The pc downloads the microsoft Vista updates and is then closed

Customer Question
down to re boot. It...
The pc downloads the microsoft Vista updates and is then closed down to re boot. It will not down load the updates and reverts to the previous software. The error code is 80071A91.

Help please

Tim Jaggard
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
9/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: John, Computer Engineer replied 7 years ago
John, Computer Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
John :

Hi

John :

Welcome to Just Answer

John :

Please let us know when you are ready to chat

Customer:

ready when you are

John :

Ok

John :

there seems to be a problem with your sys resource manager

John :

Go to Start -> All Programs-> Accessories-> right click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.

In the Command Prompt window you will need to type the following, and press ENTER:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

Customer:

Micrsoft updates download but when pc is switched back on it is unable yo update the soft ware with the new downloads. I have found the error code 80071a91. I think our conversation has crossed. What and how do I attack this!Shall I do this now?

John :

Yes

John :

Do the process i mentioned above

John :

Restart the computer after this and try install the update again.

Customer:

I have done this and it has confirmed it completed this. Do I just try and relaod the updates again and reboot. How do I get back to you if this fails?

John :

Ok

John :

after the completion

John :

please restart your PC and install updates again

John :

Please bookmark this page before you restart your machine

Customer:

This has been done . do I just close down and re boot. How do I get back to you if this fails.

John :

Also you can always login to justanswer.com and view your question

John :

Hope you know

John :

how to contact again

Customer:

Hello again. The fix failed and I still have the same error code 80071A91

Customer:

Any idea when there will be an expert on line again ?

John :

ok

John :

Do two things over all:

First:
1. Bring up an elevated command prompt
2. Execute the following commands sequentially:

a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr

c. attrib -r -s -h *

d. del *

Second:
Start an elevated cmd.exe
Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
Del *.TM*

NOW REBOOT! After reboot updates should install.

John :

SOURCE

Customer:

sorry I do not quite understand how to do this

John :

Take the command prompt as told earlier

John :

execute the commands below.

b. cd /d %windir%\system32\config\txr

c. attrib -r -s -h *

d. del *

John :

please let me know after, so that i can guide for the next step

Customer:

what is an elvated cmd.exe

John :

it is the command prompt

John :

with admin rights

Customer:

I have completed the first stage, can you guide me through the next step please

John :

Good

John :

start again a command prompt, run as admin

John :

type

Cd %windir%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
Del *.TM*

John :

After completing this 3 steps

John :

reboot and try installing updates again

Customer:

updates were not installed properly ......again

John :

Sorry

John :

Am out of ideas, am opting put so that other experts can help you on the same.

Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 7 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Greetings, this is not an answer, but I wanted to inform you that Microsoft supports its own windows update free of charge on all their products.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?enty=PIDLESS&prid=815&med=online&enval=815&ln=en-us&tp=wm&as=1&tzone=480&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn

This should be the link for their support ticket line. The above expert ran the tests they recommend already, and just to save you time and money, I'd recommend trying to repair this with the culprits... I mean technicians over at MS first since its free.
Tech Support Specialist: John P, Information Systems Architect replied 7 years ago
John P
John P, Information Systems Architect

I've solved this problem by restarting the computer in safe mode and making a few changes: To start the computer in Safe Mode, press F8 repeatedly after restarting the computer. Choose Safe Mode as the Windows start option.

Then do the following:

1. Log on as an administrator.
2. Click Start
- type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, click Run as administrator, and then click Continue. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
attrib -s -h *
del *.blf
del *.regtrans-ms
Restart the computer.

Post back here if this does not solve your problem.

John P
John P, Information Systems Architect

I carried out the procedure and closed the pc down and then it kept re booting and switching on and off automatically. I eventually started of in repair mode. It will still not down load the upgrades

Please do the following in Safe Mode: Delete all the files/folders under \WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and reboot. Let me know if you can rerun Windows Update.

Sorry but I am a bit thick and need blow by blow instructions.Thanks

Yes, press F8 during boot as previous to get into Safe Mode. Log in as an administrator. Then click on the Windows menu in the lower left, click on Computer. Then go to your C: drive and click on WINDOWS folder, then SoftwareDistribution folder, and finally on the Download folder and delete everything in that folder.

Reboot into normal windows and try to update your system again.

I am afraid it will not even start in safe mode without constantly rebooting so I am off to th PC shop for them to try.

Thanks for your help.

I wish you well. Have a great week!

John P
John P
John P, Information Systems Architect