Running Windows 7 and need to run GWBasic Programs. I have

Customer Question
read it can't be done...
Running Windows 7 and need to run GWBasic Programs. I have read it can't be done since GWbasic is 16 bit. Currently running them on Windows 95.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
10/7/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Josh, Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Josh, Support Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
Josh :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you

Josh :

You cannot run GWbasic on Windows 7 but you can use Virtual PC and Qbasic

Josh :

To convert a GWBasic program for use with QBasic, use the following four steps:

1.

Start GWBasic and load a GWBasic program.

2.

Some GWBasic keywords are not supported in QBasic. These keywords are listed in QBasic's online Help menu. List the GWBasic program and note any unsupported keywords.

3.

Save the GWBasic program in ASCII format by typing:

save "programname",a

4.

Exit GWBasic by typing:

system

5.

Start QBasic and load your GWBasic program. If any GWBasic data file in binary format is used in association with a GWBasic program, the information will be scrambled when using QBasic. To correct this problem, run QBasic with the /MBF switch by typing

qbasic /mbf

at the MS-DOS command prompt.

Josh :

If you have anymore questions please respond otherwise press ACCEPT

I have numerous GWBASIC programs. To got through all of them and change keywords (commands?) would be a large task. Besides I don't have QBasic and wouldn't know where to get it. So, what about Virtual PC? You said that would work. Are you certain? Which version?

You can actually use XP mode for Windows 7, if you are using Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.

You can read about it and download the XP Mode and Virtual PC here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

If you have anymore questions please respond back otherwise press ACCEPT

The GW Basic Programs would not work on my XP computer, so why will XP mode in Windows 7 run the programs?

I apologize you did not state it would not work on a Windows XP computer.
What is the issue when ran on Windows XP?
OK Sorry for delay in answering. I did make one error in my previous posts - it is currently running in Windows 98 not 95. It runs intermittantly in XP and reacts very slowly. When it does run it does not run in full screen but only in the command prompt window. If you think it will run cleanly in Windows 7 with the Virtual PC Program, I am willing to try, but am I better off with the Virtual PC XP or Virtual PC 2007? Also, the printer I use for my invoicing with the GW Basic is an old dot matrix printer since my invoices are multi-part. I am worried about its use on Windows 7. It is an Epson Action printer 5000, ESC-P2. What can you tell me? BTW - Your answers if correct are worth more than the $38 you are asking.
The Epson Action Printer 5000 is compatible with Windows 7. You can check the compatibility here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Detail s.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Epson%20ActionPrinter%205000%2B%20Printer&v=Epson&uid=C107011&pf=0&pi=5&c=Printers%20%26%20Scanners&sc=Other%20Printers&os=32-bit

If you click on the software tab it has links to the software programs for Windows 7.

I would use Virtual PC 2007 if you were having issues in XP and with it running perfectly in Windows 98.

You can download Virtual PC 2007 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

I am here for you every step of the way and you can always come back to this chat even after you press ACCEPT.

I know you stated my answers are worth more than the $38 for this question. If you feel that way you can add a bonus in after you press ACCEPT. (FYI)
Tried to install Virtual PC 2007 and error message appears: "You are not running on a supported operating system." I will try the XP version and try to install W98 and see what happens.

So, cannot install Virtual PC for XP since it requires Windows 7 Professional. I have Windows 7 Premium Home 64 bit. I tried installing Virtual PC 2007 SP1 anyway bypassing the error message, but I get to a point where I don't know what to do and the instructions are not clear. HELP!

Can you tell me what the instructions are?

Did you try XP mode yet or are you still working on Virtual PC?

Not sure I understand your 2nd question. It seems there are 3 versions of Virtual PC. Virtual PC 2007, Virtual PC 2007 SP1, and Virtual PC for XP. The first two are supposedly not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. As I mentioned above the XP version requires Windows 7 professional, so that didn't work. When I tried to install VPC 2007 it gave the error message I mentioned above and I did not go any further.

However, according to Microsofts compatibility site, Virtual PC 2007 SP1 should run on Windows 7 even though it gives the same error message as VPC 2007. But, this time I went past the message and eventually got lost as to what to do next. Hope that's clear. I'll attempt the install again of VPC 2007 SP1, and let you know where I get stuck.

OK take your time and let me know the exact error message or issue you face.
OK VPC 2007 SP1 installed OK, When I ran it, it brought up a Virtual Machine Wizard which allows you to create the new virtual OS. It allows you to name it (windows98) and pick a location for what they refer to as the vhd and vmc files in a Windows 98 folder under another folder called "My Virtual Machines". When this is done a "Virtual PC Console" window opens that says Windows98 not running. Of course not, since I never got to load the W98 operating system disc. So this is where I get stuck.
Tech Support Specialist: Robert O, Information Systems Manager replied 7 years ago
Robert O
Robert O, Information Systems Manager

Hello there, I was reading over Josh's recommendation to use VPC 2007 and then read your last reply. In my experience with end users, VPC is very cumbersome to use, I usually would tend to suggest using VMWare player, also a free product to use, as the interface is a lot more user friendly.

it can be found here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Again, you will need a windows 98 CD available for the installation, but vmware player allows for an "easy install" mode when creating new virtual machines.

Did not download vmware yet. using VPC I was able to load W98 CD but when starting the program using the boot disc, it takes me nowhere. Loads the disc but just leaves me with the command window and an "A" prompt. What am I supposed to do from there? meantime I will download the vmware.

the windows 98 CD should be bootable. VPC should automatically boot off the CD if there is no operating system yet installed on the virtual machine.

if it is saying A: this means that it is a floppy image that may have booted the machine, it could be VPC specific, not really sure on that one.

Ok sorry for delay over the weekend. Was able to successfully load & run Windows 98 which seems to be running by GW basic programs fine. Seems the first time I tried it the CD did not load correctly. So now my problem is getting my Epson Action Printer 5000 ESC-p2 to work. Have tried installing it in Windows 7 but the only port I have available is a USB port. The set up has a LPT1 on the screen, but how do I physically get to it? The driver I used was in Windows 7, (Epson ESC-P Number 2) but not sure if it was the right one. It prints jiberish. Epson claims they do not have a W7 driver, but if I only neede the printer on W98, do I really need it? I have tried installing the printer in Windows 98, it installs but won't print since W98 is looking for LPT1. Help!
Just to be more clear... When I installed the printer on W7 using the usb port and the driver I mentioned, it prints garbage. In this configuration, the W98 program ignores it. When I tried to install the printer on W7 in the LPT1 port, the program ignores it probably since the printer cable is still plugged into the USB port since that's all I have. W98 also still will not recognize it in this config. Don't know what to try next. Maybe it's a matter of procedure?

What are you running windows 98 under? VPC or Vmware?

If the epson is a USB printer, Vmware does usually translate the printer as a legacy device and works usually out of the box with your windows 7 as soon as you install vmware tools.

You can also install it natively and "attach" the usb device to your virtual machine, this should make the virtual machine see that a printer is plugged in. so you can install a driver in windows 98 and print directly from there.

Never got to do VMware since I discovered why VPC didn't load correctly. So I am using VPC. So, what do I do? The Epson is probably 10 yrs old. It ran on W98 on my old computer as a serial printer on LPT1. I bought a new connector cable to go from the serial connector on the printer to USB on my computer. But as I mentioned above, I can't get it to work. I thought about buying a new impact printer (24 pin) but they are very expensive and I don't know if the new ones will function in GW Basic code. So I need to try to get this one to work, or it's back to my old computer for all my business applications. If you have a solution I need to know what to do in detail. Please help. A nice tip will be in order if we can get it to work. Thanks...

VPC does not support direct USB connections, this seems to be the only way that you will get it to work. Vmware really would be the way to go if you want this printer to work, you would simply plug in the LPT to USB adapter into your usb plug, attach it to the vmware machine, install the driver for the adapter, then install the lpt driver for the printer.

VPC does not have this feature which is another reason why i would take it over VPC2007. I know it sounds like a duplication of work, but it is really a better product that is more feature rich.

Driver for the adapter?? It is just a cord bought at Office Depot with a serial connector at one end and a USB male at the other. Sorry, but some of your terms are above me. How do I "attach" the USB plug to the vmware machine after I plug it in? While I am waiting for your answer, I will download and install W98 on Vmware.

attaching usb devices to vmware is pretty easy, there are actually little icons down at the bottom of the window that show what devices you have plugged in. If you were to plug in the usb cable after booting the win98 virtual machine, (with vmware tools installed) it will pick up the device you just inserted or you can use your mouse to hover over the different icons until you find one that says "printer"
OK will try and let you know.
OK. Installed W98 in VMware. Runs OK. Plugged printer in. It recognizes printer as "USB Printer" (disconnected from host) but it still will not print. I tried to install the printer in Control Panel in port LPT1 and loaded the driver. But still NG. Did I do something wrong?
at the top of the window, there is a VM menu, under that there is "removable devices", you may need to at this point load the drivers that came with the adapter into the windows 98 machine

As I said before, there is no adapter and therefore no driver associated with it. The printer is connected with a simple serial to USB cable. See Office Depot item# XXXXX

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/169602/SIIG-printer-cable-5-ft/

Do I need something else?

maybe windows 98 is seeing it as a usb printer as well? can you open device manager and see if there are any yellow exlamation marks?

Also did you install vmware tools onto the system yet? that often fixes printer issues

I opened Device Manager in W98 and there are yellow question marks by "Other Devices/PCI Multimedia Audio Device, PCI System Peripheral, and PCI Unversal Serial Bus". Under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" there is "Generic USB Hub" if that helps. I can find no printer devices shown under Device Manager.

Yes, I have installed VMware tools. At top of window under Virtual Machine Removable Devices it shows the printer as a "USB2.0-Print" and has the option to connect and disconnect from host.

I think there may be a conflict with the ports? When I open the Printers folder in Control Panel (W98), it shows the Epson printer on port LPT1, and yet VMware sees the printer on USB2? There is no USB port choice in W98. Yet there is an option to create a new port, but I wouldn't know how to do that or even if it can be done or if that's what needs to be done.

This is perplexing, it may just not be compatible. At this point, i would suggest getting an add in parallel card for your new computer that will allow you to connect the printer via LPT1. You can then add a parallel port to the vmware product that it can use the hardware directly. This would be a pretty cheap ($15-30) addition and would definitely work as it is a real parallel port.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5732550&CatId=512

OK ordered the card overnight shipping so I should have it tomorrow. I hope it's easy to install. Will keep you posted. So after I install it, I should start VMware then plug in the printer, or plug it in first? Then do I do a regular printer install in W98 or will VMware recognize it?

plug the printer into your new parallel port, then "edit" the vmware virtual machine to add a parallel port, say "use physical port" when selecting the add option.

your windows 98 should then now see it as a usable LPT1 printer.

OK Received and installed the PCI Expansion Card. It booted up under LPT3. I went into device manager and changed it to LPT1. Added parallel port to VMware as you said, but when booting up W98 I get a message that LPT1 is being used by another program and it refuses to recognize the printer. I tried to "install" the printer via W98 but still get same message. Any clues? The printer is not installed in W7.

LPT3 seems incorrect, but this is maybe because you have plugged in the USB socket already and it is seeing it as such. you need to switch it back to what windows 7 automatically assigned. which is LPT3

in vmware, you need to shut down the win98 virtual machine

Uninstall the parallel port you just added. then re-add a new one.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
click next

Register Here
select use physical port

Register Here
in this dropdown select LPT3 not "auto detect"

Ok followed your instructions, now when W98 is booting it says LPT3 is being used by another program.
reboot your entire computer and then start win98 again.
Robert O
Robert O, Information Systems Manager

Hi- How's your Friday going? We are becomming old friends :) OK Tried what you suggested and NG. Here's the message I get at the bottom of the VMware screen when W98 is booting up.

Cannot open file C:\programdata\vmware\dndlogs\dndlog.conf The system could not find the path s...

The LPT3 device is used by another program. Failed to connect virtual device parallel0.

Maybe I have to attempt to install the printer in W7 for VMware to recognize it?

Got any ideas what to do now?

OK - I deleted Microsoft VPC 2007 SP1, deleted VMWare, and reloaded VMWare and W98 from scratch. Then when I installed the Parallel Port on VMWare and told it to use the physical port then installed the Epson Printer in W98, this time IT WORKED!! Also, I previously changed the Epson from LPT3 and LPT1 in W7 since I felt that W98 only recpognized LPT1. I don't know if it makes sense, but I figured with all the screwing around and perhaps with VPC still on the machine, it wouldbn;t hurt to go back and start over.

So, while you didn't completely solve the problem, you gave me enough knowledge and know how that enabled me to eventually solve the problem. Thanks- left you a nice tip.

great! i'm glad to hear it finally worked out for you! i was starting to begin to wonder if somehow your setup was different than mine, I have an old thermal printer that is also parallel and had to use vmware to solve the compatibility prob. So you can understand how i was perplexed why it was not working =oD Hope all goes well from here on out!
Robert O
Robert O
Robert O, Information Systems Manager