My aol password reset itself. I cant change it back and have…

Customer Question
My aol password XXXXX itself...
My aol password XXXXX itself. I can't change it back and have read every solution online to rectify this myself. Please advise as soon as possible. I truly appreciate your help!
Thanks very much
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer.

I would like to start off saying that I am not a representative of AOL. I am just giving you a straight answer as an IT professional.

It is possible that your account has been compromised by a hacker.

Please go to the forgot my password page (https://account.login.aol.com/opr/_cqr/opr/opr.psp?null).

If you cannot reset your password XXXXX way and/or cannot provide the proper credentials to reset your password, you may be out of luck.

If you have a paid AOL account, you can contact their support to reset your password XXXXX 1-888-265-8003 and simply verify your billing information and you should be able to reset your password XXXXX way.

If you have went through the resetting the password XXXXX and the answers to your security questions have been changed, unfortunately, it is very unlikely that you will be able to recovery your account, since there is no way to verify your account.

In the future, I would suggest using a password XXXXX at least 10-20 characters, with a mixture of UPPERCASE, lowercase, and numbers (1234), preferably alternating (i.e. M1y2p3A4s5S6w7O8r9D). Also make your security questions very difficult to answer. Don't use something as common as mother's maiden name or first child's name. Make the answer very difficult, and I would even suggest throwing in a sequence of numbers at the end of the answer to make it harder for the hacker.

Also, before you log in, look at the address bar of your browser to make sure you are on the right site to log in. (i.e. make sure your address bar says https://www.aol.com and not something like http:// 123abc. randomurl.com/ www.aol.com/). A lot of phishers/hackers have been using the tactic of making a page look exactly like your log on page to trick you into typing your password.

If in doubt, type in the base URL yourself (i.e. http://www.aol.com) in the browser.

The number to AOL support is 1-888-265-8003, but I will need to forewarn you, unless you have the AOL paid service, there will not be much you can do, because you will not be able to verify your identity.

If you do have AOL paid, verification will be easy because you just need to verify your billing information.

I wish you luck. In the future, I would advise taking the password XXXXX steps I listed above and invest into a paid e-mail service to ensure you can always verify yourself.

Good luck.

I have already tried the information you provided me with as I stated in my email to you. Therefore I refuse to pay the 18.00 you request from me as it did not help me and I stated the options I tried before coming to you for advice. You provided nothing so I refuse to pay 18.00 for options I already tried and explained to you. Please do not charge my account for this 18.00 as I am not satisfied and will fight the charges if you do decide to charge me and I would hate to do that. I have used this site before and have paid for advice given me that I was satisifed with. You offered me nothing new and I a not satisfied. Thank you for your five minutes of time.

No problem. I have no control over your funds, as you have to ACCEPT for them to be released.

Just for clarification, you merely stated that you have "read every solution online"... that is very vague.

I gave you the direct path to your password XXXXX If you cannot verify your secret question/answers and you have a free account, there is no possible way to recover your AOL account.

If you have a paid account, you can call AOL and verify your billing information and they will reset your password.

I apologize that you are upset, and I understand that it is frustrating, but I am providing you the only answer available. There is no other solution to your issue.

I wish you well. Good luck.