I am getting error There is an error synchronizing your

Customer Question
I am getting error: There...
I am getting error:
There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web.
Error: 4201. Client. Invalid folder name.
Error with Send/Receive.
There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error : 8de00002

I can not receive emails into outlook from my hotmail account. THey are coming through to the hotmail website, but not to Outlook. I did recently try to add a folder to my outlook hotmail folder lists. What can I do to fix this? Thanks, JB
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
9/11/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Frederick S., Computer Specialist replied 7 years ago
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you. Normally, this error is caused by symbols, dashes, or long names in the folder name. Please shorten the name, remove dashes and symbols, and try to sync again. This should solve your problem. Let me know if it does by clicking Accept.
Once I got the error yesterday, I noticed that I did use a forward slash in the new folder name but did not realize that was the problem, so I deleted the folder on outlook all together and that has not helped it out at all. What can I do from here? I do not have any other ideas as the folder has been deleted and I have tried everything else I can think of.
Did you also delete the folder from your deleted items?
I tried looking for it, but it does not show up in the deleted folder. WHere can I find it? Did it go somewhere else?
Please check your Hotmail folders online. See if that folder exists with a shortened name. Do you see it there anywhere?
No, it is not in Hotmail. It never made it over to Hotmail. I checked that first thing when I had problems. It never was able to sync with Hotmail after using that wrong symbol in the Outlook folder.

I just tried making another folder with no problems and deleting it to find where it went, and I can not find that either. Where does the folder go when you delete it? Maybe it has just been deleted in the list but not permanently. ANy way to find it? JB
OK. I think the easiest solution will be to simply delete the Hotmail account from your Outlook client and add it back. Do you need some detailed instructions on how to do this? As long as your e-mail items are the same on both Hotmail's web site and in your Outlook, there should be no problem with this. Let me know - thanks.
I am nervous about doing that because of two reasons:
1- if I have not totally deleted the bad folder I made and it is floating around somewhere, then we will be back to square one. (I think that may be the problem still)
2- I do not want to lose any of my information since I am not sure how to reset the hotmail account up. I am not very outlook or even computer savy if you cant tell. :)

I woudl need point by point directions. This is very important because i have two huge meetings I am flying to Monday that I will need to access this infomation for. Please let me know what to do.

Is there anywhere I can check for the deleted folder where it may be? JB
Hi - rest assured that once you delete the Hotmail account, you will not have to worry about any extra folders.To be safe, you can do a backup of your current mail folders to an archive on your computer. I will give you all of the instructions for this. Can you please confirm that you are using Office 2007?
I believe I am using XP with Outlook 2003
Yep, XP Pro. and Outlook 2003
OK - let's break this up in two steps... The first step will be backing up your e-mail. Let me know when you're finished with these steps, or if you get hung up while doing them:

1. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
  2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
  3. In the list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
  4. Click the folder that contains the messages you want to back up. If the folder contains a subfolder that you want to include, select the Include Subfolders check box, and then click Next.
  5. Under Save exported file as, click Browse, and then specify a name and location for your backup file, for example, Mail Backup.
  6. If you back up a .pst file that you have backed up to before, click one of the following:

Replace duplicates with items exported Existing data will be overwritten with the information in the file being exported.

Allow duplicate items to be created Existing data will not be overwritten, and duplicate information will be added to the backup file.

Do not export duplicate items Existing data will be kept, and the duplicate information in the folder will not be copied to the backup file.

7. Click Finish.

Let me know when you are done with this by clicking Reply (not Accept). Thanks.
It is finishing up exporting everything now...
OK - let me know when the export is complete.
Alright Everything is exported. (including the "Sync Issues") :)
OK - great.
  1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
  2. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
  3. Click the e-mail account you want to delete, and then click Remove.
  4. Click Finish.
Now, if you don't already have Hotmail / MSN Connector installed, now is the perfect time to do it.

Please go to this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=39db2b89-af2e-41f9-a175-f93e1377959f&displaylang=en

With Outlook closed, download it, run and install it, then open up Outlook.

Once you start Outlook, you are prompted to configure the Outlook Connector. Enter the following information:
-Your e-mail address
-Your password
-Your name as you want it to appear in the receiver's Inbox

Click OK.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

After Outlook opens, your Windows Live Hotmail account appears in the Navigation Pane.

Register Here

Let me know if this takes care of the issue by clicking Accept, or click Reply. Thanks.
If I think I have the connector already which I am pretty sure i do, shoudl I try to download it again or just skip that part?
Please go ahead and download it again. They make changes to it every once in a while.
I am not being prompted to configure the Outlook connector, what do I do?
Where did you go? :) Dont leave me hanging... :) Please... JB
OK - that's not a problem.

You should have an "Outlook Connector" menu option. In that menu, select Add New Account, then restart Outlook.
Okay, did that. DO I need to go into the mail setup tab as well like a normal email add? I did what you said and it is still just sitting there. Nothing new has been added to Outlook. Will it take a while or is there a way to check if it is "downloading" or whatever? JB
Hi - did you already restart Outlook? If you have, look on the left side for "Hotmail"... you may need to click a + sign next to it to expand it to see folder underneath it. Let me know - thanks.
Okay, I sound it. The folders are there including a new one that says sync issues. Can I delete that one?

There is nothing in most of the folders, should I wait to see if the inbox and folders populate? Should I send a new email to myself to be sure that I can receive future emails and not just transfer what is already on hotmail?
Hi - to answer your questions:

The folders are there including a new one that says sync issues. Can I delete that one? - Yes.

There is nothing in most of the folders, should I wait to see if the inbox and folders populate? - Yes. Depending on your connection speed and how many e-mails you have in any given folder, this may take a while. If you click on a specific folder, you should be given a status on the bottom right of Outlook. That is not guaranteed, but it should show how many e-mails it is transferring, or at least what folder it's currently working on.

Should I send a new email to myself to be sure that I can receive future emails and not just transfer what is already on hotmail? - Yes, go ahead. Just know that it may take a while for now for you to receive it, but you should get it, yes.

Edited by Frederick Szczepanski on 9/11/2010 at 8:10 PM EST
I am still waiting. Only 25 of my 150 inbox emails have downloaded. I think much of the downloading is in the folders.
OK - let me know. It may take 1-2 more hours.
Apparently so. The outgoing emails have not started yet either. How long are you available today?
Hi. I will be available for at least another six hours.
Okay, thanks. SO far, we have not gotten very far lately. I am not sure if it is working. JB
Alright, it is done downloading everything now, but when I try to send and receive new email it is still not coming through. It downloaded a new folder for me automatically that says Sync issues. WHen I go into it, there is a log showing just a few minutes ago with the same error message:

17:13:27 2150 item(s) updated in online folder
17:13:34 Error with Send/Receive.
17:13:34 There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error :(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
17:13:34 Canceled

Now what?
Are any of your folders missing?
No, none of the folders, other than the one that I deleted myself when I all this started, but it should be gone. I am still trying to google info on it. That folder must be floating around somewhere. I have heard that it may be in a PST??? hiding. I do not know what the deal is...
How often is that error appearing? Is it every time you are syncing? If so, we will need to simply get rid of the Connector and manually enter the settings. Let me know... And regarding the folder floating around, that's not possible. It retrieved all the information that was on the Hotmail server; if that folder wasn't there, the error will not carry over from anywhere else. Each 'branch' of folders is independent from another.
There is no error. In fact there was not one showing before we did it either unless I went into the detailed report after trying to sync and nothing came in when I knew there were emails I sent.

So now the same report is there with an updated time stamp with the problem as shown here from me copying it:

Time: 9/11/2010 6:19:32 PM
Error in Mail
Error with Send/Receive.
There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error :(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
I know this seems random but sometimes this error is thrown because the date and time on your PC is incorrect. Can you please confirm that both the date and time are set to the right date/time?
Yes it is. I did just get back from a different time zone yesterday, but I doubt that would affect it.
No, that shouldn't affect it.

The only other suggestion I have for you is to switch to Windows Live Mail, which has less features of Outlook 2003 but may get you back up and running sooner...

You can go ahead and try it without having to delete your Hotmail account from Outlook. Try it out by downloading it from here: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail

Let me know what you think.
Is that something different but similar to using outlook? Would I loose all of my settings, email signatures and preferences that way as well?

I will try to take a look at it tomorrow, but I really do not want to switch off of Outlook as I have other emails going through there as well with no problem. Thanks, JB
Hi - yes, unfortunately, a lot of your settings would be lost.

I am pretty close to running out of ideas on this one.

Whenever you had Hotmail set up before, it was mirrored between Hot mail's web site and your e-mail program, right? You would receive e-mail in both places and they would stay in both places, right?
Yes, what ever happened on one would happen on the other. If I could just get the mail to come into and be received on Outlook for hotmail, I think it would be fine.
OK - the only other alternative that we would have would be to uninstall the Hotmail Connector and switch to Pops to retrieve the e-mails. The downside is that the messages would ONLY be within your Outlook client and not within Hotmail.cop's web mail. Does that seem like a viable alternative to you?
I am not quite sure if I understand. Does this mean that I could not go to hotmail.com if I wanted to? What if something goes wrong with Outlook and then I can not get mail at hotmail.com?

I think I am going to bed, this has been a long day. I was really hoping to get this resolved, however, maybe tomorrow.
Unfortunately, yes, that is what that means.

Let me go ahead and opt out so that other experts can join in. Maybe you will have a potential answer when you wake up tomorrow.

Thanks for your continued patience. It's been great assisting you. Please stand by.