A friend developed a PPT presentation and when she e-mailed…

Customer Question
A friend developed a PPT...
A friend developed a PPT presentation and when she e-mailed it to me I opened it on my PC , no problem, but when I open it in MAC the pictures and works are all off center, pics covering the words, etc. I need to use the mac as that is what my lap top is and my projector hooks up to it.

She then tried to send it from Vista and I could not even open it in the Mac enviorn, it just continued to duplicate everything I tried to open it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2010
Tech Support Specialist: namstech, Electrical Engineer replied 8 years ago
namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
EngineerNajeeb :

Welcome to JustAnswer!

EngineerNajeeb :

Are you and her using the same version of Microsoft PowerPoint?

Customer:

We were trying to figure that out earlier and if the versions are the same, then what? I don't think they are hers is a earlier mine is more recent. If that is the case, then what.

EngineerNajeeb :

This can be a problem due to difference in .ppt for previous versions fo Powepoint and .pptx for newer version of Powerpoint (2007 and above).

EngineerNajeeb :

Can you confirm are the two version same?

Customer:

Mine is 2004 for Mac and hers is Vista PPT

Customer:

i think think the one on my pc is a diff version but the one i need to work is mac

Customer:

Hers is 2007

EngineerNajeeb :

Can you ask her save her file as .ppt instead of .pptx and then send you a copy?

Customer:

She did send it as a .ppt...

EngineerNajeeb :

Is the version on your computer is Office 2008?

EngineerNajeeb :

Office 2008 for MAC?

Customer:

she tried to send as a .pptx but it would not open in the window

Customer:

Not 2008...2004. In fact I don't see the logo for PPT in here but I have ran other presentations

EngineerNajeeb :

Do you want to edit the document on your end also or just need to see the information in the file?

Customer:

I may need to do some editing.

EngineerNajeeb :

It would be helpful if you can mention the exact name and version of the software you are using to open the ppt file.

Customer:

Microsoft PPT for Mac Version 11.3.5

Tech Support Specialist: Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering replied 8 years ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Well, there are not a lot of options.

In this scenario you are saving a PPT file in one version of the software, then opening it up in one different version, and one different platform AND version.

There are going to be conversion problems.

If you want it to look the same, you will need to edit the file on the mac manually.

However, you also have the option (if you find it acceptable) of saving the slides as JPEG's on the original PC. They are no longer slides, but PICTURES of the slides. That way, when you open them on the mac, you are just opening a picture file. You can no longer edit it, but it will look exactly the same on all machines.

Let me know if you would like to pursue other avenues with this.

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!