Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

After closing Outlook 2007 I must reboot Windows 7 Pro to reopen

Customer Question

After closing Outlook 2007 I must reboot Windows 7 Pro to reopen Outlook. Tried answers on different forums also tried to uninstall and reinstall Office but did not help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

This issue usually happens when an Outlook add-in prevents the program from exiting properly, rendering the user to have to restart the computer (and the Outlook process) in order to get it working again. This issue has been resolved in the SP2 update for Outlook 2007, and forces the add-ins to shut down along with the program. Please download the update using the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=B444BF18-79EA-46C6-8A81-9DB49B4AB6E5&displaylang=en

Run and install the update following the on-screen directions, restart, and let me know if this resolves your issue with Outlook all right.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I checked to see if I had the update. I found two SP2 udates but not the one listed at Microsoft. Downloaded the update and a window opened up saying the update was already installed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hmm, I see. Now, let's try disabling the Outlook add-ins manually, as follows:

In Outlook 2007, you need to go to Tools, Trust Center, Add-ins.

1. Select COM Add-ins from the dropdown at the bottom of the dialog
  2. Press Go.
  3. Uncheck all of the add-ins listed.
  4. Close the dialog.

Done that, restart Outlook, and let me know how you get on.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I deselected the add-ins that I could about a week ago. About half are still checked and can only be disconnected by the administrator. I do not know how to do that. I did this before with no results.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I see. Now, please close Outlook, right-click on it, and select 'Run as administrator'; does it come up?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Right clicking on Outlook the option of run as asministrator isn't there.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
That indicates that you are using the Start > All Programs shortcut for MS Outlook. However, as a quick fix, please download the Outlook Shutdown Add-in using the following direct link:
http://tinyurl.com/2ftjrva

Run and install the add-in first, then check if you can open/close Outlook all right now.

Keep me posted.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That was strange. I ran the add-in and it said that Outlook was running but I check the task manager and it wasn't listed. Outlook still doesn't open.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay. In the Task Manager, please click on the 'Processes' tab; do you see an 'outlook.exe' process listed?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay. Please highlight that, click on the End Task, then run the add-in once again. Finally, restart and close Outlook, and let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Outlook seems to be working now. The add-ins that I couldn't uncheck are still checked. The Outlook shutdown add-in is asking to be purchased for the full program.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay, you may skip the prompt; the add-in is completely free to use, regardless.

Regards