Search in Documents doesnt work. It always shows no items…

Customer Question
Search in Documents doesn't work...
Search in Documents doesn't work. ?? It always shows no items match your search even if you type one letter.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/30/2010
Tech Support Specialist: APARAJITA, IT Specialist replied 8 years ago
APARAJITA
APARAJITA, IT Specialist

Have you checked the location where you are searching. If you find it correct then please download the fresh search from the link bellow:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/default.mspx

Thanks

Thanks,
When I try to download Search 4 from the link you sent me it says "the update does not apply to your system."
Vit

okie, this means that the application is already installed on your system and does not need any new one.

Please refer the link bellow and perform the search once again.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/search_for_files_in_windows_vista.html

Thanks

I seem to be able to find file names only. It used to be a breeze, now when I ask to search contents, it churns on not finding anything.

Are you saying that the searching time is taking longer recently. If this is the case then you need to defrag your harddisk so that all files get well arranged on your disk. Though this is an over night work and takes long time depending upon number of files on your system , I would request to do it once.

http://www.kongtechnology.com/2008/04/26/how-to-defrag-windows-vista/

Thank You

What I am saying is it takes forever searching but it doesn't find anything.
Thanks
Vit

Sorry, I am running out of ideas here. Will want to opt out so that other experts can continue assisting you.

Thank You

Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Please do not accept my answer until you've tested this and know it works. I think you need to reindex all of your files. It will take awhile depending on how many files you have so give it a good 15-20 min to complete the index, it'll tell you when its finished in the bottom right I believe.

To do this go to Control Panel, click indexing options. If you don't see it, you may need to switch to classic view (upper left) and then look again.

Click Modify. Put a checkbox next to C:\

Click ok.

Click on advanced. Then go to the File Types tab. Select all the file types you want to show up in searches (Check all of them if you want them).

Now go back to the other tab index settings, and click REBUILD.

If this doesn't work, don't accept my answer, just post back to me with details. Also if you get stuck anywhere just ask.

Thanks
It's telling me "indexing speed is reduced due to user activity" and it crawls.
I've closed everything except Mozilla.

Vit
Yep, its going to take awhile. Understand that it has to index each location. It only has to do this once fully.

You can customize it from within that panel as well to reduce times by changing what folders you want index'd, etc. Please be patient until its finished.