An Error Occurred During Port Configuration. This Operation

Customer Question
is not Supported. How does one...
An Error Occurred During Port Configuration. This Operation is not Supported.
How does one change the printer attached to port USB001
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
7/30/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer replied 7 years ago
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What printer brand and model are you trying to install ?

Thank you
Not installing a printer, just can't print all of a sudden, I have the printer attached to a USB port and when I try to configure the port I get the error message. the port points to the fax instead of the printer

1- Please click Start, "Devices and Printers" and let me know what printers do you see there

If you have the printer and also the fax listed, please right click the printer and "Select as default"

2- Also when did you get the issue ?

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If it is solved please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

The printer is a HP Officejet J4500 Series - Combo Printer/Fax,
If I Change properties on the printer and look at the port it is pointing to the fax and not the printer, I'm assuming the problem is the port is not pointing to the right printer

Ok, Please click Start, "Devices and Printers" and let me know what printers do you see there

You should have 2 printers

HP Officejet J4500 Series
HP Officejet J4500 Series Fax

Do you have both ?

Thanks
Yes

Ok, which one has the checkmark ? (set to default?)

Thank you
The Default is the Printer, the questions is what should the port USB001 be pointing to, it is now pointing to the Fax? Is this the correct port (USB001)

Yes, USB001 is ok for the printer.

What happens when you try to print ?

Thank you
It gets stuck in the Queue and I have to delete it before proceeding, Everything I try gets stuck in the Queue
OK, let's clean the printing spooler first:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer and turn off the printer.

2- Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then RIGHT CLICK "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator". The terminal black screen will be opened.

3- Type NET STOP SPOOLER and press they Enter key (you should get a message confirming the spooler is stopped now. If you get an error message please let me know)

4- Now in the same black terminal screen (see step 3) type NET START SPOOLER and press the ENTER key (you should get a message confirming the spooler is started now. If you get an error message please let me know)

5- Replug the printer and try to print

6- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

7- If it is solved please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

The test page got stuck in the queue and the printer went offline!!!!!!
Possible Solution #3:
Check the USB cable's printer end and computer end to check that it is well connected

Possible Solution #4:
Change the USB cable to a different USB port on your computer

Possible Solution #5:
Please uninstall and then reinstall the printer driver following ALL the steps on link below:

Ok, please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer software completely and then re-install it:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer

2- Uninstall the HP printer software going to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a Program

3- Download "windows install cleanup" tool. Go to
http://wikisend.com/download/560820 and click on "Download file" to download and install this tool

4- Remove any HP printer application using this tool. (if you find any)

5- Restart the computer.

6- Download the newest driver here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77039-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3645094&sw_lang=&os=4062

And click the "Install now" OR "Download only>>" button. When the download is over please run the file

Select OPEN or RUN if prompted

7- After the new driver is installed please restart your computer (BUT PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART)

8- Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer

Thank you

John Cappucci

ok, will do I have windows 7 I don't find uninstall from the control panel

No problem!

After clicking Control Panel, then click "View By: Category" then click "Uninstall a program" under "Programs"

Then please continue with steps 3 to 8

Thank you!
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX printing, Not sure what the problem was?

Sometimes the drivers need to be reinstalled, don't worry about it.

Please click the Accept button so I can get paid for my effort (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Hello Sir or Madam Smile

If I helped please remember to click the ACCEPT button, for me to be paid

A- If you have a subscription or trial membership:
Even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us you will need to click Accept so justanswer can pay me.

B- If you don't have any subscription or trial:
Even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me. You WON'T be charged twice.

Thank you

John Cappucci