Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My lynksys WRT160N V2 router stopped working when I updated

Customer Question

My lynksys WRT160N V2 router stopped working when I updated my firmware. Now it says limited connectivity and I can't seem to fix it. I have reset my router and my modem but I have still had no luck. I also can't connect to 192.168.1.1 to reset my connections either. Do I need to buy a new router or can this be fixed?
Category: Computer
Expert:  sangita.soni replied 6 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.

please get the latest firmware from here and reinstall it.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT160N

You dont have to buy a new router just because of the firmware.

then restart everything.

if that doesnt help then you should call your service provider as the problem could be from their side. something might have changed.

good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried that earlier. I can't install the new firmware because I have no way for my computer to reconize the router. It just says limited conectivity.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 years ago.

Please try resetting the router (by pressing the tiny hole usually located on the back of your router), then check if you can connect. If it still cannot connect nor says limited connectivity, then the router is bad as something was wrong during the firmware update. There is nothing you can do now as you cannot connect computer to it since it is hardware issue. Please click here for Linksys support and scroll down for Live chat. If your router is under warranty, please click here for warranty request. Also, click here for more about Linksys warranty information.

Please click on Accept if my answer has helped you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I contacted Linksys before I went to justanswer.com and they had absolutely no information for me. they told me to create a static ip address because I have corrupted firmware on my router but I don't know how.

You cannot create static ip (or have it obtained a dynamic IP), or do anything if the firmware is corrupted. I'm sorry, only Linksys maybe able to fix this by reflashing the firmware; I think they have to fix this if it's under warranty.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I was told by linksys that I can reinstall the firmware for my router using a TFTP but they won't tell me how because my router is out of warranty. Can someone assist me with this? .
I was told by linksys that I can reinstall the firmware for my router using a TFTP but they won't tell me how because my router is out of warranty. Can someone assist me with this?
I doubt that they can use TFTP (a file transfer program) to reflash the firmware because there is no IP; no connectivity via the Internet through the router. So even if it's under warranty, they would require you to send in the router for reflash or replace. I'm sorry for the bad news, but you can get a good router for very cheap these days for about $30. Click here for prices online from Google Shopping.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I actually fixed it myself. I downloaded the linksys firmware again by connecting the modem directly into my laptop, then downloaded the tftp2.exe, set up a static ip address, connected the router to my computer, used the tftp2.exe to connect to the router and reinstall the firmware. It actually worked. After that you just type in your isp address in IE and reset all your settings and start over again.
Interesting. I know you can connect to the Internet directly via the modem, but I do not know how it is possible that you can connect to the router (as the connection cannot be established; it has limited connectivity). Anyway, I'm very glad you got it working. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Please come back next time for any computer issue.

Thanks,
-Viet