Hi!! I am trying to hook up TWO monitors to my Dell Vostro…

Hi!! I am trying to hook...
Hi!!

I am trying to hook up TWO monitors to my Dell Vostro 230 desktop and i'm having trouble...

It's very easy to hook up a monitor to a laptop, but, I am having trouble with the desktop.

PLEASE ADVISE!!
6/29/2010
Ed
Ed, Computer Tech

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX thanks for using JustAnswer. I will try to help you.

Please press the Ctrl key and the D key at the same time and the Add to bookmark this so you can get back here in case you need more help related to this.

In order to have 2 monitors you must have 2 video cards or a dual video card. Splitting one output into 2 will just do what you got which is display the same picture on both monitors. You need to add an additional video card if your current card does not support dual monitors.

Ed
Ed, Computer Tech

Thanks Ed.

How do I find out if my current card can support two monitors??? Please help me through this and I will gladly tip you. Are you able to call me?

No we are not able to accept phone calls. What is the service tag on your computer. It is on a little white label usually. How many video jacks are on the back of the computer?

69HJOL1

There is the one standard, blue monitor hook up (VGA) and there is another that is dark green. The blue one is a "female" hook up, with 12-14 holes while the dark green one is a "male" hook up, DB9 i think it's called (right?). I think that dark green hook up is for speakers perhaps... wish i could send you a picture via email or phone.

help!

That is not coming up as a valid service tag number. If I use a 0 instead of the o I get a completely different system. Can you please verify the service tag number.

oh sorry! its a Q not an O.

69HJQL1

Take a look at this manual and scroll down to page 25 Vostro 220 Back View.

Is that what the back of your computer looks like with nothing installed in section 4.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos220/en/sqrg/sqrg_en.pdf

yes, but the dark green and blue are not stacked, but... yes.

can I use the dark green hook up for another monitor???

I'm not sure what you mean by stacked. The green is a serial port which will not work for a monitor. You only have 1 video port in this computer so you will have to add a video card. Dell typically makes their computers in 3 different sizes and just to be sure does yours look like this one in relative size or is it much smaller?

thank you so much for your help. What I meant by "stacked" is, in the diagram the blue port is on top of the dark green port. My computer, they are side by side, that's all.

My computer looks MUCH like this diagram. You have been very helpful, thank you so much.

I will look into adding a video card.

Here is a good inexpensive card for your system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139031