txt) in the Save As Type drop down on the bottom.

Open Excel and Open the saved file above. Make sure its set to all files so you can see the text file

When you select the file from previous step, you will be automatically redirected to Text Import Wizard.

You can keep the default value, but on Step 1 of 3 screen, please make sure you select the right Start import at row:. Since the default value of 1 is apparently not what you want with something like "Distribution List Name: ...." occupy at least 4 rows. So you can find the first row with email address and put the row number (on the left) in the Start import at row: number field.

When you continue with "Next" clicking, you just review the screen and make sure everything is what you want, and click Finish in the last step.

And your file will be opened in Excel successfully.

In Excel, click File, Save As and on the Save As window, make sure you change the Save as Type as CSV like the screen below.

Name your file and save it this csv file should be setup for you to import into madMini now do this for each of your distribution lists.

Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Omer
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager