I need to restore my sons Latitude D830 back to original factory

settings. He upgraded to...
I need to restore my sons Latitude D830 back to original factory settings. He upgraded to Windows 7 and is now getting a message that says it is not a valid operating systme when he attempts to log on.
8/12/2010
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
Mr. Clark :

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Mr. Clark :

There are some editions of the D830 that had a factory partition on the OEM drive. You may be able to access it.

Mr. Clark :

Reboot your PC, and look for the works "Recovery Partition" or "Recovery Boot" at the Dell splash screen.

Mr. Clark :

Most Dells use the combination of CTRL and F11.

Customer:

No recovery partition - I will try to use CTRL and F11

Mr. Clark :

If you do not have the recovery partition and/or cannot access it, you will need to use the Dell Reinstallation disc to reinstall back to factory.

Customer:

Did not come with the Reinstallation disc

Mr. Clark :

Hmm... What version of Windows is on the Microsoft OEM sticker?

Mr. Clark :

On the bottom of the laptop.

Customer:

Vista

Mr. Clark :

Which version

Mr. Clark :

Vista Home

Mr. Clark :

Home Premium

Customer:

Vista HOme Basic

Mr. Clark :

Business

Mr. Clark :

Ultimate

Mr. Clark :

Ok

Mr. Clark :

Does it say 32 or 64 bit?

Customer:

32 bit

Mr. Clark :

One option is to get a replacement Dell recovery disc. Here is one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-Re-installation-Vista-Home-Basic-32Bit-Sp1-/220645376828) for $12.00

Mr. Clark :

The other option is that you will have to obtain a full retail version.

Mr. Clark :

And reinstall Windows.

Customer:

Yeah - I was hoping there was an online fix.

Customer:

This will still not restore to the factory settings with the software will it?

Mr. Clark :

Unfortunately, no.

Mr. Clark :

It will reinstall the OS.

Mr. Clark :

The only way to get the factory settings is the recovery partition.

Customer:

ok thanks!

Mr. Clark :

Which you have stated is not on there.

Mr. Clark :

I would get the replacement Dell disc. $12 is a low price (vs a $199 full version of Windows 7)

Customer:

I assume it is not on there. I really did not understand what to look for when you told me to do so

Mr. Clark :

When you first turn on your PC... at the Dell splash screen.

Mr. Clark :

You will see something like F2 for Setup

Mr. Clark :

F12 for Boot Menu/Options

Mr. Clark :

If the recovery partition exist, there will be another option like

Mr. Clark :

CTRL F11 for Recovery

Mr. Clark :

if the partition is not installed or missing, that message will not appear.

Customer:

Yes I saw the first two, but no third option.

Mr. Clark :

Okay, I was afraid so. It is possible that either your D830 did not have a recovery partition or the partition was deleted when Windows 7 was installed.

Mr. Clark :

Was the Windows 7 installation disc an official Microsoft disc (with the holograms)?

Mr. Clark :

And a genuine product key?

Customer:

ok thanks for the help anyway.

Customer:

It was done at CLemson University by the computer staff. I assumed it was official.

Mr. Clark :

What was the exact message when he attempts to log on?

Mr. Clark :

Is it "This copy of Windows is not genuine"?

Customer:

Yes - Let me take a different deirection - when I get to System Recovery Options, it asks me to put in a password XXXXX the HOMEGROUP USER which is has admin capabilities. I do not know the password. Any way around this?

Mr. Clark :

Yes, possibility, depending on the complexity of the password.

Mr. Clark :

You can go to http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd

For Windows Vista/7, download the ophcrack Vista LiveCD iso -> Open the ISO image and burn it to a CD-R.

*If you need a free ISO burning program, please download and install Nero BurnLite 10 (http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nbl-free.php).*

Place the CD-R into the PC that you forgot the password XXXXX then boot from the CD-R.

Let the ophcrack boot up and then it should find the password XXXXX you (may take up to 30 minutes).

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you. Good luck.

Mr. Clark :

That program will extract the password XXXXX the internal Windows database.

Mr. Clark :

But if the complexity is high (more than 15 characters) it may not be able to extract it.

Customer:

When I log on as Micah (user name) I can get to next page but it does not give me the option to restore to factory settings. Internet says I have to log on with admin capabilities

Mr. Clark :

Yes, you will need to use the ophcrack LiveCD to extract the admin password.

Mr. Clark :

Once you have done so, you will need to log into the PC as an admin.

Customer:

ok thank you for your help

Mr. Clark :

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> double click Micah -> Member of tab -> Add -> type in Administrators in the field -> OK -> OK

Mr. Clark :

Reboot the PC and log in as Micah

Mr. Clark :

Should be good to go from there.

Customer:

ok will try may take a few

Mr. Clark :

But if you get into the System Recovery Options... There will be no option for factory restore there.

Mr. Clark :

And it will not bypass the not genuine flag that is turned on.

Mr. Clark :

Eventually Windows will stop working unless it is properly activated.

Mr. Clark :

Sure, I will be here to assist you.

Customer:

ok i will purchase the disc from ebay. Any chance I can get a disc from Dell with serial number?

Mr. Clark :

They will send you the same disc... and you will have to pay I believe a $10 charge

Mr. Clark :

And I believe your PC will need to be in warranty.

Customer:

Ok thanks again - I will hit ACCEPT now!

Mr. Clark :

Good luck.

Mr. Clark :

Thank you.

Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer