My computer turns on but nothing show up on the screen what

Customer Question
can I do to fix...
My computer turns on but nothing show up on the screen what can I do to fix it? I am on my laptop now but recently installed a new graphics card and windows 7 on my desktop. Please help I have never seen this before and don't know how to fix it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
7/2/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 7 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

Just to test, can you make sure the monitor cable is connected to the new graphics card.

If it is, connect it to the other video plug (onboard graphcs card) and tell me what happens as well as the make and model of the computer please

I have thought of that too and it is the same result. My computer is a dell dimension 2400. You have no idea how much I appreciate this help although I am unable to pay as much as I know it is worth. I truly wish I could afford more Frown

ok, can you take out the graphics card please.

Start the computer and keep pressing F8 until a menu appears, choose SAFE Mode and then shut it down

Then put the card back in and start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and let Windows reinstall it please (keep the monitor cable connected to the other video port)

Restart the computer and test please and let me know if the problem persists

I took out the graphics card and the started the computer but the lights on the keyboard and mouse attached to the computer won't light up and show that they are on so when I pressed the F8 key nothing happened. So no menu was displayed to get to the Safe Mode. What should I do next? If this will cost more than the deposit please let me know so I can go elsewhere and not waste any more of your time. We are not wealthy people. I can usually fix any problems that my computer has up until this problem. I am really stumped. :) Thanks So Much for your help :)

ok, thanks for the information

If nothing is happening when you start the computer (no fan running, no lights) then it looks to be a problem with the Power supply unit on the computer.

If you do hear the fan running, then I would take out one of the RAM modules and test. Do the same for all RAM modules.

If after doing this you still have the problem, then there is a faulty component on the motherboard. You can have a warranty done on it, but if no warranty exists, I would be very cautious having it repaired as this can cost more then a new motherboard.

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to ask me.

I have power to the fan and lights on the computer. I don't quite understand where you said: "I would take out one of the RAM modules and test" What exactly to you mean by "test" I am currently on my laptop and have my monitor attached to it and my desktop is right next to me. I have the new graphics card installed in a different port than it was before and have the white cable attached to the card and to my monitor. So I have both my laptop and desktop attached to the same monitor and a moment ago I turned on the desktop and it came on and so did my keyboard and mouse so I tried disconnecting the blue cable from the laptop so I could see if the desktop would keep the monitor on and it did. I disconnected the blue cable from the laptop and very briefly saw a window that said that the computer had not started up correctly and did I want to do a restore. Well before I could reach for the desktop mouse the monitor went blank. I haven't done the RAM test yet because I didn't understand your instructions. Also when I turn the computer off I have to hold down the power button because I have no visual to shut it down properly will or could that cause a problem doing so, so often? Also the computer sometimes when I turn it on acts like it is getting a sort of power surge, it will start to turn on then power down then start up again, it is really nothing I have seen before. I am trying to give you as much information as I can remember to help get to the correct answer.

Hi there,

Regarding the power supply, I feel it s not able to produce enough power for the video card that you have put in. It works, but from the symptons you are describing, it seems that the graphics card does not have the power to display the screen image.

It should work though and this is why I feel it is a problem with the power supply on the computer.

I do recomend that you have the computer checked for problems under its warranty, as you should not be experiencing these problems.

I would do this before having you check the RAM yourself, as the factory will do this when inspecting the computer.

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

So, is it the Motherboard or is it the Power Supply or is it Both? I am confused Undecided I don't have a warranty on my computer anymore. What is the cost for a new power supply? and or Motherboard?

Hi there,

From here it is very hard to tell. Regarding costs this will depend on your location

My advice would be to have a computer shop do a diagnositcs. They can then track down the faulty component and can advise you on the cost to replace it.

I do however, based on the symptons suspect the power supply, but a physical diagnostics on the computer needs to be performed to verify this.

Richard, Computer Specialist