MY LAP TOP WILL NOT LOAD ITS A BLACK SCREEN WITH WRITING THAT…

Customer Question
MY LAP TOP WILL NOT...
MY LAP TOP WILL NOT LOAD IT'S A BLACK SCREEN WITH WRITING THAT REPEATS
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/29/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Can you tell me what the writing that repeats reads?

Depending on what the message says, the problem could range from hardware issues, harddrive failure, memory failure, or operating system issue.

Let me know what the message is exactly. Thank you.

THIS PRODUCT IS COVERED BY ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING PATENTS:

US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,734,094, US6,570,884, US6,115,776 AND

US6,327,625

FOR REALTEK RTL8101E/8102E(L)8103E(L) PCI-E ETHERNET CONTROLLER v1.13 (081016)

PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE,CHECK CABLE

PXE-M0F: EXTING PXE POM.

INTEL UNDI, PXE-2.1 (BUILD 082)

COPYRIGHT (C) 1997-2000 INTEL CORPORATION

AND IT KEEP REPEATING

Okay, your PC is attempting to do a PXE boot, which means it cannot find the harddrive and/or boot partition and there is no media in your CD/DVD drive, so it goes to the network card (PXE) and attempts to boot there.

When you first boot up your PC, do you see a key to press to get into the BIOS or SETUP? Press that button. Tell what is on the screen from there.

Also what is the make and model of your PC (i.e. Dell Latitude E6500, HP Pavilion dv9000)?

Thank you.

TOSHIBA SATLLITE L455D-S5976

IT SAID F2 I PUSH THAT WENT TOO PHOENIXBIOS SETUP UTILITY

Good. Okay, I need you to look for anything that reads IDE/SATA or Master/Slave.

When you find this, tell me what all is listed. I am trying to determine if your harddrive is being registered by the laptop.

Thank you.

UNDER MAIN IT HAS SYSTEM TIME SYSTEM DATE CPU SPEED HDD1/SSD1 ODD TOTAL MEMORY BIOS VERSION LANGUAGE

UNDER ADVANCED BUILT-IN LAN WIRELESS COMM SW WAKE-UP ON LAN WAKE ON KEYBOARD CRITICAL BATTERY WAKE UP LEGACY USB SUPPORT SATA CONTROLLER MODE

UNDER DISPLAY POWER ON DISPLAY

UNDER SECURITY USER PASSWORD XXXXX PASSWORD SET PASSWORD HDD1.SSD1 PASSWORD XXXXX USER PASSWORD

UNDER BOOT !HDD1/SSE1 CD/DVD FDD LAN

THEN EXIT

Under Main, what is listed for

HDD1

SDD1

ODD

Thank you.

WDC WD2500BEVT - 26ZCTO - (S2)

ODD: HL - DT - ST DVDRAN GT2ON - (S4)

BUT U CAN'T GET TO THEM

That's fine. Okay. I have good news and bad news.

Good news is : Your hardware is fine.

Bad news is : Your operating system is corrupt. Either the OS is corrupt or the boot partition is corrupt.

You will need to reinstall Windows.

There are three routes to take to do so.

#1 - Recovery Partition - If your machine has a recovery partition, this will restore your PC back to "factory"--as it was when you took it out of the box. When you boot up your machine, you should see a prompt for Recovery Boot and a key to press (most machines are F11). Press this key repeatedly until you get to the recovery console. Follow the on screen directions to restore your PC.

Alternatively, some Toshibas have a recovery console. You can access this by pressing and holding the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then turning on your laptop. Follow the on screen instructions.

#2 - Recovery Disc - If you have the original disc that came with your PC, you should have a recovery disc within them. You will need to place this disc into your PC and boot to it. When you turn on your machine, look for a Boot Menu or Boot Options prompt with the key to press (most machines use F12). Press the key repeatedly until you get a boot options menu. Here, ensure the disc is in your CD/DVD drive and then select the CD/DVD Drive option. If prompted to press any key to boot to CD/DVD, do so. From here, follow the on screen direction to complete process.

#3 - Retail OS Disc - If you don't have a partition or disc to recovery from, you will need a retail version of Windows Vista/7 to install from. Be sure you have the product key (usually with the disc) or use the same version of Windows that is listed on your COA label on your PC (colorful sticker with the Windows version and product key on it). You will need to boot to the disc with the directions listed in #2.

This is pretty much the only route you have to repair your laptop.

Feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to assist you. Good luck. Cool

Edited by Mr. Clark on 6/29/2010 at 7:03 PM EST
MY OTHER SON HAS THE SAME LAPTOP CAN I COPY FROM HIS LAP TOP TO THE OTHER ONE AND FIX THE PROBLEM

You will need a program such as Symantec Ghost 11.5 to create an image of the harddrive from your son's laptop and then apply the image to your laptop.

You will need to remove your harddrive from your laptop and use a SATA/IDE to USB cable (http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-Converter-Cable-/260511713703) to attach your harddrive to your son's laptop. From there you will need the boot disc from Symantec Ghost 11.5 to boot up to. From there you will do what is called a "disk to disk" copy. After that is complete, you will need to reinstall your harddrive back to your laptop and then boot up.

If you are interested the Symantec Ghost software, you can look at it here (http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details.asp?productID=1801&cid=76)

Honestly, it would easier to do one the three methods listed above.