Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Can I use my magnavox tv as a computer monitor when my laptop

Can I use my magnavox tv as a computer monitor when my laptop lacks a video card? If so how do I make the conection
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 7 years ago.

What is the make and model of laptop?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My laptop is a HP Pavillion dv7 mdl# XXXXX
Expert:  Karl replied 7 years ago.
Hi & welcome to Just Answer!

Yes you can use your TV as the monitor for your laptop. You will need to purchase a VGA to RCA adapter for the connection to work.

You can find one here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882339047

This will plug into your laptop Video port and then into your TV.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Please don't forget to hit "Accept" if you don't have any further questions and positive feedback is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Karl on 8/29/2010 at 9:10 PM EST
Karl, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 10+ years computer experience. 5 year in IT Management. I manage multiple servers in a variety of OS
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 7 years ago.

The above answer will likely work for you, but there maybe an easier solution. What is the exact model of your magnavox tv? Please check all the labels on the TV, especially on the back. Also, it's even easier if you have a desktop monitor.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Viet,

My Magnavox tv is mdl# XXXXX It has both a DVD and a VCR player with record capability on both. All I have is my laptop w/o a seperate monitor. I have diabetes and my vision is starting to go south on me. My laptop has an 18" screen now but I expect soon to needing a bigger monitor.

Thanks

Expert:  Karl replied 7 years ago.
Hi David,

The VGA to RCA adapter is your best bet for that TV. Since that TV does not have HDMI.

Let me know if you need any other links for the product.

Thanks!
Karl
Karl, Information Systems Manager

Since this tv has only 20", only 2 inch bigger than your 18" laptop screen, and this tv screen has bad resolution/color for the computer and your eyes anyway, and you have to purchase a cable to get this to work, I suggest to buy the big monitor now 25 to 30 inch or so. You can check your local computer store or buy online at Google Shopping.

Thanks,
-Viet
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.