I have a Compac Sr 2030NX computer. I have added an additional…

I have a Compac Sr...
I have a Compac Sr 2030NX computer. I have added an additional meg of memory and would like to upgrade the processor from an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ to a faster unit. I am considering an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ / 2 ghz - Socket 939. Is this compatible and will it speed up my computer? Is it worth the expense and trouble?... Read full answer
I have a Compac Sr 2030NX computer. I have added an additional meg of memory and would like to upgrade the processor from an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ to a faster unit. I am considering an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ / 2 ghz - Socket 939. Is this compatible and will it speed up my computer? Is it worth the expense and trouble?
10/24/2010
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working with you today on your question!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Unfortunately the newer processor that you are referring to uses a different socket than the one that you have (Socket 939)

XXXXX XXXXX :

Your current computer uses a AM2 socket, so really only supports AM2 chips

XXXXX XXXXX :

In order to use the new processor you would have to replace the motherboard and possibly memory too

XXXXX XXXXX :

the motherboard alone runs about $100-150

XXXXX XXXXX :

Frankly, if you feel that your computer is due for a speed upgrade

XXXXX XXXXX :

I would recommend considering purchasing a completely new pre-assembled unit many of which can be found in the <$500 category.

XXXXX XXXXX :

The benefit of getting a new computer is not so much the cost of components which is usually comparable, but the cost of a new operating system like Windows 7 is usually negligible if you bought it with a new computer versus trying to upgrade yourself which will run you from $70-150 alone

XXXXX XXXXX :

Let me know if this answers your question or if I can be of further assistance

Customer :

I have considered a new system but have found the processor and heat sink for less than $150. I am able to get the operating system at a negligible cost through my son and therefore feel inclined to upgrade the processor. Is my choice of the X2 appropriate?

XXXXX XXXXX :

It will certainly be faster however again you will also need a new main board

XXXXX XXXXX :

so you'd have to consider factoring the cost of a new motherboard that would also have to fit your case

XXXXX XXXXX :

at all this expense I would ask why just upgrade to the X2 3800+

XXXXX XXXXX :

why not something even more modern if you're replacing your motherboard too?

Customer :

why would I need a new motherboard when the existing processor uses a 939 socket (I think) and the new processor is also a 939? Perhaps a better heat sink would be needed also.

XXXXX XXXXX :

It depends on the processor

XXXXX XXXXX :

Your computer has a AM2 socket, so you need to get an AM2 compatible CPU

XXXXX XXXXX :

Your current computer has a AM2 socket (940 pin).

XXXXX XXXXX :

This is NOT compatible with the 939-pin CPU's

XXXXX XXXXX :

You will need to get an AM2 CPU

XXXXX XXXXX :

BUT further research suggests that the X2 3800+ is an AM2 socket

XXXXX XXXXX :

NOT a 939 pin

XXXXX XXXXX :

So I think we are both right

XXXXX XXXXX :

I would consider a X2 5000 instead of a X2 3800 if you want even more bang for your buck with your current motherboard

XXXXX XXXXX :

Would consider looking at price differentials at the above site

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am actually curious about a cpu processor upgrade and am
I am actually curious about a cpu processor upgrade and am not quite sure what the maximum upgrade could be. Its a gateway 350A T series… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Manager operations,
I have an emachine t6524 with 4 gig memory that is running
I have an emachine t6524 with 4 gig memory that is running slow. i am thinking of replacing the socket 939 pin that came with the machine. need to know either what mother board is in machine or what p… read more
technicalcat
technicalcat
I have an HP Work station. It AMD Athlon II [email protected] 260 Processor.
I have an HP Work station. It AMD Athlon II [email protected] 260 Processor. 3.2 ghz installed memory 2gb 32 bit operating system . I want to add 8 mg of memory which i bought from crucial when they scanned my syste… read more
Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell
Stop searching for answers—
I bought the amd phenom 2 black edition to upgrade my processor. when i install it the com
I bought the amd phenom 2 black edition to upgrade my processor. when i install it the computer screen just stays black and it never boots up.… read more
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech
Manager,
my motherboard model number is XXXXX and my processor is
my motherboard model number is XXXXX and my processor is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ and it's a socket AM2. can i upgrade my processor to another one that has an AM2 socket, or does my motherboard have a l… read more
Travis B.
Travis B.
Computer Technician,
I purchased a Model P7-1037C HP tower and would like to double
I purchased a Model P7-1037C HP tower and would like to double the memory. Now it has 16 Meg of DDR3 memory in 2 8 meg sticks.I would like to buy 2 more sticks. Ther ser # XXXXX the machine is MXU1310… read more
Hardware Engineer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have an emachine el1300g-02w Can I upgrade the processor
I have an emachine el1300g-02w? Can I upgrade the processor with one of the newer AMD processor or which processor can be use. Currently the processor in the machine is AMD Athlon 2650e processor.… read more
boxfrederick
boxfrederick
Free lance software developer,
I have an older computer that is running a Athlon 64 3800 (939
I have an older computer that is running a Athlon 64 3800 (939 chipset) at 2.4GHz. I am looking for a cheap upgrade that will not involve a motherboard change. I see that the Athlon 64x2 dual core ran… read more
Carl L
Carl L
Owner/CEO,
I am interested in starting to build some PC systems for my
I am interested in starting to build some PC systems for my school. They should be compatible with windows 7 have networking capability, headphone and speaker accessiblity, maybe 2gb memory and reason… read more
DRobertson
DRobertson
Owner/Technician,
i have a compaq pasario model sr5113wm with an amd athlon(tm)
i have a compaq pasario model sr5113wm with an amd athlon(tm) 64 x2 dual core processor 3600+ 1.90 ghz and 32 bit operating system. the processor score is 4.7 memory,graphics and gaminging graphics ar… read more
Nirjhar18
Nirjhar18
Network Admin,
i have a hp a1250n w/ adm athlon 64+2 3800+processor 1/99GHz.
i have a hp a1250n w/ adm athlon 64+2 3800+processor 1/99GHz. can i up grade to athlon2+4 propus 2.6GHz 95w quad core processor, socket AM3 ?… read more
SergioC
SergioC
I have a desktop computer with amd athlon 3400+ cpu. What can
I have a desktop computer with amd athlon 3400+ cpu. What can I upgrade it to make it alot faster?… read more
mary
mary
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Gateway GT5426E in which I have upgraded the Power
I have a Gateway GT5426E in which I have upgraded the Power Supply, graphics card and hard drive. I am know considering upgrading the processor. Is this recommended and if so, what processor will work… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
I have an emachine T6414 with an AMD Athlon 64 processor.
I have an emachine T6414 with an AMD Athlon 64 processor. I would like to upgrade the processor but can't seem to find info on what would work with the original motherboard. Can you help?… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
will a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ Socket 939 work on a ECS
will a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ Socket 939 work on a ECS 761 GX-M754 motherboard? If not what motherboard do I need?… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
I have a 3 1/2 yr old HP a1130n desktop PC Win XP media center
I have a 3 1/2 yr old HP a1130n desktop PC Win XP media center 32bit OS 939 socket single core AMD 64 Athalon processor. I installed 3Gb Ram asolid state 120 Gb hd for the apps and a500 Gb hd for data… read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
Can I upgrade from a AMD 64 3800+ processor to a AMD X2 ...
Can I upgrade from a AMD 64 3800+ processor to a AMD X2 5000+ Dual Core I am running an ACER Aspire AST180-UA381B (T180) with an ACER motherboard EM61SM/EM61PM Chipset NVIDIA MCP61 Rev A3 and SouthBri… read more
Vincent
Vincent
Owner,
I have an HPa6114x with an amd athlon 64x2 4000+ ...
I have an HPa6114x with an amd athlon 64x2 4000+ processor. I would like to know if I were to upgrade this to a amd 64x2 6400+ processor would I need to reconfigure the bios or even if this upgrade wo… read more
Dave K
Dave K
Charter Captain & I.S. Director,