15% off is nice reminder. Id forgotten my membership. Timing

Customer Question
15% off is nice reminder...
15% off is nice reminder. I'd forgotten my membership. Timing is perfect; I just retired my IBM desktop and purchased a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 which I upgraded to Ultimate. I removed and saved my the HDD from the IBM for security sake, then decided to put it to use and bought an External USB Enclosure. Laptop recognized and I accessed data easily. 'nuff background. External disk XP Sp3 is still installed but I am unable to accomplish a dual boot. When booting I have the option of selecting Window7 or Windows XP; however only Windows 7 will boot. When I select XP I get an error message and instructed to insert XP disk, but nothing happens. What do I do now?

Jim Sims, [email protected]
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
9/16/2010
Tech Support Specialist: John P, Information Systems Architect replied 7 years ago
John P
John P, Information Systems Architect
Chat Conversation Started
John P :

Unfortunately, you cannot dual boot your new laptop from the old laptop hard drive. The challenge is that when Windows XP was installed on your old IBM desktop, Windows loaded the drivers for all the hardware that the IBM had on it. There is software that will strip out the hardware dependencies, but it needs to be run before you decide to migrate a system image to a new hardware platform.

John P :

If you have migrated all your data off the old drive, which is now in the enclosure, you could install another operating system on the external drive from your new Dell laptop, and make the system dual boot. Please ask any questions you may have.

John P :

Thanks,

I mentioned that when I attempt to boot to External HDD error message says insert XP installation disk. I am assuming the intent is to use the XP installation disk feature "Repair". I say assume because I wasn't able to proceed. I would think if I were able to access the Repair feature I also would be able choose the "Install" as well.
Yes, if you booted from the XP installation disk, you could install XP on the external hard drive, but actually repairing the Windows installation would not solve the issue. If you installed XP over the data, you would lose any information stored on the external hard drive.
Sorry I must not have been clear.
When I turn on the computed the boot process comes to the DOS screen which gives me the option of Windows 7 ....or Windows XP.
When I select Windows XP....I get an error message and instruction to put my XP installation disk the CD tray.
When I place the installation disk in the tray ..... I am still at the DOS screen at this point and the "Next" command fails to initiate access to the XP installation disk.

(the External hard drive IS accessible by way of Windows explorer)

Understood. Let me add some clarity to my answer:

The BIOS isn't smart enough to know that the external drive's Windows XP operating system was compiled and installed on your old IBM desktop. When you select that bootable drive with the Windows XP installed on it, Windows XP is unable to launch because it was compiled and installed on different hardware, so it will always give you a message to put your installation disk in. That's what happens when the operating system fails to boot, the operating system assumes that something is corrupt and it needs to repair itself.

If you want to reinstall Windows XP, you need to first move any files you want to keep from the external drive through Windows Explorer on your Windows 7 Dell laptop, to the local laptop drive. Then you need to reboot your computer and enter the BIOS menu, and change the order of your boot devices to CD/DVD before the hard drives. If you have your Windows XP disc in the CD/DVD drive when you boot next time, it will bring up the Windows XP menu. Now you will choose to install Windows XP on the external drive (be very careful not to install it on your local drive.)

Important things to note: Ensure that your XP installation disc is a commercial copy and not an OEM IBM copy, as many times, these disks are not full versions and will only install on the specific hardware they were shipped with.

Please post back if I failed to answer your question.

John P
John P, Information Systems Architect
I think I've got enough to proceed. It'll take some time. I will accept this answer, but would like to use you again if I run into another snag. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Jim,

I will be here for you.

Thanks,

No luck. Cleaned External Drive (from previous machine) went to boot sequence and set Extertal Drive to boot 1st. Got same message as before; 1. Insert Windows installation disk. 2. Choose Language. 3. Click on Repair.
below this was on screen; File: \NST\NTLDR Status: 0c000000e
then the message; The Selection entry could onot be located because the application is missing or corrupt.

Went back and reset the boot sequence to be the CD where installation disk is, and got an identical message.

What next?

Jim,

If you don't mind, I'll post back a few more steps to try, but in the meantime, can you tell me the exact model of dell laptop you are using, so I can see what BIOS it uses. Also, do you get a prompt to press any key to boot from CD with the installation disk in there? If you open up Windows 7 with the Windows XP disk in the CD tray, can you right click on the disk drive, select Explore and tell me what files you see?

I have my son's soccer game in a bit, and I coach, but with these questions answered, I'll post next steps after I get back.

Thanks,

Inspiron 15, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU,[email protected], 3G RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultra.

Right Click on CD drop down menu does not have "explore" but does list "expand" and shows the following Folders;
DOCS
I386
SUPPORT
VALUEADD

not in folders;
Autorun
Readme
Setup
Will I be hearing from you this afternoon?

Please advise. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Jim,

I apologize for the delay. I had an extremely long day at work, when you press F2 to bring up the bios menu, please change the boot device order to boot from the CD/DVD ROM drive first. Then save and exit the bios menu. Let me know what happens.

I discovered earlier today that I don't need to Dual Boot with Windows 7 as it has Virtual PC ability. I saved the download site from Microsoft for you;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Thought you might enjoy. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Jim, you are very right. It can run XP programs in a virtual mode. I thought you wanted to format your external drive to boot specifically into a native XP environment. I should have clarified your request first.

Thank you,

Maybe you can help me load some legacy applications which I use regularly but are not Windows7 compatible? This is my motivation to access XP.

I can definitely help. Let me know what applications you want to load.

The software is miss the most is Paperport 10. I also have 11 & 12 neither of which is an improvement on 10. Are you familiar with Paperport?

Yes, and it's not supported by Nuance in Windows 7, so you are on the right track with Virtual PC and XP Mode. Here's a complete link for how XP Mode works:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Towards the bottom of the page, you'll see To install and use a program in Windows XP Mode

That's the link you'll use to install the program. One of the important notes that I want to bring up that is also mentioned on this page, but it's stressed enough, is the the Windows XP instance on the Virtual PC is a completely separate operating system. As such, the first thing you install should be Security and Anti-virus software to protect that XP virtual instance.

I have already installed Virtual PC and I will install MS Security Essestials as soon as I know how to install from or to Virtual PC.

Per the Windows link I provided above:

• In Windows 7, click the Start button

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
    , click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode.

• In Windows XP Mode, insert the program's installation disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive; or browse to the program's installation file, open the file, and follow the instructions to install the program.

Register Here
    Installing a program in Windows XP Mode

• Click the Close button

Register Here
    at the top of the Windows XP Mode window.

• In Windows 7, click the Start button

Register Here
    , click Windows Virtual PC, click Windows XP Mode Applications, and then click the program you want to open.

• Ask Your Own Computer Question

I've got to the point of loading the Visioneer scanner and house guests arrived. I think I'm o.k. from here. I'll try again this evening or in the morning. Thanks

Thank you. Have a great night.
    zx
    Son in Law came for the weekend. He's TI for USC Irvine; took him 10 minutes. Then my luck gave out. I have been using Visioneer XP Strobe scanners for about 15 years. My latest Stobe is XP 200....the only one in the lineup they decided to discontinue. End of story....tomorrow I'm going to get a wireless all in one...and go sit in the shade. Thanks for all your help. I've got you in my data base....something else will come up....always does. Are the funds released?...Let me know. Also how to tip. Thanks. J.
    You are quite welcome, Sir. I appreciate your business. You released the funds when you clicked the Accept button earlier. As for a tip, you do that as a bonus at the same time as you click Accept. There's no need to worry about that though. I'm glad that you are satisfied.

Have a wonderful week.

John P
    John P
    John P, Information Systems Architect