Hi, I scanned a document into my HPC5280, but stupidly saved…

Hi, I scanned a document...
Hi, I scanned a document into my HPC5280, but stupidly saved it in PDF format. I need the document to look exactly like the original but I need to be able to add information into it and edit it. Can you please tell me in what format I should save it so it will look like the original, but I can still type information into it? Thank you so much. ... Read full answer
Hi, I scanned a document into my HPC5280, but stupidly saved it in PDF format. I need the document to look exactly like the original but I need to be able to add information into it and edit it. Can you please tell me in what format I should save it so it will look like the original, but I can still type information into it? Thank you so much. I did save it to Microsoft Work and files, but can't find it in any other than the PDF format which I cannot edit or type into it. Thanks again. XXXXX 12 PAGES IN THE DOCUMENT.
10/2/2010
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

You may edit the document by converting the PDF file into a Word format, using the following link:
http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf2word/index.asp

Browse to and select the PDF file, and click 'Upload and Convert'. Now, download the converted file and make changes to it as necessary. Done that, convert the modified Word file back to a PDF format using the following link:
http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf/

Hope it helps; let me know if you have any questions.

Regards
It didn't work, PDF file is read only, won't convert to Word. Any other ideas? I did click Microsoft Word in the HP C5280 set up to scan screen and also clicked save file as, like they told me. I scanned in great, but what you told me to do still won't let me type in the form or edit anything
Okay. How many pages does the PDF file contain?

Regards
Just a moment, please, I have to count them
Okay.

Sorry to make you wait, there are 12 pages in the document.

Okay. There's a tool which will let you convert read-only PDF files to Word format, as follows:
http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-to-word.html

Download the tool, then run and install it, and check if it serves your purpose all right.

Keep me posted.

Regards
OK, thanks Bob, is it? Can I try it first or have to hit "Accept Answer" first? If I have another question on this will it cost me another $30.00?
Please try the solution first, and if it works for you, you may come back and 'accept' my answer, or if you have any question, feel free to ask later on; just bookmark this page.

Take your time.

Regards

Thanks Bob, trying it now. Don't worry, I'll pay you. Just want to see if it works first.

Did you ever figure out what format I should have saved it in the first time so I could have gotten into the document and added to it? I tried HTML, but it looked terrible. This document has to look exactly as it was given to me, only I must be able to fill in the information in it which is on lines and in various blank spaces. Thanks for being so helpful, I'll go try this link now. HP's help isn't very helpful, but then I'm very tired and not feeling very bright right now. Just a moment and I'll get back to you.

Did you ever figure out what format I should have saved it in the first time so I could have gotten into the document and added to it? I tried HTML, but it looked terrible. This document has to look exactly as it was given to me, only I must be able to fill in the information in it which is on lines and in various blank spaces. Thanks for being so helpful, I'll go try this link now. HP's help isn't very helpful, but then I'm very tired and not feeling very bright right now. Just a moment and I'll get back to you. Bob, the second link you gave won't come up, says it cannot be found. Now what?

Hmm, it opens up fine at my end. Could you try the following direct link instead:
http://tinyurl.com/2ed8cjg

Does a download window come up?

Regards
Let me try that, please stand by.
Okay, let me know.

Regards

Hi B. Rath, got distracted with something else for awhile. I tried the tiny url link you gave me, but they charge a fee and I'm going broke trying to fix this. Nothing worked, document won't convert to word so I can get in it. Did you see my other question as to what format I should have saved my scan in so I could get into it? I followed the directions in the manual for the printer HP C5280, checked save in Microsoft Word and save as file, but still can't get into what I scanned.

I did pay the $30.00, have receipt from PayPal. Anything further you can add would be appreciated. Thanks!

I see. Now, it would have been more convenient for you to save the document as an image file, i.e. in the JPEG, TIFF, etc., format, and use one of the several freeware Optical Character Recognization (OCR) softwares available, to make changes to the image file, and save it accordingly. Just to clarify, could you retry scanning the document, and let me know what formats are available for you to save the file in?

Regards
Yes, I will do that, but it will take me awhile. Sorry I cut you off last night. I waited for an answer but was so tired I had to quit. Thank you for answering today. I will get back to you when I have it scanned again, but it will be an hour or so. Is that OK?
Sure, let me know.

Regards

Oh, I printed the page with scanning directions. I'll type it to you.

1. Start the HP Solution Center.

2. Click Scan Document.

3. In the HP scanningnsoftware, do one of the following tasks:

* In the Scan to drop-down list, click a word processing software program, such

as Microsoft Word. (I did that).

* In the Scan To drop-down list, click Save-to-file, and then select one of the

following file types: (I did click Save-to-file, but made the wrong choice below).

- Rich Test Format (*.rtf)

- Tiff Format (*.tiff)

- PDF (searchable) (*.pdf) THIS is the one I hit and shouldn't have!

- Text File (*txt)

- HTML (*html)

I tried Text and HTML, but they do not come up looking like the document. The information is there, but it looks tacky. I have to find a way to have the image come up looking like the original, but so I can type material into it, put numbers on lines, etc. Hope this helps.

Oh, great. What we are looking to do here is to scan the document in Tiff Format (*.tiff), then edit it in MS Word or any other OCR software. Before that, I assume you already have MS Office installed?

Regards

Yes, I have MS Office 2007 installed. Do I have to rescan it all again or can I change the document that is in here in pdf to Tiff?

Also, forgot to tell you there was a NOTE in here, which I didn't see until too late that said: A searchable PDF does not contain editable text, but OCR is used to make the text in the PDF searchable! Wish I'd have seen that before all this happened!

I paid the $30.00 last night through Pay Pal. Do I have to pay again today? What if I have more questions, will that cost me another $30.00? Not that you're not worth it, I just didn't think I'd have this much trouble and guess I should have signed up for the 30 days free at this point. I'm not good with computers and have never done this before, scanning and typing into a document, I mean. Could you please let me know? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX've been great. I await your reply.

Oh, Okay. We may certainly try to convert the PDF file to TIFF format first, using the following online conversion tool:
http://www.zamzar.com/

Along with converting the file to TIFF format, please try selecting the doc/docx option and converting the file, just in case. Done that, let me know how you get on with it.

Regards
Bob, are any of these conversion sites free? I pulled up zamzar and it lists several, but they all charge. If they all charge, what is my alternative, scan again and put it in Tiff format? Your help is appreciated.
It looks like you clicked on an ad or two, in the webpage; Zamzar is completely free to use.

The following is what we are looking for, in the page:

graphic

Regards
Thank you, Bob. I was looking at the offer to join for $30.00 for a month. Since I am inept at computers, would you advise I do that until I get through this awful project I'm doing?
Oh, my apologies; I forgot to clarify that. Basically, you have placed a deposit of $30 for this question, and you are not required to 'accept' my answer until we have your issue resolved. No further charges will be incurred for this question, irrespective of the time and effort it takes to resolve the same.

Regards
Found Zamzar and am waiting for the email that my file is converted with the link to look at it and see if it will work. Will let you know when I get it. Thanks!
Okay!

Regards

Hi Bob, Sorry to say, Zamzar said it converted the file, but now can't find it and the link won't download. Any other ideas? I've been on a goose chase through Microsoft word and downloaded two "free" programs from Paratelogic, one is PC Health Advisor and the other is File Cure, which I hoped would helped, but now I just have more junk on my computer. All these programs want you to buy them for best results and I can't afford it. I'm debating if I can even afford to sign up with your company for a month!

Any ideas on what I can do to get the zamzar to show me my converted file or what else I can do? I'm getting desparate! Thank you.

My apologies for the delay in follow up. I assume Zamzar didn't email you the converted file?

Regards

No, they didn't. It starts to, but then says it can't find that page, try later. I've tried about 10 times now and it doesn't work.

Would you recommend I remove PC Health Advisor and File Cure from Paratelogic? I already have something similar to PC Health Advisor and don't see how File Cure will help me get at the file, though it said there was one TIFF file there, but I couldn't get at it. These are all supposedly free trials, but they give you the minimum hoping you'll buy and I can't afford to.

At this point, I'm so discouraged with myself that I can't do this think I'll have to buy an electric typewriter to fill in these forms. I have 18 pages to fill out, so you see why I was hoping I could scan this and do it online.

If you can please just advise on the Paratelogic stuff and if you can think of anyway I can get my file from zamzar or someone else I'd appreciate it. Sorry this has gone on so long.

Do you still think I should try rescanning it again and saving it to TIFF to see if it will work?

Thanks so much!

Please go ahead and remove the Health Advisor and Paretologic programs; they are nothing but unwanted programs which show up ads in unrelated webpages, to get the user to download and use them.

Now, please download the following freeware Office Convert program:
http://download.cnet.com/Office-Convert-PDF-to-JPG-JPEG-TIFF-Free/3000-10743_4-10900900.html (Click the green Download Now button)

Run and install it, then use the same to convert the PDF file to any image format, i.e. JPEG, TIFF, etc.

Done that, let me know accordingly.

Regards
OK, will do all that and get back to you. Thanks!
Okay, keep me posted.

Regards

Well, I did it and it went into Microsoft Paint. I still can't get into the document to type things into it. I did remove those other programs, as you said. Any more ideas? I'm sorry this has been such a pain.

Would it even do any good to rescan it and save it as TIFF? We just converted it to that and it won't let me in the document.

Your help is appreciated.

Did you get my last message? Sorry this is such a mess!
Well, we are making progress now; we needn't open the converted file in Paint itself. Instead, please go to Start->Programs->Microsoft Office Tools. Is there a 'Microsoft Office Document Imaging' listing present?

Regards
Checking, one moment please. NO, unfortunately!
I see, that's an optional feature often not included in the default Office installation. Now, please install the Microsoft Office Document Imaging function following the steps in the given link:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/install-or-remove-individual-office-programs-and-components-HA001234067.aspx

Done that, check if it's listed under Office Tools thereafter.

Regards
Basically, just carry out the following steps instead:

1. Click Start, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
2. In the Currently installed programs list, click the 2007 Office version that you have installed.
3. Click Change.
4. Click Add or Remove features, and then click Continue.
5. Expand Office Tools.
6. Click Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and then click Run all from My Computer.
7. Click Continue.

Let me know.

Regards
OK, when I click on the link in your last message, it gives me website and says I have tried to open an invalid link.
Did you get my last post, as follows:

3. Click Change.
5. Expand Office Tools.
7. Click Continue.

Let me know.

Regards
OK, Standby, will try this. Thanks.
Okay.
where am I typing appwiz.cpl?
Just type it in the search box in Start, and press ENTER.

Regards
I don't see a search box in Start, sorry.
No problem, just go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program, then go from Step 2 thereafter.

Regards
OK, I did all that, now what do I do? Sorry, I have to be gone a few minutes.
No problem, take your time. Just go to Start->Programs->Microsoft Office Tools. Is the 'Microsoft Office Document Imaging' listing present now?

Regards

Yes, there are two things there. Microsoft Office Document Imaging and Microsoft Office Document Scanning. I did double check it as when I first chose what you told me about, it jumped up to what was above it which must be the second thing I wrote here. I'll need to print our whole conversation since yesterday up until we're done. Is that allowed? I'll never remember all this! Thank you so much! You're a genius!

PS I'm still getting background commercials from all the sites I've been on. Hope that goes away when I can shut all this other stuff down. Glad you like computers, I hate them and they hate me! Probably why you have a good job, huh?

Glad to know that! The rest of the steps are simple enough: In MS Office Document Imaging, go to "File->Open" and open your scanned document that has been saved in the TIFF format. Go to Tools->Send Text to Word. You will get a prompt stating this process will take time, click OK. When it's done it will open up Microsoft word on its own and the scanned document will now be in editable mode. Let me know how things work out.

Also, you may print out this conversation all right, or simply add this page to your Favorites, so as to get back to it whenever needed. As for the commercials, just remove anything you had installed earlier, from the Control Panel itself.

I do like computers, but hate these tricky issues though!

Keep me posted.

Regards
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
You're going to kill me, but I can't find the saved TIFF document. I still have the website in my task bar with it in it, but I can't find it at the location it said it was. AND I've lost my place in the process of what you told me to do earlier. I'm so sorry, will you still help?
No problem; could you go to Start > Search, then carry out a computer search for the TIFF file?

Regards
The conversion website you gave me put it in C:\Output files on my Desktop, I think. I opened every version I could find and the only one is there that looks right, but that's tied in with the Microsoft Paint. The other version was one I saved in Text and looks awful. God, could this or I get any worse?
Okay, that's the file we need, i.e. the MS Paint one. Just copy it over to your desktop, then follow my earlier instructions to open it in MS Office Document Imaging.

Keep me posted.

Regards
Actually, It's in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, don't ask me why. How do I copy it from there?
All right. In Microsoft Office Picture Manager, right click on the picture > click on Properties > on the right side, click on location > go to that location and check if the picture exists in the location.

Let me know.

Regards
OK, it let me move the first page over.. Is there anyway I can copy the whole document and move it as you said earlier?
Did it move the first page over to MS Word? Also, was the whole document saved in the single TIFF file?

Regards
The first page did move, and I suppose I could move them all if I remembered what I did, but I did find the whole document in C:\Output Files and it is in TIF format, it's new name is scan0001-001.tif There is an option to copy or move the file from where it is, but I don't think the pages are going to be the right size. I'm so confused at this point I don't know what I'm doing. So sorry for the trouble.
I see. Now, in MS Office Document Imaging, if you go to File->Open, then browse to the C:\Output Files folder on the desktop, and select the 'scan0001-001.tif', and click Ok/Open; does the document come up in the Imaging program?

Regards
Only the first page, the whole thing didn't copy. Are you ready to give up? I'm getting there!
I see. In the C:\Output Files folder, how many other files are present, and what are they?

RegardsOkay, there's an easier, much more convenient process we can carry out at this point. The Microsoft Office Document Scanning function, also present in Office Tools, will let you scan single/multiple pages of a document, as well as directly provide OCR access in order to directly edit the document after scanning. Why don't we try that, instead of going through all of these complicated steps?

Regards
Found all the pages in the C:\Output Files folder only. Whatever I did before when I managed to move one page to Word did no good. It didn't convert to TIF apparently as I still can't get into the document. What a mess. I'm SO sorry this is such a mess. If you think I should just start over with scanning again, just tell me. I can't stand much more and I don't think you can, either.
Did you get my last reply, as follows:

Okay, there's an easier, much more convenient process we can carry out at this point. The Microsoft Office Document Scanning function, also present in Office Tools, will let you scan single/multiple pages of a document, as well as directly provide OCR access in order to directly edit the document after scanning. Why don't we try that, instead of going through all of these complicated steps?

Regards

OK, I'll try but do I have to edit it right away or can I save it?

You can save it first if you want, or edit it first, before saving it. I have included a support link which will walk you through the whole process:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/help/scan-a-document-HP003081250.aspx

Regards
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the link, am printing all we've talked about and I'm quitting for the day, I can't take any more. I can't thank you enough for all your help and hate to say, will have to probably bother you again tomorrow. Didn't you get the payment notice? I got my receipt for a charge from PayPal. Oh well, I'll hit the tab again and if I'm double charged worry about it then. Truly, I can't thank you enough. Take care!
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Cost calculation? Windows 10 version 1803. I scanned 126
I scanned 126 pages into a pdf file on a flash drive. File too large (34gb and limit is 25gb) to copy. Want to create a common file type that can be accessed page by page. Suggestions? … read more
Uran
Uran
IT Consultant, Network and System Admin,
Network Administration
Scanning a document on my Canon MG 8150 printer/scanne/coppier
Scanning a document on my Canon MG 8150 printer/scanne/coppier results in a PDF document. I have ths moved to Microsoft Word. The result is a copy of the original document but it does not allow select… read more
IT Manager,
I have documents I have scanned that include photos and are in PDF format. I would like t
I have documents I have scanned that include photos and are in PDF format. I would like to convert these to editable text files and keep the photos attached. Can this be done and what is the best way … read more
IT/Web Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Dell 964 All In One printer. When I scan a six page
I have a Dell 964 All In One printer. When I scan a six page document of normal text the scanned document is 123MB. I cannot attach this document to an email and mail it. Why is the document size so l… read more
Ed
Ed
Repair Shop Owner,
Do you know how to scan into WordPefect using scansnap Do
Do you know how to scan into WordPefect using scansnap? Do you go to PDF then bring PDF into word or scan directly into word? Any version of word.. most recent version of scansnap thank you.… read more
Ryan B.
Ryan B.
Desktop Support Technician,
Is it possible to convert a 700 pg genealogy book scanned by
Is it possible to convert a 700 pg genealogy book scanned by Office Max .PDF and convert it to MSFT WORD 2007 for editing and then return it to .PDF to print the corrected version. This is a one time … read more
Retired,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Why all of a sudden, can Ii no longer convert a pdf fill
Why all of a sudden, can \Ii no longer convert a pdf fill to a word document. The whole purpose of my company purchasing the Adobe Pro 8 was so that we would be able to not only create forms but conve… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
I have converted a pdf to a Word document with the intent of
I have converted a pdf to a Word document with the intent of editing the document. I used a free online pdf converter. Although the file was converted, I can't edit it. The new Word document appears t… read more
Computer Specialist,
how do I scan multiple documents into one pdf using the epson
how do I scan multiple documents into one pdf using the epson scan software with an NX415? The directions I found online start with a scan to document button that is not on my NX415.… read more
MrComputer2010
MrComputer2010
Is there a way to make changes to a pdf document I have pdf
Is there a way to make changes to a pdf document? I have pdf versions of documents I would like to use for examples in a seminar I am supposed to be facilitating in about a week. I would like delete t… read more
Tim W.
Tim W.
Computer Support Specialist,
We have several pagemaker manuals that have been put into pdfs
We have several pagemaker manuals that have been put into pdf's that we now want in Word 2003. I have tried two different pdf to word converters however, I could be at this forever trying them. The on… read more
Brett Philp
Brett Philp
IT Architect,
I have scanned a document and sent it to my pc, but I am unable
I have scanned a document and sent it to my pc, but I am unable to find it. Can you please help?… read more
J. Mar
J. Mar
IT Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I am trying to edit text on a PDF file I created. I choose
I am trying to edit text on a PDF file I created. I choose the "Text Touch Up tool", then highlight the text I want to change. When I highlight the text, a light blue box appears around my entire docu… read more
JeffreyLDyer
JeffreyLDyer
I have power point but cant edit a brochure attachment received
I have power point but can't edit a brochure attachment received in gmail. Exporter claims no security key. Can you walk me thru it?… read more
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch
Sr. Network Engineer,
What do I need and/or how can I transfer a scanned document
What do I need and/or how can I transfer a scanned document so I can edit it. My OS is Vista and I have an all-in-one printer. I am very much a novice at this, so please s-p-e-a-k s-l-o-w-l-y in non- … read more
e-solution
e-solution
I have a photosmart printer model 6280. I want to scan regular
I have a photosmart printer model 6280. I want to scan regular pictures ( not digital) into a JPEG file that I can store in my pictures folder so I can use the picture in a WORD document and manipulat… read more
Computer Software Engineer,
My hp f4180 all-in-one will scan, but it will not send ...
My hp f4180 all-in-one will scan, but it will not send the scan to a file because the drop down box is empty… read more
thick
thick
3 years of college + 2 trade school
How can I copy multiple pages at once in Adobe Acrobat/Prof
Currently, I can copy-and-paste only a single page at a time from Adobe Acrobat Professional into, say, Word or Lotus Notes. You can imagine how time-consuming this is--not including issues such as al… read more
PCman
PCman
Software Engineer / Program Manager,
Bachelor Degree