i have a dell studio xps vista that frequently fails to boot

up from password XXXXX...
i have a dell studio xps vista that frequently fails to boot up from password XXXXX
Eddie
10/31/2010
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Eddie I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com
When you say it fails to boot up from the password XXXXX do you mean you put in your password XXXXX then you simply get a screen with no icons? As if the computers stuc

Omer Mushahwar :

stuck

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok usually when this happens it means the explorer.exe process is being delayed either by something trying to start up or load in that is failing

Omer Mushahwar :

one thing you can do when this happens is open task manager you can do this even on that screen by pressing the Ctrl+shift+esc keys at the same time

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

then what?

Omer Mushahwar :

You can then look at the process tab and right click on explorer.exe and say end process tree
You can then go to the applications tab select new task and type in explorer.exe and the service will restart

Omer Mushahwar :

now this is simply a work around to get you past the issue

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

Next thing you have to do is see what is loading when you account logs in

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

right

Omer Mushahwar :

first place to check is your startup folder click start/windows icon select all programs and then you should see a folder named startup

Omer Mushahwar :

can you check that folder and let me know what programs it shows as start up

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

ill try

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

computor is running at the moment, how do i find start up folder?

Omer Mushahwar :

click start/windows icon

Omer Mushahwar :

click all programs

Omer Mushahwar :

or it may just say programs

Omer Mushahwar :

then click startup in the folders listed

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

cant find windows start up icon, where is it?

Omer Mushahwar :

should be in the tool bar at the bottom of the screen you can also get it by pressing the windows logo button on your keyboard

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

if im looking at the right list its seems long and shows my game folders as well

Omer Mushahwar :

well the all programs list is long should show all your programs but one of those folders in that list should say START UP .

Omer Mushahwar :

just looking for whats in that folder

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

start up says empty

Omer Mushahwar :

ok thanks for that

Omer Mushahwar :

Can you tell me does your login on the XPS have administrative privilages

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

no idea

Omer Mushahwar :

can you install software under your account

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

i can install software

Omer Mushahwar :

ok we are going to run a systems file check on your machine here is what i need you to do

Omer Mushahwar :

Click start/windows icon click all programs click accessories right click on command prompt and say run as administrator

then in the command prompt type in : SFC /SCANNOW

there is a space after the SFC hit enter let it run through the verification process this can take some time

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

its scanning

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks let me know what the results are once its done

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

thanks

Omer Mushahwar :

Is it still running?

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

95%

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks just figured Id check

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

says it found some corrupt files it was unable to fix

Omer Mushahwar :

.Alright do you have your vista installation CD

Omer Mushahwar :

we will most likely need to run a repair on windows vista to fix the corruption

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

wont be easy to find. you think i should reinstall vista?

Omer Mushahwar :

well you wont have to reinstall but we will need to run a repair to fix the corruption

Omer Mushahwar :

repairing simply fixes the files windows needs to run

Omer Mushahwar :

instead of completely wiping it

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

right, i will pay for your time because you have been so patient but ill get a friend who is good with computors to run the repair. 1 last question, is it worth getting windows7?

Omer Mushahwar :

YES haha I am a big fan of windows 7 it runs so much better than vista for its speed memory management and security

JACUSTOMER-75cfsde1- :

ill probably do that and thanks very much for helping me bye bye

Omer Mushahwar :

You are welcome thanks for using Just Answer.com

Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Omer
Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager