Hello, I have WD external hard drive 500GB connect by only

Customer Question
USB, model # XXXXX XXXXX...
Hello, I have WD external hard drive 500GB connect by only USB, model # XXXXX XXXXX believe WD5000BMVV, it was working fine about 5 months, but by yesterday I can't access inside hard drive any more, windows 7 get sounds when I connect USB and shows it connected and working fine under device manager but can't see hard drive icon under my computer. Just don't know what to do any more.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
7/16/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Deep, Computer Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Deep
Deep, Computer Support Specialist

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Please try the following steps.
In device manager uninstall the drive.
Shutdown and disconnect the drive and reboot.
Shutdown again and reconnect the drive making sure that the power is enabled to the drive and that it is turned on.
Reboot the computer and see if it shows up. Thanks.

Please don’t forget to click on ACCEPT Button if this Answer resolves the issue. In this way I will be paid for my time and work. Positive Feedback and a Bonus is also appreciated.
Hello I did as you told me, after re boot windows, it re installed driver software and it said sucsesfully installed but still doen't show icon under computer nothing changed before and after, again it shows at device manager but can't access into it.
I will Opt Out and allow other Experts to quickly help you with the issue.Thanks.

Edited by Deep on 7/16/2010 at 4:33 PM EST
Tech Support Specialist: Frederick S., Computer Specialist replied 7 years ago
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Thank you for your question. I will assist you with this problem today. Let's get started!

Can you please tell me, if you put your ear onto the drive, if it is making any unusual clicking or repetitive noises, and if it is giving a steady hum? Is the drive silent or excessively hot to the touch? I look forward to your response - thank you!
OK I just came back from work now,
when I connect USB cable to computer windows gives sounds that connect to device, then hard drive seems want to start with little unnormal noise I hear now with LED flashing, when LED flash stops I can see hard drive at device manager but can't see under computer. After LED stops noise stops too and very silent, no hot. I tried connect other 3 computer today but no luck at all.
Tech Support Specialist: R.J. Poirier, Information Systems Specialist replied 7 years ago
R.J. Poirier
R.J. Poirier, Information Systems Specialist

The drive has gone bad. This is a common occurrence with drives and there is not a whole lot that can be done to stop it from happening. What you will want to do is see if there is still warranty on the drive. If there is Wester Digital will replace the drive for you.

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?aspsid=94267724&custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en

I know they have warranty on it, I don't even care about it, All I want to do now is access to hard drive save the date inside,

There is 12 pins and 2 pins next of USB port on hard drive, is that any thing able to connect other than USB?
Say slave this hard drive on other desk top to access it with other connection?

If the drive is not spinning up this is not something you are going to be able to recover on your own.

The only real option here would be to send the drive to a data recovery shop. The link below is a list of companies that can provide the service.

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?lang=en&selregion=americas

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I know there is service to do that, but that's not for what I looking for 100%
Tech Support Specialist: Sibu, Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist

Welcome To JustAnswer

GOto STart>>RIght click the computer and select Manage

Click on Disk Management

And check the harddisk detected there ?

Thanks & Regards

Sibu
Sibu
Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist